• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any Sapper Stories from 22 Field Sqn 1977-1985?

Bring on some good ole tales guys. I know there are a few good ones out there!
I remember Iggy being tied to a chair totally naked and left on the doorstep of the CO`s house, rang the doorbell and ran. The only problem was it was his wife that answered the door. Lets just say the flag was at full mast :salute:;D

I've got a few but there are all from the period 90-92.  Interesting times as the Sqn changed drastically during that period.

Sapper6

I would still be interested to hear a few tales of the good ole Sqn. I hope some day there can be an ole 22 FD SQN reunion. I know there are lots of us still alive and well.

22 &?%$? You!!!!!!

Always will remember the days of having a Sapper get together in the hanger (Z-101 I think) and nobody could find Pete McDougall and behold there he was, holding a certain Major over the grease pit and all you could hear was "Call yourself an A-------" Those were the good days of being a member of 22 Field, there was not too many of us but it was a family environment.

And how could anyone forget the Engineer Birthday events at the unit, the Friday night stag and having Charlie Ralph running around and head-butting people, with that melon, you had to be feared!!!!!!

Or Wilfred Biggs coaching our hockey team dressed in a Herb Tarlic suit, only Wilfred could get away with those suits!!!!!!!

Those were the days.... of being a proud member of 22 F&*$ U!!!!!!!!!!

lovinlife said:
Always will remember the days of having a Sapper get together in the hanger (Z-101 I think) and nobody could find Pete McDougall and behold there he was, holding a certain Major over the grease pit and all you could hear was "Call yourself an A-------" Those were the good days of being a member of 22 Field, there was not too many of us but it was a family environment.

And how could anyone forget the Engineer Birthday events at the unit, the Friday night stag and having Charlie Ralph running around and head-butting people, with that melon, you had to be feared!!!!!!

Or Wilfred Biggs coaching our hockey team dressed in a Herb Tarlic suit, only Wilfred could get away with those suits!!!!!!!

Those were the days.... of being a proud member of 22 F&*$ U!!!!!!!!!!

As I sit behind this computer reading these little stories its hard to believe that 30 years has past and my memory goes back to 1977  when  their was only 27 engineers in the squadron when we got posted there after our TQ3 crse. As life would have it  the memories of a growing unit in 1977 have stayed with me and like many others sure helped in the growing up period that we all have to go through.some peoples names  are Tony Fitzherbert , Chuck Tretholm , Billy Dean, Gordie Green , Jerry Bobbit, John Payne and many more, it sure would be nice to have a reunion or just one more weiner eating contest at an engineer birthday stag .a lot of good memory's about the early sappers of the 22 FLD SQDN

Tony Fitzherbert, is this the same Tony that used to idolize Gordie Sewell!!!!!

Holy Heck, my minds a racing with stoiries from that little gem of a unit. I was just a bright eyed sapper from Cornwallis then. The master of engineers Sgt Nelligan and Gerry Devoe(sp?) picked up 50 YTEP's handed them a cap badge prior to leaving basic and we headed off to some place named Oromocto. At 18 years old and a pro flatlander I was thinking this was a bad thing. My room mate at the time Tim Tattrie said it wouldn't be so bad since he was from there.
Now the stories are many from this point, but I believe that course learnt more about Field Engineering than most other TQ3 just because of where it was located. Now when the course arrived at the unit the first few people we met were all over 6ft and at least 220 lbs and miserable. MTF
Randy

To all the former 22 F**K U guys, have a Happy New Year, all the best to each of you and your families, and as well to the new guys, a Happy New Year

ThomasRG said:
Holy Heck, my minds a racing with stoiries from that little gem of a unit. I was just a bright eyed sapper from Cornwallis then. The master of engineers Sgt Nelligan and Gerry Devoe(sp?) picked up 50 YTEP's handed them a cap badge prior to leaving basic and we headed off to some place named Oromocto. At 18 years old and a pro flatlander I was thinking this was a bad thing. My room mate at the time Tim Tattrie said it wouldn't be so bad since he was from there.

Randy,

Are you aware that Tim Tattrie is all grown up now?  He is now a Major and currently the DCO of CFB/ASU Edmonton.  Good man.

S6

I never lost touch with Tim and Tracey. He may be an officer but.., ah f@*$ it hes still an officer now. He's not all that healthy these days but he is stillsoldiering on till he pulls the pin, soon I'm thinking.

