• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Amiens 1918

Old Sweat

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Tomorrow, August 8th, is the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Amiens, termed by Field Marshal von Ludendorff as the Black Day of the German Army. The attacking force, primarily the Canadian and Australian Corps, supported by tanks en masse smashed a huge hole in the German lines and advanced a distance unprecedented in the war, shattering the German defenders in the process. An immediate indirect result of the battle was that the Germans realized they had lost the war, and almost simultaneously Haig and Focjh realized they could defeat the Germans in 1918.

Up to that time Allied planning was based on a major offensive in 1919 after the American buildup was completed with victory that year or perhaps in 1920. And the Canadian Expeditionary Force played a major part at Amiens and in the subsequent British offensive in France and Flanders in what we called "Canada's 100 days" culminating with the armistice coming into effect on 11 November.

It will be interesting to see how we commemorate the battle.

You are joking, right?

I sadly predict that Canada's greatest feat of warfare will go completely and officially uncommemorated.

If we are lucky it might get mentioned on Twitter but I have my doubts.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/events/details/9808 said:
100th anniversary of the Battle of Amiens
Type: Commemorative Ceremony
Date: August 8, 2018
Time: 15:00 - 16:00
Details: The 100th anniversary of the Battle of Amiens will be marked with an international commemorative event on August 8, 2018, at 3:00 p.m., to be delivered by the Government of the United Kingdom in partnership with the governments of Australia, Canada, France and the United States. Please note that registration for this event is now closed.
Address: Place Notre-Dame
City: Amiens

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/events/details/9809 said:
Wreath-Laying Ceremony at the Le Quesnel Canadian Memorial
Type: Wreath Laying Ceremony
Date: August 8, 2018
Time: 09:30 - 10:30
Details: The Government of Canada will hold a ceremony at the Le Quesnel Canadian Memorial on Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. to mark the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Amiens and the beginning of Canada’s Hundred Days – a pivotal First World War offensive launched by Allied forces on the Western Front. Members of the public are encouraged and welcome to attend (no invitation required). Please arrive before 9:00 a.m.
Address: Route D934
City: Le Quesnel

https://www.canada.ca/en/veterans-affairs-canada/news/2018/08/public-invited-to-event-to-mark-100th-anniversary-of-canadas-hundred-days-and-the-battle-of-amiens.html said:
Public invited to event to mark 100th anniversary of Canada’s Hundred Days and the Battle of Amiens

News release
Quebec City, QC –Veterans Affairs Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces invite you to a ceremony at La Citadelle de Québec in Quebec City to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Amiens during Canada’s Hundred Days.

August 8 marks the beginning of Canada’s Hundred Days and the final three months of the First World War. During this period, a series of Canadian Corps’ victories on the Western Front solidified their reputation as elite shock troops. Canada’s Hundred Days culminated with the signing of the Armistice on November 11, 1918.

It is here at La Citadelle, the home to Canada’s famous Van Doos, that we will honour the regiment’s Lt. Jean Brillant who was awarded a Victoria Cross for his valour at Amiens on August 8-9, 1918. He was among Canada’s first Victoria Cross recipients during Canada’s Hundred Days.

The ceremony will include a traditional offering from the Huron-Wendat Nation, a reading from Victoria Cross recipient Jean Brillant’s diary, and a moment of silence followed by the firing of six artillery rounds to honour the 66,000 Canadians and Newfoundlanders who lost their lives during the First World War.

Join the conversation on social media using the hashtags #CanadaRemembers and #Canadas100days, or visit veterans.gc.ca/100days.

Local residents and event-goers: please note, six artillery rounds will be fired at 15 second intervals at 7:30 p.m.

1, côte de la Citadelle
                        Quebec City, Quebec

Date:              Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Time:              6:30 p.m. – 8:15 p.m. EDT

I was aware of the first two events, but the one in Quebec City comes as a surprise. One wonders what is happening at the National War Memorial in Ottawa? I am willing to wait to be surprised.

Article in Macleans today:

https://www.macleans.ca/history/on-this-day-100-years-ago-canadian-troops-led-the-first-world-wars-final-charge/

At Canadian History Channel 9 and 10 PM ET November 11:

100 Days To Victory

Through cinematic recreations, interviews with top historians and state-of-the-art CGI, 100 Days to Victory is a gripping account of the last 100 Days of the First World War, telling the story of how the Allied generals worked together in new ways to win the war.  Four of history’s most visionary leaders, General Arthur Currie (Canada), Marshall Ferdinand Foch (France), Field Marshal Douglas Haig (Britain) and General John Monash (Australia) came together to defeat the enemy with unprecedented teamwork and innovation. Exciting and dramatic, this docudrama from Electric Pictures and Bristow Global Media Inc. brings the men and women behind WWI’s finest multinational feat of arms vividly to life.
https://www.history.ca/100-days-to-victory/

Whole series streaming here:
https://www.history.ca/video.html?v=1355920451751&p=1&s=da#video

Mark
Ottawa

Spencer100 said:
I set the DVR.

I watched it and it wasn't bad. Some good CGI and maps showing the Allied advance; lots of film from the WW1 archives. They also explained different tactics used (e.g. rolling barrages, etc).

Not a big budget production as they used the same locations over and over again. On the other hand authentic looking uniforms and weapons. And some realistic looking explosions (no fireballs!).

One thing that did catch my eye was some of re-enactors were willing kilts. I thought the Commonwealth units had quit wearing kilts in the field years earlier.

Episode 1 is being shown again in 30 minutes if anyone is interested.

Retired AF Guy said:
One thing that did catch my eye was some of re-enactors were willing kilts. I thought the Commonwealth units had quit wearing kilts in the field years earlier.

Amiens - August 1918

By: Lieutenant W.G. Wurtele, M.C. (Reproduced from Pro Patria Issue No. 33, August 1977)

At the same time we established liaison with the 42nd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada) on my left and this is where I first met Major C.B. Topp who was in charge of their forward troops. He was examining one of his kilted men in terrible agony. It was the result of a smoke shell falling at his feet, and the intense heat cooking the inside of his legs and crotch. His scrotum, penis and testicles were small cinders and he was not reacting to the limited amount of morphine carried by their stretcher bearers. I sent over some of our own morphine but Topp never knew whether or not he survived. I would say he did not.
http://regimentalrogue.com/rcr_great_war/rcr_great_war_1918_amiens_wurtele.html

END QUOTE

With thanks, again, to The Regimental Rogue.

mariomike said:

Amiens - August 1918

By: Lieutenant W.G. Wurtele, M.C. (Reproduced from Pro Patria Issue No. 33, August 1977)

At the same time we established liaison with the 42nd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada) on my left and this is where I first met Major C.B. Topp who was in charge of their forward troops. He was examining one of his kilted men in terrible agony. It was the result of a smoke shell falling at his feet, and the intense heat cooking the inside of his legs and crotch. His scrotum, penis and testicles were small cinders and he was not reacting to the limited amount of morphine carried by their stretcher bearers. I sent over some of our own morphine but Topp never knew whether or not he survived. I would say he did not.
http://regimentalrogue.com/rcr_great_war/rcr_great_war_1918_amiens_wurtele.html

END QUOTE

With thanks, again, to The Regimental Rogue.

I stand corrected.

I watched the two episodes yesterday evening and this afternoon. While the producers took some liberties with the facts, they did tell the story well. After all, they are not bound by a requirement to be completely accurate.

I thought the closing segment of the second episode was particularly strong - the Germans took the example of Amiens to heart, while the British and French prepared to fight a static war - perhaps even in the trenches - again. To coin an unoriginal phrase: blitzkrieg versus sitskrieg.

Back