• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

An Arctic Army without Arctic Boots, only in Canada (From: Brown Boots)

Let's call a spade a spade.....the system is broken when we can't issue boots to soldiers. It's not the governments fault.....the fault lies with us. :facepalm:

Jim Seggie said:
Let's call a spade a spade.....the system is broken when we can't issue boots to soldiers. It's not the governments fault.....the fault lies with us. :facepalm:

If the battle school doesn't have the means to provide the minimum kit to safely and effectively train troops, it shouldn't be running the course. It sucks and screws over both the troops and the units, and it should be shoved in the face of every level above which had higher priorities. The system's broken, sure. Pips and crowns instead of boots. But somebody made a very basic bad call whenever they decided some kids' ankle boots were acceptable. Not available, no way, no how? Remit receipts for local purchase or cancel the damned course.

Brasidas said:
If the battle school doesn't have the means to provide the minimum kit to safely and effectively train troops, it shouldn't be running the course.

Amen!

Brasidas said:
If the battle school doesn't have the means to provide the minimum kit to safely and effectively train troops, it shouldn't be running the course. It sucks and screws over both the troops and the units, and it should be shoved in the face of every level above which had higher priorities. The system's broken, sure. Pips and crowns instead of boots. But somebody made a very basic bad call whenever they decided some kids' ankle boots were acceptable. Not available, no way, no how? Remit receipts for local purchase or cancel the damned course.

The issue lies particularly with the orders given. Supply Sections are being told not to issue mukluks because new ones are being made. Leaving no boots until the new Extreme Cold Weather boot system is produced and enters the system for issue. Ditto the GD boots (told only to issue CWWs). Which means they should cease winter courses until it becomes available or, reverse the order to stop issuing the mukluks.

There's been back to back issues with Res BMQs especially in Calgary since they shut the Supply Section here down. Orders are sent from here to Edmonton Garrison stores to be processed and then they courier it or someone picks it up and drives it down. No longer are recruits able to try everything on and ensure it fits and is serviceable before they leave Stores. Orders come back incomplete (no sleeping bags, rucks, boots), sizes are all sorts of frigged up.

My unit has an advantage being that my HQ is 1 MP Regt, we can book appointments with Edmonton Garrison Stores, try everything on and leave with everything in good order. Not every reserve unit is so lucky.

I have the rocky s2v's and they are awesome boots just a little expensive. Rocky alpha force are a good option for gortex/water proof style boots. I haven't tried swats but I know a ton of people who wear them. Magnums and oakley's are other common boots. I would also check out a army surplus store for mk 3 or general purpose combat boots.

If you are located in Wainwright my cadet corps up in Vermilion has mukluks.  We can do a temporary loan with the battle school I'm sure.

Northalbertan

Northalbertan said:
If you are located in Wainwright my cadet corps up in Vermilion has mukluks.  We can do a temporary loan with the battle school I'm sure.

Northalbertan

He has Mukluks

rick7475 said:
He is short boots. There is no reimbursement. He has mukluks.

If there are no boots then the supporting supply agency should be getting them either HPR or LPO.  That that isn’t happening is troubling. 

RedcapCrusader said:
The issue lies particularly with the orders given. Supply Sections are being told not to issue mukluks because new ones are being made. Leaving no boots until the new Extreme Cold Weather boot system is produced and enters the system for issue. Ditto the GD boots (told only to issue CWWs).

Mukluks are issued however they are a controlled stores right now so it requires Bde or Div(at home and don’t have the email in front of me) permission to do so.  Right now that is done to top up units and crses through bulk temporary loans that are returned as soon as the unit doesn’t need them.  There is no restriction on boots at all, if they have your size in GP then you get GP (and the others).  There is however a shortage of certain sizes as they transition to the new brown style ones.

That in a Northern army that operates in winter conditions for a good portion of the year, this has even been an issue for as long as it has been is a command as well as supply failure.  There are some exceptional circumstances, shitty planning and poor assumptions that lead to the overall shortage.  Failure to rectify that with an interim LPO buy when it became clear that a quick solution wasn’t forthcoming is more proof that the institution has its priorities in the wrong place. 

Jim, certain people are being put first.

Just not the ones without boots.... ;)

Troops having to buy their own boots is an outrage.  I would hope, but am not very optimistic, that some high priced heads would roll after this.  Either that or promoted and moved out of the way, which is more likely.

Hey I found some winter boots the CF could purchase and issue to soldiers to use on PT, ex's and daily tasks out in the snow.

16m6346.jpg

rick7475 said:
Hello,

My son is currently taking his BMQ on the weekends in the reserves over the winter. The course is 60+ recruits and they do not have enough boots for everyone. He has to wear a pair of worn cadet boots that have holes in the bottom. Since he is infantry, and as a former infantry NCO, I know he needs good boots. The MWO of the course will allow them to purchase civilian boots for the course. There is a CANEX in town where some of the other older recruits are buying some pairs there (my son is 17 still in high school). My question is what are the best civilian equivalent boots we can buy for him, either at the CANEX (limited supply) or other places like Sale or Marks Work Warehouse. Thank you for any recommendations.

Using work boots for some portion of training has been common at various times for several decades and nothing to get exited over. A decent and not too expensive pair of work boots is fine for the classroom and parade square portions of training. Usually something tan with a heal like the old combat or ankle boots.

DBA said:
Using work boots for some portion of training has been common at various times for several decades and nothing to get exited over. A decent and not too expensive pair of work boots is fine for the classroom and parade square portions of training. Usually something tan with a heal like the old combat or ankle boots.

I beg to differ sir.

Young and not do young Canadians have signed the dotted line. It's our duty to see thst they are properly trained, administered and kitted out. This includes boots.

It's a sad state of affairs we are in WRT some pieces of kit.  No mukluks to be had  :facepalm: for some army types, no boots period for some PRES recruits.  WTF is going on?  ::)

It's great that the Crse staff are 'allowing' people to buy their own kit, but should we REALLY be asking that of our troops??

Having said that, yesterday morning I broke a lace.  No problem right?  I'll just stop by Wing Supply on my way to the Sqn from the gym.  They don't have laces.  :stars:

Eye In The Sky said:
It's a sad state of affairs we are in WRT some pieces of kit.  No mukluks to be had  :facepalm: for some army types, no boots period for some PRES recruits.  WTF is going on?  ::)

It's great that the Crse staff are 'allowing' people to buy their own kit, but should we REALLY be asking that of our troops??

Having said that, yesterday morning I broke a lace.  No problem right?  I'll just stop by Wing Supply on my way to the Sqn from the gym.  They don't have laces.  :stars:

90 million sent in aid to Iraq and Syria.  Accepting 10,000 Syrian refugees.  Seems our Government has its priorities mixed up.

George Wallace said:
90 million sent in aid to Iraq and Syria.  Accepting 10,000 Syrian refugees.  Seems our Government has its priorities mixed up.

Yup, it's nice to mow the neighbors lawn for them but you should make sure you leave enough gas to do your own...

Back