• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

George Wallace said:
You by any chance trying to get posted to Ottawa?  (Where the PLA is the lowest in the CF.)
Good God No!  I'm headed the other way this summer.

Thanks to MJP

I see you gave the locations for PLD I was wondering if I can get the rates if at all possible?? or if anyone esle have they that would be great to,

This issue needs to be look at more often they what it currently is I think home prices go up and down or sky rocket in AB right now, after tour 01-06 I sold my condo to a freind and if he was to sell today this 1977 2 bedroom 900 sq  place?? he would make 85K more them what I sold it to him for plus the new place I bought also when up 60K in 6 months WOW AND F^%$ SWEET LOL

I am not worried I am just wondering about personal posted in to Edmonton or the young pte's posted in sooner then later.

THANKS ALL

molson949

molson949 said:
I am not worried I am just wondering about personal posted in to Edmonton or the young pte's posted in sooner then later.

Its not just Edmonton........New people are effectively being priced out of the market in Vancouver, Vancouver island and a few other bases.

Latest info I just received is that PLD was under a complete review (reasoning, eligibility, methodology amongst a few) at DCBA in negotiation with TB.

It also mentions that it is not ready to be submitted for approval and that at the moment the anticipated announcement is for 6 months from now, but could take even longer depending on the details and TB approval process.

Currently Edmonton receives no PLD.  I have heard on the news that some families from the East don't want to be posted to Edmonton because of the cost of housing.  We currently live in Griesbach (new part so we are lucky enough to own our house) and there are no vacancies on the rental side.  The waiting time at Lancaster Park has been up to 3 years.  The average house price in Edmonton is $413,000.00 and the rental market is terribly low (not sure of percentage).  I hope that this is revamped for those coming to the Edmonton area.  The so called "Alberta Advantage" is quickly running out of steam being as the cost of living here is now becoming astronomical. 

PO2FinClk said:
Latest info I just received is that PLD was under a complete review (reasoning, eligibility, methodology amongst a few) at DCBA in negotiation with TB.

It also mentions that it is not ready to be submitted for approval and that at the moment the anticipated announcement is for 6 months from now, but could take even longer depending on the details and TB approval process.

We just had the same briefing info given to us by the DAPP gods during the ILQ.

I have also just been informed that CMP & CFCWO are conducting Townhall's where they are passing this same info.

PO2FinClk said:
I have also just been informed that CMP & CFCWO are conducting Townhall's where they are passing this same info.

Town Halls?  Has it occurred to them that maybe a CANFORGEN might reach out and touch the masses a little more efficiently?

Sheesh...no wonder there's no money left, with the brass jetsetting around telling us there's no money.  Town Halls are meant for topics where the opinion of the unwashed masses may actually have a bearing on the decisions made by those at the top.

Sorry, the flak isn't directed at you, PO2FinClk - but for an organization that should have the best communication going, somewhere there's someone who thinks information is power, and has decided to hold it all.

I don't know what actions are being taken in Ottawa to address the PLD issue, but what I do know is precisely how simple it is to draft a message.

To illustrate, here's the text of CANFORGEN 120/06 (DTG 201452Z JUL 06) as it applied to me (and the vast majority of us):

GSO/Pilot/NCM - LCol and Below.  Pay increases are based on total compensation comparability with benchmarked occupation in the Public Service (PS).  The CF and the Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS) officials are actively working on this issue and good progress is being made.  It is not possible at this time to announce the GSO/Pilot/NCM pay adjustment and it will likely not be possible to do so before fall 06....An update will be provided end-Sep 06.

So, in that case, they waited 3.5 months after the expected pay increase to basically tell us "Wait - Out".  But at least they said an update was forthcoming.

We're now 19 months since the last official communication on the PLD front.  I think someone can probably do a little better than "Wait - Out".

If the CFCWO, CLS, CMP, etc. are travelling out and about in the course of all of their duties, that's one thing.  I sure hope they're not merely doing it expressly for the purposes of PLD town halls.  "Stay in my lane", my butt.

