• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone else having problems WRT Ballistics?

reccecrewman

Inactive
Reaction score
Goodday all,

This is just a question to try and get feedback from anyone with the ballistic glasses w/ prescription inserts. I've had mine for a short while now and I've found that while wearing them, it's almost like a motion sickness feeling and a strong desire to bring back my lunch.  After hearing from a few other guys in my Unit, they also get similar feelings while wearing theirs.  Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with them. 

Thanks

heard that from alot of guys in my unit too.
I think I'll skip wearing them until they get that sorted out (if they ever do).
Greg

We (Med Srevices) are aware...but you will wear them. Brigade Comd directive.

Some of the disorientation is because of the way the lenses are. If it doesn't go away after wearing them for about 10-15 mins there may be a problem with the way the lenses were made.

We were given a directive yesterday (or maybe the day before yesterday... this week at least) that all soldiers in the brigade were to be wearing ballistic eyewear any time they were firing weapons - no, really, no fooling, we mean it.

DG

Are soldiers allowed to use their own sunglasses/eye wear as long as they are "ballastic" or whatever?

I'd imagine soldiers feeling sick or dizy with automatic weapons might be bad.

The directive is that the perscription ballistic inserts are now availible to all service pers, and while plastic/polycarbonate civvie glasses are allowed to be used as an interim measure, all pers are required to source issue inserts most ricky tick.

DG

Armymedic,

It would seem that the reason for this motion sickness is the fact that its a presciption set being stuffed into a set of rounded ballistics which puts the inserts at odd angles to each other and glasses are not meant to be worn like this.  Now, by wearing these glasses, are our eyes not being placed under strain to try and overcompensate for this? I mean, even if after wearing them for 10 to 15 minutes and your eyes get used to them, as soon as we put our regular prescription glasses on afterwards, then they'll be strained again because they got used to the ballistics. Could this end up harming eyes in the long run?  Your thoughts appreciated.

harmed, not likely, but I am not an expert.
I agree with what you suspect though, its mostly people who switch from flat to curved lenses. My civ glasses have a slight curve to them, and I, so far, have no trouble wearing the BEW.

Can't say that I've had the motion sickness, but they certainly fog up very easily. I've tried wearing them on patrol, to keep those pesty eye-level sticks out of my eyes at night, but they fog up so easily once I start warming up. Also, I was running a range yesterday with a cold, howling wind, and was wearing my green belaclava. It was bright, so I also tried wearing the glasses. No dice...they fogged up as soon as I started breathing (the warm breath move right up under the lenses). Although I guess any glasses would do that.

Also, ref shooting....this will never work with rundowns. Again, they will fog up as soon as you start getting warmed up. Not exactly safe on a range, either.

There's tons of anti-fog agents on the market. Some avail in sports shops that sell glasses for raquetball, etc. Just Google "anti fog".

recceguy said:
There's tons of anti-fog agents on the market. Some avail in sports shops that sell glasses for raquetball, etc. Just Google "anti fog".

Haven't found one that works when you outside below -15 and steaming from sweat as youre humping across the snow.

Sometimes something is better than nothing. You won't always be sweating at -15.

Armymedic said:
Haven't found one that works when you outside below -15 and steaming from sweat as youre humping across the snow.

What about the goggles, would they work?

I find that there are 2 problems with my 'Up-armoured' Ballistic Eye Wear:

1. As previously mentioned, the inserts follow the curvature of the Eye-wear resulting in my eyes looking through the inserts at a 45 degree angle. (I think that attributes to the motion sickness). Another thing that results is that I have no periferal vision

2. The inserts are also too close to my eyes and in fact I can feel my eye lashes brushing up against the the lenses.

I will / can not wear these glasses for a long time especially while driving. I think I will just wear my regular glasses with the BEW over-top.

Why it's important to wear your eye protection.

mr7pu8.jpg

I think I'll go with the already mentioned wearing my prescription glasses under the ballistics.

scm77, do you know the story behind this guy?

career_radio-checker said:
2. The inserts are also too close to my eyes and in fact I can feel my eye lashes brushing up against the the lenses.

This bugs me as well. The tops of the lenses actually pushes againt my eyebrows.

Most shampoo brands are actually good anti-fog agents.

reccecrewman said:
scm77, do you know the story behind this guy?
I can't remember where I found it, I'll look around to try to find it again and see if there was any detailed info.

I'm pretty sure he was hit with shrapnel and/or other debris (rocks, concrete etc) kicked up by an IED.

Back