• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ambulance Replacement (Mega thread)

I have to ask a question.....what is the black post on the front of the Bison with the black ball on top......trying not to sound like a dumba**..... ;D

No.

What do you want to call it?  A Cherry?  A Gumball Machine?  Snow Plow?  Whatever?  It is the Light (Flasher - Red or Blue) for the Amb.

Well......actually....now that I got the photo to enlarge a little more.......I am wrong......It is too big for a GPS antenna, but looks like it is some sort of Sat Uplink.  Your guess is as good as mine......sorry.

I thought it was the GPS antenna at first too, but that is on the crew commander's side if I recall correctly and is pretty short.  Of course, it might be an add on satellite comms unit like George said or maybe a strobe for IFF.

MM

Just for Fun, Here's a few from my photo collection,

The F60 CWT CMP, my occasional avatar, The old M886 Dodge Power Wagons, and a 5/4.

The CUCV 5/4 brings back memories....worked in one when I was a Med A in the PRes in the late 80's early 90's...

The ones we had we a little newer that the one in the photo....it had rectangular headlights....thinking mid-80s vintage...

I remeber the first ex we took our CUCV's out - it was the last we had the clip on crosses and american camo on.  The top cross blew off the vehicle as we were driving up Douglas St in Victoria, skipped off the road, nearly decapitated a motorcyclist and buried a corner into someone's windshield.  We got the flip flops put on the next week...

MM

Two different beasts.  The 5/4 were a 1975-76 chevrolet with a gas V8. The boxes from the 5/4 were
all overhauled and remounted. You now know them as the box on the LSVW.

The CUCV M1010 Ambs replaced the dodge power wagons, and were 1986-87 1 ton Chevrolets
and had a much longer and better patient compartment (box) on them. Longer, more upper storage
cabinets, room for a large oxygen tank, a small but nasty attendants seat, better interior lighting,
rear patient air conditioner, pullman hatch between the front cab and the box and front bucket seats.
Much nicer riding than the 5/4 or the LS.

one of my favorite features = bucket seats!

DSB

medicineman said:
I remeber the first ex we took our CUCV's out - it was the last we had the clip on crosses and american camo on.  The top cross blew off the vehicle as we were driving up Douglas St in Victoria, skipped off the road, nearly decapitated a motorcyclist and buried a corner into someone's windshield.  We got the flip flops put on the next week...

MM

HAHAHA.  What a make work project!

There's a fantastic poetic nature to being killed by a Red Cross. 

Though I imagine the Red Crescent would be more dangerous.

Update on the new Crash Amb, it can really book it on gravel roads, 110 no problem.  The comm system is also beatifully arranged.  Only problem is that is is difficult for the driver to change frequencies while on the move because the buttons are behind you.  You can press them, but when zipping down gravel at high speeds you kind of want to watch ahead of you.  On the plus side, there are 2 hand mikes, one that works the PA and internal comms, and another that links you to the outside world.  With a few buttons presses you can move between whatever freq you need, Range Control, fire, MIR, whatever.  So that was nice.

And the PA system is just hilarious

"Attention Cattle, you are impeding the progress of Her Majesty's Ambulance"

Lets see if we can get this focused into some sort of usuable topic.

The Ambulance boxes on the LSVW are now 31 years old, and were outdated
when the 5/4s were disposed of.

What features would you want to see on it's replacement?

old medic said:
The Ambulance boxes on the LSVW are now 31 years old, and were outdated
when the 5/4s were disposed of.

Actually, IIRC, they are only just over 29 years old, but they were refurbished before remounting on the LSVWs.  One of the first jobs I was given when I arrived at 1 Fd Amb in 1977 was to help the mechs put the boxes on the 5/4 chassis.  While they were slightly larger than the 3/4s they replaced, we had complaints about them from the get-go.

1. Utilize a chassis that has enough power to do the job.

2. The ability to carry 4 litters has been mentioned on here.

3. A/C front and back

4. 4 wheel drive.

5. Enough ground clearance to be able to venture off the beaten path to evac casualties.

Back