I remember as a fresh faced sapper in /83 another introduction to 22. Its the engr birthday and were parting between CE and 22, Tim and I catch a lift from CE from this strapping behemoth of a man driving a little jeep of some sort and smoking the tires around the corner out of CE and into 22, well I'm sure we were on two wheels by the time we landed in a parking spot. I can't remember his name but he lived just down the road from Al Chasse and I think he was a draftsman(exFE). what a unit this was, I don't think a training day went by without something happening that would later become a story to tell.
maybe some of you remember Wilfred and that American unit that came up for exchange, its winter time and a pretty bad snow storm, WB is upright in the capola heading out the gate with a bunch of sorry assed Ualls dragging toboggans. then no sooner turned the corner a the unit stood down due to weather. they were not a chipper bunch when they pulled into building to sort out stores.
Randy

jeesus maybe I better try spell check before I post stuff, I just read my last post, eech!
I was reading Brians post about WB and the Herb tarlic suit...Ha and he was pretty proud about coaching the unit team. I remember playing against the RCR, its the playoffs, the place is absolutely packed, people are swinging chickens from a rope, beavers from a rope. Let me try and remember some names, Chasse, Johnson, Mcdonough, Tattrie, Imeson, Fitz, can't remember any more? Some of the hardest played hockey in my career and some of the most memorable.

Hi Randy,

I received an email a few days ago from John J. and Wilfred is not doing very good these days, his health is really deteriorating. Apparently Boots is not doing so well either. I guess none of us are getting any younger!!! Is Tim not doing well either?

Man, there are too many great stories that could be told about the 22 days, I am sure the new sappers would shake their heads and wonder how we all got away with some of the things we did back in those early days of 22 Fld. Sqn. I think the ex FE, then turned draftsman you are referring to is Al Podzorski, now there was one crazy SOB but a lot of fun to me around and a good guy to have on your side...

Brian

Hi Brian, its been a long time. Tim is fighting some health issues but I think its just going to slow him down nothing more. I read the commendation Wilfred got for his work at the museum, boy he sure put an effort into that. It seemed a good fit for him in there, I know I enjoyed a visit there whenever I attended the school. I haven't heard anything WRT Boots. The dive net would know something.Your right about the Pod and at the time I was wondering what the hell I got myself into joining that posse. they were all nuts. How about the Thursday afternoons at the pub...now I can't remember its name at the mall. McGuinis (scrappy doo) would be flying over the tables at some guy and pommeling him for whatever reason. How about Melville "your arse is a star". Or who had the flying teeth everytime he laughed, he was in heavy.

Yes Randy, those were the fun days, I remember the tavern on the back side of the Oromocto mall very well. Many a beer went down range and many Sapper stories and laughs stayed in that tavern. Even the bar attached to the rink on base, many Sappers attended frequently. I am sure it is not the same attitude or comradery nowadays compared to the early days of that 22 Field Squadron gang. For a small unit, it was a very proud and tough unit.

How about the time Pete McDougal decidied to stick himself in the forehead with a knife, too funny. I cannot remember the guy with the teeth, I was in heavy then with Mark Stasiuk, Gerry Collins, Paul Hartinger, Kevin Murphy, Jack Lane (who took every fish out of the training area!!!) , Ron Bruce, Brian Bernard, Sam Dow, Don Fox. Too many funny memories from the 22 gig.

lovinlife said:
Hi Randy,

I received an email a few days ago from John J. and Wilfred is not doing very good these days, his health is really deteriorating.

i was a reserve call-out to Germany in 1971 and i had the pleasure of meeting Wilf Biggs there. He was our section APC driver, a tall, skinny guy with a long face and an attempt at a mustauche. After every road move at Hohenfels, his face was just covered with dust except for the area protected by his goggles. He came across to me as a person who'd cover your back. I would appreciate if anyone could send him my best regards. He may remember me as Lee or he may remember me as the Asian militia guy.

Remembering some names in the other threads, Dale Challice was in our section, Joe Smith ran the canteen. Lt Foreman ran Support Troop. I can't even remember the Major's name, but Hoy was SSM.

Got this off the Hussar net:

Good evening everyone.
It is with sadness that I pass on the information of another of our comrades has passed away.
Boots Boutilier passed away on 01 Aug 08 at the age of 66. Boots had lymphoma cancer and after a very lengthy courageous battle has lost the struggle.
For those that had served with the Regiment in Gagetown, Germany or Petawawa will remember Boots very well. He seemed to travel in the same locations as the HUSSARS and was both a member of the Coriano Club and 8CH SGTS Mess for a number of years.
Boots was with the Engineers and served for over 37  years. Boots was also a great hockey player. He took his commission at a later date in his career and the last time I seen Boots was in Lahr, Germany on his way to Egypt as a UN Observer. Boots loved the military and with his hard work was promoted to the rank of Major prior to retirement.
Boots settled in British Columbia in the Chilliwack area.
He is survived by his wife Brenda and his family.
A Celebration Of Life will be held at the ASU Military Base located on Kieth Wilson Road in Chilliwack at 1330 hours, Friday, August 15, 2008.

REGI PATRIAQUE FIDELIS

Ok, first of all I cant belive I ran into this. I have been in the forces now for about 30 yrs and the best ones by far were the ones I spent in 22 Fd Sqn.
I will be thinking all weekend now about the times I had there.

Back