• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

American Beer vs Canadian Beer

recceguy said:
You should be an expert in wheat beers, at least.  [:p

Before I tell you to ram it, I'll have you know that I've enjoyed a few of those infernal fucking things in recent years.

Now ram it. ;D

Scott said:
I'm kind of interested in Keith's announcement that they've opened up the old brewery with the intent of producing some old recipe stuff. It will definitely be worth a try, no matter how much the hipsters turn their noses up at it. Because a lot of these older brewhouses have ancient recipes in their vaults that they no longer use due to automation, sourcing of supplies, etc. This will be a throwback, of sorts. I don't expect completely "craft" beer, but it's a nice step.

Moreover, at least here in the Maritimes, it's been proven that craft can take off. Enough that a major is getting into the business of craft brewing.

I still drink Old Style Pilsner every now and then, or an Alpine, with no regrets or apologies. But more and more I like stuff with an actual expiry date on it and where I can see the hops growing from the parking lot.

As someone helping to organize a festival, I like talking beer and that means talking about what the big boys are doing as well. If Keith's continues its current marketing scheme for the new grog I'll remain happy. If they try to follow Shock Top's act I might not be so much.

Cheers

I'm a self professed beer snob.  I haven't been to the beer store in years and usually go to the LCBO and by twelve different individual cans of some foreign or local microbrew.  Lately I've been on a German beer craze.

Oh I am a snob, too. I get upset when anyone drinks my golden Pilsner and doesn't know how to properly quote Dean Murdoch from FUBAR! :nod:

I loved my trip to Ontario last year purely for the beer choices. I'm majorly jealous of what you guys have compared to us.

I'd say that, right now, I drink craft about 90% of the time.

Scott said:
Oh I am a snob, too. I get upset when anyone drinks my golden Pilsner and doesn't know how to properly quote Dean Murdoch from FUBAR! :nod:

I loved my trip to Ontario last year purely for the beer choices. I'm majorly jealous of what you guys have compared to us.

I was pretty happy when pilsner finally came to Ontario. It was only fews years back. I loved watching fubar growing up as a teenager.

I grew up 30 miles west of the brewery,  cut my teeth on Lethbridge Pilsner.

Drank a few in the Mess in Lethbridge playing Liars Dice.

Here in highest liquor prices in the world BC, Konig Pilsener from Germany costs less per milliliter than Lethbridge Pilsner.

Colin P said:
So Guinness is offering a "Blonde" to the Americans, who still as a nation have not learned to drink real beer.  [:'(

It's not what one would think. I keep asking for my blonde when I go to the store, and they keep handing me a six pack.  ;D

Scott said:

Quebec has an ever growing craft beer scene as well and quite frankly, some of the beer coming out of "La Belle Province" is pretty damn good IMO. more so than some Ontario craft offerings.  I come back to Canada 2 or 3 times a year and my suitcases are always packed with craft beer for the trip back.  The joys of having extra baggage allotments via Air Canada for military types sure comes in handy for me!  :nod:

just me... said:
Quebec has an ever growing craft beer scene as well and quite frankly, some of the beer coming out of "La Belle Province" is pretty damn good IMO. more so than some Ontario craft offerings.  I come back to Canada 2 or 3 times a year and my suitcases are always packed with craft beer for the trip back.  The joys of having extra baggage allotments via Air Canada for military types sure comes in handy for me!  :nod:

Agreed.

In Halifax there is Bar Stillwell, which is almost always bringing in selections from a few Quebec breweries.

I now never travel without growlers. Been thinking of getting a couple of the stainless ones which would be more durable than glass. There's always someone willing to forgive me a Nova Scotia craft growler and exchange it for one of theirs. Add a few bucks and you get it full of BEER!

Colin P said:
As I recall, back in the glory days (70-80's) Canadian beer was 1% more than US beer and then there was Brasdor beer at around 6.5%

That's a common, but untrue, belief.  If you are relying on what it said on the can, a beer that is 5.0% by volume is about 4% by weight.  Americans used weight, Canadians used volume.  Canadians really like to believe that Americans can't handle their liquor.  Apparently Americans have recently switched to labeling their alcohol content by volume.

Back