• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annual Army Run (merged)

Hey Mike, I got the okay from the unit yesterday to go do the run.  The flight's booked and I'm registered for the 1/2 marathon.  Any chance of getting on the Amry.ca team or are you full?  You'd probably have to contact them to have me recognized as a team member as I signed up as an individual.

Also, I was planning on staying at a B&B down the road, but if anyone has some room on the couch please let me know.

Glad you'll be able to do the run! I've actually set up an Army.ca group... It's like a team but has no size restriction and is easier to join. I think you should be able to join the group just by emailing the organizers, but if that doesn't work let me know and I'll sort it out.

Strike said:
Hey Mike, I got the okay from the unit yesterday to go do the run.  The flight's booked and I'm registered for the 1/2 marathon.  Any chance of getting on the Amry.ca team or are you full?  You'd probably have to contact them to have me recognized as a team member as I signed up as an individual.

I did that last year and although there seemed like a lot of emailing, it wasn't to difficult.

Army Run bridges distance between civilians, troops
By Mark Sutcliffe, The Ottawa CitizenAugust 30, 2009
Article Link

Maj. Guy Leclerc wanted to participate in the Army Run last year in Ottawa, but he was out of the country on a training exercise.

This year, he's even farther away. Leclerc is serving in Afghanistan, so he'll miss the run again.

Instead, Leclerc has decided to organize an Army Run of his own. Two weeks before the Sept. 20 event in Ottawa, he and about 400 other members of the Canadian Forces will run around Kandahar Airfield in an event meant to mirror the one in Ottawa.

"I know there are many people like me who regret a little bit that we were not able to run the race last year," says Leclerc. "And this year again, we're not able to do it because we're here in Afghanistan. So that's where the idea came from."

The two events are separated by two weeks and 10,000 kilometres. The setting couldn't be more different.

And there will be few, if any, civilians running in Afghanistan. But when the soldiers leave the start line on Sept. 6, Leclerc will be thinking of the thousands of civilian and military athletes who will be running two weeks later.

Probably the biggest appeal of the inaugural Army Run last year is that it gave civilians and Canadian soldiers the chance to run side-by-side in the same event. Last September, more than 7,000 runners participated in what became the most talked-about new race in Canada.

"I think it ended up being a day of coming out and supporting your troops," says Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, the chief of the land staff of the Canadian Forces, who ran the 5k last year. "I was very proud of Canadians who chose to participate alongside their soldiers."
More on link

I'm doing the half, and seeing the amount of people participating, I wonder If I'll meet any of you, so:

Good luck to everyone! 

I'll be running the 5 KM, I've been on course and couldn't train up to finish the Half Marathon.

Another great run and a good write up with MCpl Mitic in this year's run again.

from the Ottawa Citizen

Double amputee shows true grit in Army Run
  By Kate Jaimet, The Ottawa Citizen September 20, 2009 11:01 AM
  As Master Corporal Jody Mitic changed into his running prosthetics before the Army Run half-marathon Sunday morning, his coach Phil Marsh talked about the special challenges he’d face as a double-amputee on the 21-km route.

They would stop every 45 minutes to drain the sweat out of the prosthetics, and check Mitic’s stumps for sores and blisters that might need medical attention. Physically, training Mitic in distance running has been all about pain management, Marsh said. But mentally, he has no doubt the soldier can finish the race.

“I don’t think if I lost my legs I’d have the guts to go out and be a role model like he is,” said Marsh. “The hope from this is for any of the injured soldiers to get up and do something. It’s a pretty humbling experience.”

more at link

Fantastic day for the run.  Lots of folks from all across the country partaking in the Run.  I only wish I had eaten more the night before and perhaps a little bit of a breakfast.  I had to slow down for the last K.  Broke 30 minutes though and am satisfied with that (29:43), after not having run for over a year.  Definitely not a Speed Demon.

I am sure many were happy with the day and are already looking forward to next year.  ;D

Another article about the run is located here. 

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090920/army_run_090920/20090920?hub=TopStories

I was also very happy with my half marathon and again very impressed with the race organization.  Hopefully there will be more of us from out west participating next year.

I had a great time at the run, and was happy I even came close to breaking the top 500 in the 5KM field (540 is close right?), lot of excellent runners!

This was my first ArmyRun and I definately will be back every year I possible can.

Sadly the army didn't think it would make sense to send army personnel from the west to an event called the ARMYrun.  Good choice guys.....seriously.

To all those that did do the race, congratulations, wish I could have done it again this year but alas, it couldn't be so.  Hope you all had a good run, and I will definitely be going every year I possibly can from here on out!

"Funds raised from the run will go to Canadian military families, including a charity called Soldier On that helps current and former soldiers to stay active."
Soldier On:
http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/soldieron/index.asp
Certainly a good cause. Congratulations to all who participated and the sponsors.  :salute:

It was a great event! I was amazed by the amount of people that showed up!

I had a good race with 18m30s in the 5km. Hopefully I'll be able to run the 21km next year! :)

Congrats to all those who participated!  :cdn:

JAWS228 said:
Sadly the army didn't think it would make sense to send army personnel from the west to an event called the ARMYrun.  Good choice guys.....seriously.
I saw a bunch of PPCLI running shirts, the army may not have sent them, but they were there.  The unofficial numbers were around 1K serving, and 10K civvy.

I met a couple of guys who were in from Wainwright.  If one checks the scores, one will be able to search where folks were from.  Of course most will be from the NCR, but there are many from all across Canada and from abroad.

The MARLANT Combat Shooting Team ran again this year, we finished the matches at Connaught on Saturday (one of our guys won the QM!!!!  First time for a sailor!!!!)

So a few of us did the run.  Our 4 person team (down to 3 with illness and a broken rib hitting us) ended up placing 13th in the military men's category.

I finished the run in a personal best of 28:32 for the 5K.  (I was the anchor for the team...the others were faster!)

Had a great time, and it was impressive to see the amount of people out again this year!

NS

George Wallace said:
I met a couple of guys who were in from Wainwright.  If one checks the scores, one will be able to search where folks were from.  Of course most will be from the NCR, but there are many from all across Canada and from abroad.

Apparently, talking to the individuals from Wainwright, there were two teams, one team whose unit auth the TD to attend, and the other team where the unit did not auth.  As a result several individuals paid their own way to attend.  Basically, for most units in LFWA, funding for many of the discretionary expenditures such as the Army Run and adventure training had been clawed back resulting in the cancellation of many of these initiatives.

Anyone check out their online pics?  They e-mailed out a link to a company that  had a camera setup, it apparently sniped your runner number and lets you search for pics of yourself as you cross the finish line.

Pretty neat!

NS

Back