• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

While I wrote a redressing gravance waiting for the result may have the answer soon, you could do the same thing

CFMP1970 said:
I was in for only a few years and each OR I went to re-engaged my PLD paperwork (as each respective OR did not have the info).  They ALL stated that I was entitled to PLD since day one of BMQ.  Everybody began the paperwork but nobody finished it.

My recent base began my PLD paperwork, yet again, and stated that I was eligible.

During my final appointment with release (last day), I was told I was NOT eligible for that very reason-that the DND did not move my D F&E. 

It just doesn't make sense.  If the policy came into effect in 2012, then those who were enrolled and entitled PRIOR to it coming into effect should still be eligible for the duration of when the above policy was not in effect.

Here is my case.

-Lived in GTA, enrolled, attened BMQ in St. Jean
-Maintained primary residence in GTA (on IR)
-QL3 in Borden, still maintained primary residence in GTA (on IR)
-Posted to Trenton, still maintained primary residence in GTA (on IR)

If me not being eligible to receive PLD is not correct, could somebody please shed some light?

Thank you for reading.

Were your HG&E in the GTA when you enrolled? Did you enrol from Toronto? In which PLD zone did they reside?

hathway said:
While I wrote a redressing gravance waiting for the result may have the answer soon, you could do the same thing

My condolances.

hathway said:

I'd be interested to hear the outcome as well!  The last time I questioned this exact scenario (ie; entitlement to PLD at the time of enrolment), this is what came back:

a.  if the residence occupied by the members dependants isn't as a result of an approved and funded CF relocation, then the CF isn't responsible for the application and or payment of PLD

It would seem to fly in the face of CBI 205.45(1), "Principal Residence" (iii) but when you look at the definition of "Place of Duty" as defined in CBI 208.80, I can see where the interpretation is coming from.

But that is why we have the ability to "grieve" matters such as this.  Good luck and keep us posted!!!

CFMP1970 said:
Here is my case.

-Lived in GTA, enrolled, attened BMQ in St. Jean
-Maintained primary residence in GTA (on IR)
-QL3 in Borden, still maintained primary residence in GTA (on IR)
-Posted to Trenton, still maintained primary residence in GTA (on IR)

If me not being eligible to receive PLD is not correct, could somebody please shed some light?

Well, I'll post you my scenario and then the answer I got with reasoning. Not saying my case is the same as yours, but maybe it'll help

-Attach-posted to Rocky Mountain Rangers (Kamloops)
-Living in Penticton to carry out my Occupational Therapy and be closer to more specialized care (distance 240km)
-Administered out of Kelowna with the BCDs (Distance 66km from Pen)
-Kamloops and Kelowna both received $360/mo for PLD
-Initially received Kamloops PLD
-PLD retracted and repaid citing that I was further than the 60km limit of my location of posting (Pen to Kamloops was 240km)
-Sought out ways to fix this as Pen was just as pricey as Kamloops and Kelowna to live in
-Entertained be attach-posted to BCDs (since I learned that I did not need to be attach-posted to a unit of similar trade)
-Informed that I would still not receive PLD as I was 6km outside the bubble (Pen to Kelowna was 66km)
-Investigated other avenues and it came down to the fact I -chose- to live in Pen, even though it was on my posting message
-Argument shutdown and I sucked it up for 3yrs

Ergo, what I am seeing:
-You were posted around ON and -chose- to keep your residence in GTA (for whatever reason - family, paid mortgage, really cool home, etc)
-You are eligible for the PLD in the specific city you are posted
-You chose to live outside of the 60km bubble from your city of posting
::Thus not entitled to PLD

This is what I got from many discussions with my CoC

One of the rules WRT to PLD is you have to reside inside the PLDA IIRC.  I knew a guy who was posted to Folly Mountain and lived in Truro NS.  When FM closed he was posted to Halifax but didn't want to sell the house, etc as he was 2 years from retirement.  He requested auth to live outside Halifax geo boundary and was granted but had to sign stating he knew this would disqual him from PLD. 

Eye In The Sky said:
One of the rules WRT to PLD is you have to reside inside the PLDA IIRC.  I knew a guy who was posted to Folly Mountain and lived in Truro NS.  When FM closed he was posted to Halifax but didn't want to sell the house, etc as he was 2 years from retirement.  He requested auth to live outside Halifax geo boundary and was granted but had to sign stating he knew this would disqual him from PLD.

Was he aware that he may have been entitled to SCA (Special Commuting Allowance)?  I hope so......

Well those grievances for PLD are working really well...........DCBA 3-3 001/13

"DGCB has been notified of potential misinterpretation of policies at blah blah blah (CBI 205.45 (PLD)......."

and the bad news at para 3.....

"Action is being taken by DGCB to identify PLD/TPLD overpayments to serving and former CAF personnel where no authority exists, back to 1 Apr 07".........

Start saving your pennies.....