284_226 said:
I sure hope they're not merely doing it expressly for the purposes of PLD town halls.
That is precisely correct as they provided this information during question periods at the conclusion of the townhall's.

I personally agree with you that a CANFORGEN stating precisely what they are passing along would assist in alleviating the myriad of rumours circulating around. As I was reading the post prior to yours just above, I thought of the same message you quoted where they provide sort of a "SITREP" on the issue as it affects the masses tremendously. I however do not agree with you that an individual is holding this information "hostage" so to speak. I would rather say that it has not been thought of or perhaps there are too many variables at the moment to issue any official direction with certainty.

Hopefully as the conduct more of these townhall's they will see the undeniable requirement to officially apprise the whole via message.

PO2FinClk said:
I however do not agree with you that an individual is holding this information "hostage" so to speak. I would rather say that it has not been thought of or perhaps there are too many variables at the moment to issue any official direction with certainty.

That sentiment may be a little strong for what I'd intended to convey.  It just seems that all too often the information flow in the CF works very well upwards, but is meager or nonexistant downwards.

Suffice it to say that even a brief, contrite Canforgen stating "We're aware conditions in some areas like Edmonton (for example) have changed considerably since the last PLD adjustment, and we're working on it with TBS.  Update to follow in one month." would be better than silence.  Not everyone has the benefit of attending these town halls, and - playing the Devil's Advocate - when everyone is told "Don't believe it until it's on paper", who is to say that these snippets of information being reported here and there aren't rumours themselves?

284_226 said:
who is to say that these snippets of information being reported here and there aren't rumours themselves?

I understand your point, but consider the sources, CMP, DAPPP, D Mil C and the CF CWO. If anyone were to not be spreading rumours I believe credence should granted to these.

PO2FinClk said:
I understand your point, but consider the sources, CMP, DAPPP, D Mil C and the CF CWO. If anyone were to not be spreading rumours I believe credence should granted to these.

No, I don't think you do understand my point.

When a subordinate asks me - someone who does a pretty good job of staying current on issues - if I've heard anything on the subject of PLD, I can't really be telling him "Well, I heard from this guy on Army.ca who says he got briefed by CMP...", when at the same time I'm telling him not to participate in rumour-mongering and to only believe something when it comes down on paper.  I don't have any reason to believe that you'd be anything less than truthful, but it's still not something official that I can pass on to a subordinate. 

I can ask the question "Has anyone heard anything on the subject of PLD?" here because a) I'll take any answer with a grain of salt and b) I'll not repeat the information to anyone else as being "authoritative".

A CANFORGEN would negate the need for all these town halls, and end the "Well, I haven't heard anything here at Shearwater, but this guy I know at Petawawa told me he got briefed..." second-hand accounts.

I_am_John_Galt said:
Only if you steal it: nothing is cheaper in Vancouver.

BC=BRING CASH!! ;D

To the guy in Gander....let's get real. the cost of a house in Gander is peanuts compared to other locales. If you were posted to Victoria you'd be lucky to find a doghouse for under 300 large...gas was 1.26 a litre in Victoria last week if the news can be believed.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
BC=BRING CASH!! ;D

To the guy in Gander....let's get real. the cost of a house in Gander is peanuts compared to other locales. If you were posted to Victoria you'd be lucky to find a doghouse for under 300 large...gas was 1.26 a litre in Victoria last week if the news can be believed.

A buck-thirty in Vancouver today ...

The BCferries fuel surcharge is going to go through the roof to go with that..... ::)

As bad as I think things have gotten in Nova Scotia lately, I know the folks in Alberta are getting hit even harder.  It's a darn good thing we don't have any personnel (that I'm aware of, anyways) in Fort McMurray.  My next door neighbour just moved from there.

Check this out - http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyID=5680128.

I can't imagine Edmonton or Cold Lake are very far behind...

wait for it,

Cost me $120 buck to fill my MINI VAN in victoria this morning, and unless you make spec don't plan on buying a house in greater victoria, average single family house price is just shy of $600 Grand

Back