• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anybody have any good Donair stories or favourites to eat (KOD, Roberts, Tonys)

Dang...stumbled on this thread and now I'm hankering for a KOD donair...there is ONLY one great donair place.  KOD in Sackville or Kingston, NS.  There's a guy here in Trenton that does donairs the "down east delight", but you have to get him at the right time or you're out of luck.  He only puts on one or two spits per day and if he runs out, he closes!!!  Many a night, me and the missus have had the urge only to find he'e almost out or closed early.  Needless to say, we don't go there anymore. 
SO, Shultzie, if there's a truck coming this waayyyy????????    ;D

God knows how many times in Ottawa after a night of hard partying where do I stop for the best Shawarma or Donair.The one and only Marroush Int'l Shawarma on Elgin Street.Chicken hot and sweet is where its at for me,plus you get served by the "shawarma nazi" himself,"no shawarma for you".Of course after posting this now I'm hungry for one.Plus you can't go wrong when the guy has his own song as the gimmick,see the attached video I found on youtube.The shawarma nazi is the guy in the white t-shirt dancing on the counter and yeah I danced up there the first time I went almost 7 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GPYjwnhwEY&feature=related

By far the best donair I ever tasted was in Nicosia, Cyprus. The shop was in the inner city across from the banks on the Greek side. The meat was put inside a hollowed toasted pita. Next went the tazaki sauce. Topped with shredded cabbage, tomato, salt and lemon juice. I was told the meat was a mixture of goat, lamb, oxen and spices. Nothing I've tried here is even close.

BYT Driver said:
SO, Shultzie, if there's a truck coming this waayyyy????????    ;D

Only if you catch the freight run. 

Look for the Volvo..  ;D

Nieghorn said:
One of my favourite places is Mangos near the corner of Bank and Alta Vista, in the plaza with the Timmys.   Great fresh cooked food, and if you ask for take out plate (even if you're eating in), they give you the big styrofoam container and fill to it overflowing - for less than $10!

Oh how I miss it!  :(

Timmy's is no longer there but the Mangos still is.  I think there's one not far from my apartment as well.

Sgt  Schultz said:
Only if you catch the freight run. 

Look for the Volvo..  ;D
Must be nice to still have T/T runs??  :'(    :'(

That little pizza place (names changed every 6 months or so...) next to the old Joe Comeau's makes a decent donair.

The chicken donair pizza at KOD? at Pizza Corner is not bad eats after a few pints as well.  There is also one over on Windmill Road that made a 'regular' size that near did me in once but the name eludes me.

Back in the day, Greco made the best one but they just don't seem to match up to the numerous locations here in the 'Fax that you can get them.

Donair pizza=happiness (some days).  Next to to donair pizza, Alexandria's on Queen Street (south) makes the best greek pizza I've had. 

Windmill Rd and huge. Sounds like Robert's. They are massive. But I was more inclined to Pizza Time (and Mason's in a pinch) since they delivered to Warrior Block. We were at the NSCC AVS course and staying on the third floor of WB. Every morning the cleaning hauled away an average of half a dozen donair piza boxes from our hallway alone. I still wonder how much they made off our empties over the 6 months we were there. Sure miss it there.....

Well we were neighbors then.  I am in the Block, Penthouse Suite (3rd Floor) on the renovated side with a view of the Harbour/McNabs, and your courses smoke outside our building across from the NSCC campus.  Small world.

Shannon-Dough Pizza down in the Passage is decent as well and just a hop skip and a jump away.

Many a fond memory of Pizza Corner in Hfx after a night out on the town. Watching the wobbly chicks and those sniffing after them while we sat and ate on the low wall by the church. ( waiting for a cab of course ) Roberts in Dartmouth was awesome for the flavour and that you can get your sauce in a good size cup on a take out.  Donair Subs, rock with lots of meats, Greco use to make a really good one until they went with that processed meat.  Donair Pizza again cant go wrong.  In Ottawa the Shawarma has its place, the meat is just as good as down East and yet I have not found a spot that does the sauce the way it ( in a haligonian's mind) should be.  But most of them make up for it with a really good garlic sauce and the hummus is a good dip as well. I use to have KOD's recipe for the meat and the sauce and it was then I found out the main ingredient was Carnations instant milk with sugar and vinegar.  Made some home style ones for year or two but have lost that recipe a long time ago. 

Hmmmmm it isn't the same but I think I will grab a Greco donair Sub tonight in Pet, it is now located in Pronto's that use to be part of Sassy's bar and gril or Pizza Nut before that or the Roma before they built Sassy's. 

BYT Driver said:
Must be nice to still have T/T runs??  :'(    :'(

Hey your brother told me to pass this on. He is right beside me.

[quote author=BYT Driver COOLER BROTHER]

Hey Di****ack.. Try Nova Deli on Front Street, just up the road from Kelsey. (sp?)
Give him a free Nova Scotia license plate to keep and he"ll give you a X-Large Donair free.  ^-^

[/quote]

helpup said:
Many a fond memory of Pizza Corner in Hfx after a night out on the town. Watching the wobbly chicks and those sniffing after them while we sat and ate on the low wall by the church.

I know exactly where you are talking about...it must be tradition to sit on that wall and watch the entertainment  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
I know exactly where you are talking about...it must be tradition to sit on that wall and watch the entertainment  ;D

The corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen St comes to mind.  Is that the location?  Or are we talking about somewhere on Barrington?

Close. It is the corner of Grafton and Blowers. One block north of Skin Garden Spring Garden and one block west of Barrington.

PMedMoe said:
The corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen St comes to mind.  Is that the location?  Or are we talking about somewhere on Barrington?

Grafton and Blowers Street intersections....just up from Barrington.  I think if you walk down from the corner of Sackville and Brunswick heading downhill, take the first right?  Listen for the noise and follow your nose  8)

Eye In The Sky said:
Grafton and Blowers Street intersections....just up from Barrington.  I think if you walk down from the corner of Sackville and Brunswick heading downhill, take the first right?  Listen for the noise and follow your nose  8)

Oh, THAT church!!  ;)  I haven't been to Halifax (except the airport) since 2002.  It sure changed from when I lived there in '85.  :-[

Make sure you make time to stop for dinner on the rooftop patio of "Your Father's Moustache" on Spring Garden Rd sometime during the summer. Great food and even better scenery. ;D They have gas fireplaces in the centre of the patio tables which were handy in mid September when I was there last. Tough to get into on Thursday's wing nite though. Never had the wings so I cannot confirm, maybe it was the beautiful servers they have working there... Awesome garlicky mussels though.

Skin Garden has lots of things to see during the summer....if you like MMA, Peel Pub usually has UFC on....the 'Stache has the indicated great rooftop patio...

You guys are killin me here.
I'm dying for a decent donair
and oh the memories of friday nights at the dome and the place

WrenchBender

ps. Pizza Time and Roberts are THE BEST in the world

{Hey Di****ack.. Try Nova Deli on Front Street, just up the road from Kelsey. (sp?)
Give him a free Nova Scotia license plate to keep and he"ll give you a X-Large Donair free}
Who do you think I've been talking about!!!  Nova Deli has great donairs, when he has some and when he's open.  Tell  my ID ten T brother that it is FAR away from Kelseys and we don't frequent there anymore.
Regards, BYTD

Back