DAA said:
Well those grievances for PLD are working really well...........DCBA 3-3 001/13

"DGCB has been notified of potential misinterpretation of policies at blah blah blah (CBI 205.45 (PLD)......."

and the bad news at para 3.....

"Action is being taken by DGCB to identify PLD/TPLD overpayments to serving and former CAF personnel where no authority exists, back to 1 Apr 07".........

Start saving your pennies.....

Now, speaking as a long-time Union steward, I see this as a good thing,................the first thing the Govt. does when it thinks it's about to take one full frontal is to distract you with some " OH YEA??"s.

It's funny.  Years ago people complained that it took too long to implement changes to regulations, CFAO's, because CFAO's were guided by QR&O's and to make any dramatic change to the CFAO usually required a change to the QR&O which in turn required Royal Assent.  So they decided to create CBI's and deal with the Treasury Board instead, out of simplicity and to provide a more "timely" change to entitlements which would benefit the CF.

Now look at where we are and what is happening around us....

I have a question re: PLD in Halifax.

How long does it take for the approval for PLD to be processed and go through? Can it be applied for from where I currently reside?

You may find answers here.

The PLD Merged Thread- Read Here First 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34108.0.html

pickles41 said:
I have a question re: PLD in Halifax.

How long does it take for the approval for PLD to be processed and go through? Can it be applied for from where I currently reside?

Fill out the form at your local Orderly Room in Halifax and they input the information into CCPS.  You generally should start receiving it within 30 days.

You cannot fill the forms out in advance.  They will be part of your "inclearance" process when you arrive.

Given that the OP asked about application from where they currently reside, I'm guessing they might not be in Halifax yet.  :dunno:

Just remember it is taxable; it is not part your pay (meaning an income letter to get a mortgage will not include this amount); and Hfx is knowingly artificially high and will be cut in half (my guess) when the MND leaves this portfolio.

From the media ....
Junior members of the military at the air base in Cold Lake, Alta., have to take second jobs to make ends meet, says a new report from the military ombudsman.

Pierre Daigle investigated the sky-high cost of living in the resource-rich region of Alberta after complaints from people posted to 4 Wing, a major jet-fighter base.

“I was surprised,” Daigle said in an interview Tuesday.

Some families are struggling to pay bills by selling off possessions, and go to great lengths to keep their children in extracurricular activities.

The mostly non-commissioned members aren’t trying to get ahead — they need the extra income to survive, said Daigle.

“They are just trying to keep what they have, and what they have built up over their lifetimes,” he said.

The cost of living at Cold Lake has soared in recent years, driven by growth in the local oil-and-gas industry, the report found.

As many as a third of the members of one squadron have had to take second jobs. The investigation also found that some air force members choose to retire rather than accept a posting at the base.

The finding should alarm military brass because it affects operational effectiveness and getting the right people in the jobs, Daigle said ....

.... and recommendations from the CF Ombudsman's latest report:
In order to help address the issues identified in this report, the following nine recommendations are made:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Immediately re-establish a TBS-led PLD for Cold Lake which reflects the Cold Lake economic environment.
[*]Establish Cold Lake as a priority in the national RHU accommodation strategy.
[*]Establish an effective recapitalization program for Cold Lake RHUs.
[*]Give the chain of command a greater role in decision making regarding priorities, rent levels, housing standards and reinvestment.
[*]Review the creation of a rent increase ceiling tied to improvement of individual RHUs.
[*]Synchronize RHU rental adjustments with PLD adjustments.
[*]Increase transparency regarding PLD calculation methodologies and communicate them in plain language.
[*]Review and clarify benefits for medical care associated with semi-isolated and isolated locations.
[*]Establish a policy framework that enables the use of public resources to improve support to Canadian Forces members and families posted to semi-isolated and isolated units.[/list]

IMO, if you cut PMQ rent in half you solve most of these issues with Cost of Living and horrid attrition of young personnel coming in. If you want to take the risk of buying property in town that is your own financial choice, but why punish those who chose to live in Q's? I believe this has to be solved within the next few years or else the operational capability of the Wing will be limited drastically, the affects are already starting to hit the gun squadrons...

PMQ rent is ridiculous everywhere. CFHA Kingston is charging $1200 for a 3 bdrm with no basement now. No way a small family can save up for a house when they're slaved to those rent rates, and theres nothing but increases here because the houses immediately beside the base are $500,000+ due to proximity to the water.

Stacked said:
My PMQ rent in Esquimalt is reasonable. $835 for a 3 bedroom town house near the water.  However other PMQ's in my area (the single house/duplex) are around 1250-1300.

The difference being, you can rent a 3 bedroom in Kingston off base for the same rate as the PMQ. In Esquimalt the PMQ is 1250-1300 for a single house where you will be paying up and over $2000 for a house in Esquimalt. Some of the PMQ's aren't really saving troops that much money.

Kingston has the raw end of the deal on the PMQ in my opinion. Haven't looked up the Alta PMQ's

Back