• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annual Leave Confusion

rocksteady

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Ok here is my situation...I was a CT from the Reserves to the Regs and I am on PRETC right now...I applied for 10 days of annual leave and got a leave pass back saying that I only have 4 days of annual leave left which means I don't have the required 6 annual leave days that I need for group leave for xmas....

How can this be? What should I do about this?  Because it is my understanding that I get 20 annual leave days...

rocksteady said:
Ok here is my situation...I was a CT from the Reserves to the Regs and I am on PRETC right now...I applied for 10 days of annual leave and got a leave pass back saying that I only have 4 days of annual leave left which means I don't have the required 6 annual leave days that I need for group leave for xmas....

How can this be? What should I do about this?  Because it is my understanding that I get 20 annual leave days...

Ask for an Admin Review of your file at the OR. Do up a memo to your supervisor that outlines that you are a CT vice a direct entrant and that requests that the Unit Orderly Room check your records again ...

Many variables.  You receive 20 days per fiscal year - but when did you join the Reg F?  The number of days is pro-rated for the fiscal year if your date of CT is after 01 April.

also - how many years were you in the reserves? It could be that you may qualify for 25 days per fiscal year.

I was in the reserves for 3 years, 1 year of it was on ED & T and I had no Class B time other than being on course...I officially joined the Regs August 5th....

So I am guessing from what people are saying that I was basically pro-rated 14 days of annual leave because that is all I received?

Thanks

rocksteady said:
I was in the reserves for 3 years, 1 year of it was on ED & T and I had no Class B time other than being on course...I officially joined the Regs August 5th....

So I am guessing from what people are saying that I was basically pro-rated 14 days of annual leave because that is all I received?

Thanks

It's usually pro-rated at the rate of 2 days/month.

Ie from 01 Apr 08 until Aug 08 = 5 months ... therefore, you'd lose 10 days annual ... leaving you with 10 by my estimates.

Ask for an Admin Review of your file - they can see it ... we can't.

rocksteady said:

Thanks

Correct - you were pro-rated 2 days per month for the remaining fiscal year.

good news is (unless regs have changed again which is always possible) you will not have to wait a full 5 years to go up to 25 days.

rocksteady said:

Nah, disregard last & previous:

I've got you figured out now.

You joined in Apr - they pro-rated you for Apr/May/June/Jul X 2 per month = 8 days (you don't get those 2 days/month as you were not in the CF RegF).

Entitled to 20 days/year.

20 less 8 = 12 days of annual for you this year.
Take away the 10 days approved on your current leave pass = 2 days annual left to take.

They credited you with 2 days leave for your Class A time/Class B course time upon enrollment ... (I say this because you WOULD have been credited 2 days annual for Aug as you joined in Aug / so those 2 days must be coming for your ResF time).

2 + 2 = 4 days left to take this year.

So I figure.

Only your Orderly Room can explain it to you for sure though ...

ArmyVern said:
It's usually pro-rated at the rate of 2 days/month.

Ie from 01 Apr 08 until Aug 08 = 5 months ... therefore, you'd lose 10 days annual ... leaving you with 10 by my estimates.

Ask for an Admin Review of your file - they can see it ... we can't.

common mistake - the pro rating is done the other way - instead of subtracting you give 2 days per month served up to the max total for the year thus the 14 days for the 7 months (Sep to Mar).

CountDC said:
common mistake - the pro rating is done the other way - instead of subtracting you give 2 days per month served up to the max total for the year thus the 14 days for the 7 months (Sep to Mar).

Uhmmm, but Aug until Mar = 8 months. That = 16 days annual not 14.

ArmyVern said:
Uhmmm, but Aug until Mar = 8 months. That = 16 days annual not 14.

Scrap that.

ANNUAL LEAVE -YEAR OF ENROLMENT, RE-ENROLMENT OR TRANSFER
51.    In the leave year during which a member of the Regular Force is
enrolled in, re-enrolled in, or transferred to the Regular Force,
calculation of the annual leave entitlement commences with the first full
calendar month of paid service in the Regular Force
.  In respect of the
first leave year, a member is entitled to two working days for each
calendar month of paid service that is completed during that leave year, to
a maximum of:

a.  24 working days if he has five or more years of qualifying
          service pursuant to paragraph 50; or

b.  20 working days in all other cases.

And, I guess, his first full month is Sept ... 14 days.

;D you got it Vern - almost disappointed me after the other posts of yours I have read but you pulled out the save at the last minute.

CountDC said:
;D you got it Vern - almost disappointed me after the other posts of yours I have read but you pulled out the save at the last minute.

Perhaps, but man oh man it really, no really, sucks to be him starting the 5th Aug vice the 1st. Else he'd have his 6 days left for Christmas/New Year's leave; life - sometimes - is a damn bitch.

ArmyVern said:
Perhaps, but man oh man it really, no really, sucks to be him starting the 5th Aug vice the 1st. Else he'd have his 6 days left for Christmas/New Year's leave; life - sometimes - is a damn *****.

true - unfortunately they don't take leave into account when they issue enrollment dates. Had one mbr start on the 2nd of the month simply because the 1st fell on a Sunday.  I contacted the person listed on one of the messages as POC and asked if they would change it so that he would get the additional 2 days - luckily for him they saw the point and agreed so we received an amended msg the next day.

CountDC said:
true - unfortunately they don't take leave into account when they issue enrollment dates. Had one mbr start on the 2nd of the month simply because the 1st fell on a Sunday.  I contacted the person listed on one of the messages as POC and asked if they would change it so that he would get the additional 2 days - luckily for him they saw the point and agreed so we received an amended msg the next day.

That's good to hear.

In this case, his date of 5 Aug falls on a Tuesday - probably because the 4th was a Stat holiday. Too bad that the 1st was the Friday vice the Saturday/Sunday -- or someone else might just be as nice as the person you contacted.  :-\

ALSO
you should note that, now that you've gone full time with the Reg force, you will probably receive two "shorts" at Xmass.  These are at the discretion of your Comd - but it usually works out that way....

geo said:
ALSO
you should note that, now that you've gone full time with the Reg force, you will probably receive two "shorts" at Xmass.  These are at the discretion of your Comd - but it usually works out that way....

You are assuming that those have not been included already.

CDN Aviator said:

worse is assuming that they will be given - the mbr should never make plans based on short which may or may not be granted. I always make my plans based on annual leave only - thus there is no shock if short is not granted (which has happened once to the unit I was at).

CDN Aviator said:

True.

It costs us 6 days annual here for the Christmas / New Years period ... on TOP of those 4 short (2 for Dec/2 for Jan - [if auth by the Comd]), 3 Stat, couple of "special" days and the weekends.

We know to keep 6 days of annual ... if we want the entire period off. And we know that the short is not a "given" until we see it in writing. And, we know that if we don't get those short --- then it's costing us even more annual to get the entire period off.

Thanks alot guys (especially Army Vern) for clearing up the confusion...So I guess I will just have to wait and see if I can get those extra 2 days (short?) so I can get the whole period off...

Much appreciated

Back