• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

EpicBeardedMan said:
Update: She sent me an email stating that she spoke to the tenant's board and was advised that she has no claim to my deposit, so she's mailing it to me at the address i provided.

;D

Tell her you want the interest.  >:D

Strike said:

Hey, don't laugh.  At my new apartment, I paid last month's rent.  If they get more than $50 interest on it, they pay it to me and give me an income tax receipt.

Strike said:

Keep after her for it. You don't want to move away and have to sort this out long distance.

Good that the money issue seems to be worked out.

Now about the PO (grrrrr) in the OR.  Please do not drop that issue.  There is no way a RMS PO should be discussing a members pay with someone like that and they need to be straightened out on that one.  The only answer the PO should have given was "sorry Ma'am but I am not allowed to discuss his pay with you, you will have to talk to him. Have a nice day" click.  Been there, done it.

Pusser said:
PLD is not strictly about housing costs.  All factors related to the cost of living are taken into consideration, including:

1) housing costs (including rental rates)
2) all taxes (property and income)
3) food - based on a "basket" of staple goods
4) fuel and utility charges

And the list goes on to even include how hilly the terrain is (hilly terrain uses more gas when driving compared to flat areas).  In short, the determination of PLD rates is fairly complex, so it is impossible to only look at isolated factors and make a valid comparison.

Are you sure that Suffield gets Isolation Allowance?  It's not listed in the Isolated Post Instructions (http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/cbi/pdf/CBI_11_Sec_2.pdf).

People need to heed the above; and also remember that many other factors are also considered. The biggest problem with PLD right now is that the rates haven't been updated since 2009. It's supposed to be done annually.

teenwolf said:
People need to heed the above; and also remember that many other factors are also considered. The biggest problem with PLD right now is that the rates haven't been updated since 2009. It's supposed to be done annually.

Where did you get this information?  Keep in mind that they are reviewed annually.  "Review" does not mean raised, lowered or changed at all.  Rates can be reviewed and left as is.

It's also important to remember that just because the cost of living goes up or down in a given location does not mean an automatic increase or decrease in PLD.  What matters is the increase/decrease of a given area compared to the baseline.  If the cost of living goes up across the country, PLD essentially stays the same.  General increases in cost of living are covered by general pay increases, not PLD.  Furthermore if the cost of living in one location goes up, but at a lower rate than the baseline, then the PLD at that location will actually go down.  Conversely, if the cost of living at a given location decreases at lower rate than the baseline, then PLD will go up at that location.

PLD is easy if your are posted to the baseline............. :nod:

CDN Aviator said:
PLD is easy if your are posted the baseline............. :nod:

I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say there.

I think he is inferring to the lack of PLD in Ottawa as all PLD is based on the associative cost of living in the NCR.

Pusser said:
Where did you get this information?  Keep in mind that they are reviewed annually.  "Review" does not mean raised, lowered or changed at all.  Rates can be reviewed and left as is.

It's also important to remember that just because the cost of living goes up or down in a given location does not mean an automatic increase or decrease in PLD.  What matters is the increase/decrease of a given area compared to the baseline.  If the cost of living goes up across the country, PLD essentially stays the same.  General increases in cost of living are covered by general pay increases, not PLD.  Furthermore if the cost of living in one location goes up, but at a lower rate than the baseline, then the PLD at that location will actually go down.  Conversely, if the cost of living at a given location decreases at lower rate than the baseline, then PLD will go up at that location.

After the updated PLD methodology there was a msg released in 2008 (CANFORGEN 061/08 - CMP - 311241Z MAR 08) that specified PLD rates. In 2009, another msg (CANFORGEN 090/09 - CMP - 141802Z MAY 09) was released that specified PLD rates (Note: the rates didn't change from 2008, but the 2009 rates were still specified). In 2010, another msg (CANFORGEN 084/10 CMP 039/10 081701Z APR 10) was released that didn't specify rates and stated that PLD rates will remain at their 2009/2010 level until further notice. There was no PLD message released for 2011. The latest msg does state that PLD is under continuous review; however, I interpret the "until further notice" comment and the lack of a 2011 msg to mean that PLD rates are frozen. Otherwise, why would they deviate from the 2008 and 2009 msg format and state in 2010 that rates will remain the same until further notice? Why not release a msg for 2011? Keeping with the 2008 and 2009 course of action, there should have been a 2010 and 2011 msg specifying rates, regardless if they changed or not. One logical answer here is that the program is, once again, under review and there's no intent to change rates until the program review is completed.

In regard to general increases in cost of living are covered by general pay increases, we have yet to receive one for 2011/2012.

why release a message listing what has already been stated in a prior message when you can just say the rates will stay the same?

Why release a message in 2011 when you stated in 2010 those rates will remain in effect until further notice?

or one logical answer is that over all they have found the cost of living has increased almost by the same amount everywhere with such a small difference to make it not worth the hasssle to update and release new rates.

pay increase - I do not think that what was said meant we would get them every year simply that they are what is meant to help off set the overall cost of living increae not PLD which is area specific compared to the NCR. I also do not expect to see one until next year after more unions hopefully reach agreements.

....or maybe there's just a new guy in charge of the office that doesn't feel he has to push out useless messages just so someone else knows he's in the office doing his job ;)

CountDC said:
why release a message listing what has already been stated in a prior message when you can just say the rates will stay the same?

They did it prior to 2010.

CountDC said:
Why release a message in 2011 when you stated in 2010 those rates will remain in effect until further notice?

Looks like you missed the point and your circular reasoning adds nothing.

CountDC said:
or one logical answer is that over all they have found the cost of living has increased almost by the same amount everywhere with such a small difference to make it not worth the hasssle to update and release new rates.

Releasing msgs is what we do in the military. And annual PLD msgs were the normal course of action prior to the freeze.

teenwolf,

In 2010 the message stated what the rates were, until further notice.

There has been no new message, thus no further notice.

Don't like it ? Too f****g bad.

They did it prior to 2010

We used to do allot of things we don't do anymore...........

Move along.

CDN Aviator said:
teenwolf,

In 2010 the message stated what the rates were, until further notice.

There has been no new message, thus no further notice.

Don't like it ? Too f****g bad.

We used to do allot of things we don't do anymore...........

Move along.

Wow! That's all I can say.

My whole point was that PLD is UFN, which I interpret to mean freeze. I cited my reasons in post #29. You can take them for what they are or move along.

What I noticed on my mid-Jan PS is that PLD (for me) is taxed at 42%.  Not to say I am complaining, I know mbrs in places aren't getting ANY at all. 

Just noting the rate it is actually taxed at.

I've noticed the same thing. Mine was taxed at 39% prior to Jan. The latest statement has it taxed at 44%. 

It's taxed at whatever your tax rate is.  Folks who make more money will see more taken off in tax - just like your salary.  If they take off too much, you'll get it back on your tax return.  If they don't take off enough...

I think the important think to note is that it is 42%

Therefore, IMO....PLD is much more attractive sounding than it is anything.  Sure, looks like a great thing...only they are actually getting almost half of it back.

"We have posted you to an area with a high cost of living.  Here is XX dollars to help offset the cost to you imposed by the CF.  Whoops!  I need half of that back!"  :blotto:

^-^

Back