• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ammo load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can't readily see how you can do that, so I will just have to say- good luck.

kkwd,

No, but thanks for the link. The link you provided reduces the weight by reducing the sectional density which means the bullet will lose velocity more quickly through air and that it will have a harder time penetrating cover and targets.

I wish I could talk about it in detail as I'm sure 99.9% of people wouldn't steal it. But it only takes one person to steal it.

Would anybody know if guiding fins at the head of a projectile would be non-sensical? I've always seen fins at the end of an object with smaller fins sometimes at the front. I've never seen an object stabilised by big fins at the front only. Is that possible?

Fins on a spin-stabilized projectile are counter-productive and would make the projectile unstable, especially if they were on the nose.

Or are you also considering not spin-stabilizing these theoretical machine-gun rounds, which invites a host of other problems.

Fins at the front would create drag that would want to spin it around so they were at the back, so it would probably be unstable, as Michael said.

It would be unstable, but not for the reasons that you state.

A spin stabilized round (ie one that engages the grooves in a barrel), by definition is stabilized.

Rounds that require fin stabilization are either fired within a sabot to prevent grooved barrels from imparting spin or from smooth bore guns.

Very true, it would probably be stable, it just might be more stable backwards if the fins were at the front...

Would there be a problem with tracer versions of your bullet design?

Galahad said:
Very true, it would probably be stable, it just might be more stable backwards if the fins were at the front...

Have you ever read anything on ballistics?

Fluid Dynamics: Yes
Ballistics: No

Can't have one without the other though...

Galahad said:
Fluid Dynamics: Yes
Ballistics: No

Can't have one without the other though...

Perhaps, but the fluid dynamics of the air passing the projectile body is a significantly less relevant consideration than the stabilization of the projectile on its three axes. 

I would suggest a broader area of study before jumping in.

qazwsx said:
Yes. I am thinking of a design that would lighten the bullet, maintain its diameter, its length and its frontal density*. If you're having trouble wrapping your head around that description, I'm sorry not to be able to give you more details as I have the patent-stealing fears you clearly saw.

* I use "frontal density" rather than "sectional density" because the latter concept is not applicable to my design.

Wow, I just finished reading the 3 pages here and I'm sure my "frontal density" just went up 14%......maybe you're on to something. :nod:

MOD PART: Unless someone comes up with something useful this thread will self destruct soon.

I could go on and on... and on.

This thread hurts my head.

Prior to designing a new round - that is just weight reduction, I would recommend you look at other ideas as well.

For instance a case telescoping round that will minimize chamber fouling.  etc.

qazwsx said:
As far as you know, how much ammo do machine gunners and machine gun teams of other countries carry? I know this can vary a lot but there must be standard loads recommended by doctrine and usual loads that would be typical.

In the Paras in the UK we carried a belt of 50rds 7.62mm per man in the platoon as an SOP. At that time we had 1 x C6 per section and 1X C6 at Pl HQ with an SF kit. In addition, each 3 man C6 (or GPMG 'Jimpy') team carried 1000rds between them. At 12lbs per belt of 200, you can see the weight start to add up, which is why battle fitness was and is such a big deal in the UK's airborne and commando forces - who planned on being dismounted most of the time.

In addition to this, we carried mags for the SLR and the usual issue of grenades etc, plus, depending on the mission, 60mm & 81mm MOR bombs and 84mm ammo.

This was pretty standard when the IWS came into use too, except, of course we carried the IW & LSW.

Infidel-6 said:
I could go on and on... and on.

Please do. I like your posts.

You once mentionned that a non-belt fed machine gun wouldn't be acceptable. Is this chiefly because of ammo capacity? If you could have 100 or even 200 rounds in a magazine, would belt-fed MGs still have a significant advantage?

The only thing that can add to this thread is a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head.  So here you go....

Once the rabbit with the batter-beret shows up there isn't more that can said about a topic,...

Let's wrap er up boys, start packing up those lighting units, lets go! there's another hundred topics going downhill that need more lighting,

get a move on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back