• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anybody Have A US GI double strap type II duffel bag

Yeoman

Inactive
Reaction score

picture of said duffel in case you guys think I'm right out of er or something (but who wouldn't?)
anyways.
I'm curious on the size. I can get a couple of new ones at $5 a pop so I thought I'd see if they were actually any bigger then what's issued to us. The ones I got issued I swear were purposely made smaller then everyone elses. and any time I exchange the bags, I get the same size, yet I know guys that got these huge duffel bags. go figure.
Greg

umm...

At $5 each... thats a good deal.  I wouldn't turn that down.

I know, that's why I'm hoping someone already has one and can tell me that they are indeed bigger then what's issued to us :D
beats paying $35 for new ones like I see on some websites right?
Greg

You know they are in the system right?? I have one.  ;D Very nice... just make sure anything you want first you pack last... hehehe

They're issuing them at ASU Toronto. Apparently this is a stop gap measure.

They are bigger than the Cdn ones. I can get tacvest, boots, helmet, valise, goretex coat and a change of cadpat easily into one and still have room. (without having to try to pack it or 'breaking a nail' pulling the snaps shut). I'd say by about 30%.

Logisticians might be able to help you out with more info.

(Hint: make up a 'maple leaf' stencil, they come with a great big (6 ins high ) US painted on the side. Guaranteed not to impress the RSM if left on the bag)

beauty then.
I can only pick up four right now, and well they've already been sworn for.
but if I can come across more (fingers crossed), I'll pass em along.
Greg

Oddly enough I saw one of the new BMQ recruits with one of these as a kit bag.
Are we short on ours or was that just a personal thing?

Synthos said:
Oddly enough I saw one of the new BMQ recruits with one of these as a kit bag.
Are we short on ours or was that just a personal thing?

The recent recruits that are on my 3's right now all said that the double-strap style were what they were initially issued, but had to turn back in at the end of BMQ.  I asked about them in Esquimalt as well, when I was exchanging my kit.  They gave me a new (regular style) duffle bag, but I had seen someone else come in with the double-strap one.  According to stores, they were issuing them temporarily (to courses like BMQ and PLQ where they knew they would be getting them back) as the regular duffles were in short supply.

Vern, any confirmation or info on this?

I was issued mine in Ottawa last month but they didn't mention returning it; I guess I'll find out soon enough. Now if I can just find a toque and some bath towels...

Yeoman said:

picture of said duffel in case you guys think I'm right out of er or something (but who wouldn't?)
anyways.
I'm curious on the size. I can get a couple of new ones at $5 a pop so I thought I'd see if they were actually any bigger then what's issued to us. The ones I got issued I swear were purposely made smaller then everyone elses. and any time I exchange the bags, I get the same size, yet I know guys that got these huge duffel bags. go figure.
Greg
I WILL TAKE EVERY ONE YOU HAVE AT $10 EACH PLUS SHIPPING TO TORONTO. LET ME KNOW IF AND WHEN YOU WANT THE MONEY.

i have 2 of those issued to me, they arn't too bad, tho i find that they tend to open when you don't want them to... so i use a split key ring on the metal loop to make sure is stays closed.... aside from that i find that they do hold more gear than the old duffel... like stated before, make sure u pack the shit u want first as the last stuff to go in...

I was issued 2 of those; never had the other kind issued to me. They do carry quite an impressive amount of clothes and kit. And yes they do have the US stenciled in black on the side of both of them.

We've been issuing the US bags here in Borden due to a shortage of the Canadian bags. I'm not sure how long it has been going on for, or how long it will last. I just started at the stores here, so I have little info. We haven't told anyone that they have to return them at all either, but who knows, that may change, things always do.

I have one of the US bags, it certainly make the kitbag drag a little easier. 

I find the newer style (CF issue)  duffel bags don't have the strength in the seams where the end panels are sewn on...They are assembled, and the seam binding is done in one step, and the cloth used (name escapes me) tends to unweave and allow the ends to open up.

Edit - Added "CF issue" for clarity

I have one of these bags also, supply let me retain it.

DB1.jpg

WRT the seams on the inside, the sides of the bag are sewn in pretty much the same fashion that the legs on your jeans are sewn. The top and bottom of the bag, however, are not finished well at all. There is two rows of stitching, but the seams are not bound with binding tape (or serged). The unprotected seam MAY be prone to failure after a quite a LOT of heavy use.

DB3.jpg

The main issue I have with this duffle bag is that, because of its size and closure method, it tends to get overpacked way too often. The shoulder straps take a real toll because we tend to handle the US DB the same as the much tougher and more resilient CDN DB.

My US DB shoulder straps are on the verge of popping off. (not a big deal for me, I have my own sewing machine  ;) )

DB4.jpg

cplcaldwell said:
(Hint: make up a 'maple leaf' stencil, they come with a great big (6 ins high ) US painted on the side. Guaranteed not to impress the RSM if left on the bag)

WRT to the "evil" "US" which is stenciled on the Duffle Bag, I would say that it is not a big deal.... no need to freak out. God, if we defaced all Canadian kit which had US written on it somewhere....

Plus, its not like its painted in bright orange or anything. You can barely see it. If your RSM is inspecting your dufflebag for imperfections, you've got bigger concerns.

DB5.jpg

Oooo... a toolbag with US printed on it....Nooooooooooooooooo!

toolbag-1.jpg

Cheers,
Eric

Oh, and in case anybody cares, the NSN is 8465-01-117-8699. Now you can go bug supply....  :p ;D

Back