• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Vegetarian/Vegan (merged)

Britney Spears said:
Back to my original point, The nature of these CAFOs is the same as that of large cities, when enormous amounts of waste is concentrated in such a small area, it is impossible for the ecosystem to absorb. I highly doubt that most of these CAFOs can produce meat more economically than small farms if they were forced to cover the environmental costs as well.

<a href=http://www.earthsave.org/lifestyle/factfarm.htm>Source</a>

Why do you think that Factory Farms (oh my!) Feedlots and Slaughter Houses are exempted from to dealing with their environmental costs?  The fact that these places have a lot of waste to deal with does not necessarily mean it is not dealt with.  You could take the situation in Alberta for example, where nearly 5 million head of cattle in the province are sent to three major slaughterhouses in and around Brooks.  There are cities that draw their drinking water from downstream, and thus far there have been neither acute water shortages nor e-coli plagues.
The fact that they are efficient is apparent in the price of meat, which is cheap enough for most people to afford ie: not a luxury.  As far as environmental costs, these are also apparently borne, since water downstream from these operations remains drinkable with affordable treatment.
No one said that these operations were pretty; only that they were economical.

All these health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.  ;D

recceguy said:
All these health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.  ;D
if they were really health nuts, they'd eat according to the Canada Food Guide. After all, those people's only vested interest is in getting Canada's citizens to eat healthy in order to reduce the over-tasked Health System.

But that would be crazy. After all, how would a couple hundred people who have dedicated their lives to studying nutrition know anything about how to eat healthy?

Hello, I would like to ask one question. I'm 15 as of right now and I am planing to be basic infantry. I am also vegetarian which means I will not eat meat, seafood, poultry, also anything that has meat or animal extracts ( Gelatin). I am not a vegan so I have no problem with eating honey, milk, eggs etc. How would I go about eating on the field. I know there is some sort of packets or packages that you get, but is there vegetarian ones and if so am I allowed to trade? Thanks for the help. !!!!
:salute:

There are vegetarian field meals in the system, and military dining halls have enough variety to serve your preferences.  You would not be the first vegetarian in the CF.

T3hHippie said:
Hello, I would like to ask one question. I'm 15 as of right now and I am planing to be basic infantry. I am also vegetarian which means I will not eat meat, seafood, poultry, also anything that has meat or animal extracts ( Gelatin). I am not a vegan so I have no problem with eating honey, milk, eggs etc. How would I go about eating on the field. I know there is some sort of packets or packages that you get, but is there vegetarian ones and if so am I allowed to trade? Thanks for the help. !!!!
:salute:
hitlerdrugfree.jpg

Techno:

He did however occasionnally indulge in ham. Vegans will no doubt say it's that meat that drove the world to the brink. Tsk...

This from MERX (also attached if link isn't working):
.... The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement for Vegetarian Kosher Halal Rations as follows : Twelve (12) main course meals per case. Varieties include: Three(3) Florentine lasagna, three(3) vegetarian stew; three(3) cheese tortellini, three(3) pasta and garden vegetables. Must be Kosher and Halal certified.

Items are required to provide vegetarian and religious meals for
Canadian Forces Personnel serving overseas as well as in Canada. All items shall be of the latest possible production, from date of delivery and shall be produced during the year of scheduled delivery.

Estimated quantity: 5000 cases over a period of two years

(....)

In order to be deemed acceptable as a potential source of supply to DND, prospective suppliers must have their product qualified by DND. My Own Meals Inc., Deerfield, Il. 60015 U.S.A. is the only qualified supplier of these vegetarian and religious
meals

(....)

3.    Sole Source Justification:

My Owns Meals Inc is the only supplier capable to met the requirement and they are the sole distributor and manufacturor of this product.

(....)

5.    Estimated value of the proposed Standing Offer. $774,525.00

6.    Name and location of proposed contractor:

My Own Meals Inc
PO Box 334
Deerfield Illinois
60015 USA ....

More on the company here, and its MRE line here.

We've had these for awhile...

We were on winter indoc in Northern Ontario in 2004 (?), and the QM was trying to get rid of the damn things...all we had was the Kosher/Halal meals.  I wouldn't feed them to my worst enemy.

I lived on patrol rats instead...mmm...beef jerky and chocolate bars for the entire time we were up there...great weight loss program!

KabulRat said:
We've had these for awhile...

We were on winter indoc in Northern Ontario in 2004 (?), and the QM was trying to get rid of the damn things...all we had was the Kosher/Halal meals.  I wouldn't feed them to my worst enemy.

I lived on patrol rats instead...mmm...beef jerky and chocolate bars for the entire time we were up there...great weight loss program!
:+1:

Compared to IMP's or MRE's those things taste like play-doh..... ugh....

I guess it's cheaper for DND to just buy the existing stuff then to make something better within our own system.... Oh well...

Hello All

Just wondering if vegetarian food is available at all times in CF operations?

Thanks

nhinha said:
Hello All

Just wondering if vegetarian food is available at all times in CF operations?

Thanks

When dietary requirements are identified to the chain of command, reasonable measures will be made to ensure the correct rations are available. However, not all circumstances can be foreseen and sometimes spacial order items don't get where they are wanted on time, every time. So, no absolute guarantees can be made for such things.

Thank you both, I suspected that whenever possible the accommodation will be made, however I do understand it can be difficult

Thanks again  :)

nhinha said:
Thank you both, I suspected that whenever possible the accommodation will be made, however I do understand it can be difficult

Thanks again  :)
Of course, you could simply graze if the rations aren't available ;D

But, seriously, there are a variety of vegetarian IMPs and other ration choices out there, you must remember that not every dietary preference can be accomodated.  If they were, I'd have pork with every meal (bacon, ham and pork!).  As it is, I have to eat Iron Lung from time to time.....

Technoviking said:
Of course, you could simply graze if the rations aren't available ;D

But, seriously, there are a variety of vegetarian IMPs and other ration choices out there, you must remember that not every dietary preference can be accomodated.  If they were, I'd have pork with every meal (bacon, ham and pork!).  As it is, I have to eat Iron Lung from time to time.....

lol I know, if is a matter of life or death you have to eat whatever is available, in case there is any. I'm sure there is always water so I will be fine lol

Well, not just in cases of life and death. In the CF, eating is actually part of your job. It technically is not optional. I suspect you will find you are going to have veggie options most of the time, and when you do get a meat ration you will likely be able to get away with trading your meat ration for a non-meat/less meat ration with a buddy. However, the chances you will have to eat meat at some point in your career are pretty good.

Can I ask the specific reason why your a vegetarian?

If it's cause you don't like meat, then you should rethink the role nutrition has on your body for recovery and energy in the field.

Meat is a high source of energy and nutrients, we owe our big evolved brains to cooked meat.

Back