• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any MALE "military wives" out there? And yes I mean MALE.

Nikki55

Inactive
Reaction score
I am looking for MALE "military wives"!!!

You are probably asking WHY?!!!
Well I just joined and am leaving for basic training in a few days. I am leaving my new civilian husband behind with the kids (the cats, rabbit and iguana). I was wondering if someone can let me know how it is to be a civilian husband. Are there any groups or stuff like that for my husband. Will he feel left out or right at home... Any tips on how I can help him. Thanks  :cdn:

Hi once more,

Have him become involved with the MFRC (Military Family Resource Centre)

He will get the support that is necessay

Sue

I'm part of a service couple, so until someone comes by with greater experience, I'll leave my piece as a place marker.  This is all my experience, and as such, is fairly limited.  Take everything I say as one individual's opinion and balance it against the opinions of others.

Clubs, associations, centres, and the like provided by or for Forces' spouses seem to me to be wife oriented.  When I deployed or was on training, she was approached by the organisations offering her welcome and membership despite our never having lived on base.  I was never given that option, but nor did I pursue it.  It was never really that appealing to me; I instead chose to pursue non-military organisations and pursuits.  The MFRC I generally ignored but can't really rationalize why.  If he's working somewhere, he'll also be able to get much needed social interaction when you're deployed.  Through the wonders of the Internet, I am able to maintain close contact with friends from across Canada.

Because I'm a service member, I understand what is required of my wife while deployed.  Owing to her MOC, I know she can't talk to me about pretty much all of her work and training.  As an owner of the C1A1 Male Ego, it is difficult for me to be out of the loop, but I soldier on.  I have a group of military and non-military friends & family to use as a social/support network, but I must admit, I am uncomfortable joining a predominantly female spousal organisation (it's not sexism, just misogyny).

Depending on your location, there's bound to be something for him.  This may involve joining a gentleman's sports league (read drinking club for the athletically challenged), Toastmasters, the Moose Club, the Masons... whatever.  While you're away on training awaiting the move, there's nothing stopping him from trying a few clubs and associations while he's still at home.  Large clubs tend to attract similar-minded individuals, so transitioning between chapters might be easier for him.  Our current posting requires me to drive to Toronto or Ottawa for an association meeting should I choose to attend, but I was a member at my previous posting and found similar people at the new location.  Through this site, I've been able to learn of other nonmilitary organisations at my posting that are very interesting and very similar to ones I was involved with previously.

Well said Shamrock.  There does tend to be a gap there for the male spouse left waiting at home tending the hearth.  And MFRC events do tend to be more female oriented.  But there are some MFRC groups  or individuals who do go out of their way to include the male partner in activities.  Some guys feel comfortable with all the estrogen, others don't and choose the options that you offered up.  All are good when some help or encouragement/support it needed.  I think it is great that you are trying to help him get settled and giving your hubby some support while your away, Nikki!

Back