• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things LASIK surgery (aircrew/other -- merged)

Thre is a realization that current requirements are perhaps both outdated and overly restrictive, which should result in a change within, oh, ten years or so.

I don't think the issue is necessarily that requirements are outdated.  I understand vision correction surgery is OK for civilian pilots, but I don't know if any studies have been done on the effects of high altitude depressurization.  What I am specifically referring to is fighter aircraft.  Also what about ejecting from a fighter, what would the effect be?  Now I know we fly more than fighter aircraft, BUT we have only one vision standard.  Maybe that should change, but I don't think it will.

That's all part of it being outdated.

Other terms could be used, too.

The requirement is V1, uncorrected, for recruiting purposes. This drops for "experienced " military pilots - which has been interpreted to mean once they get past Clearhood 1 (first lesson) on their Primary Flying Course.

When I started flying, fighter pilots couldn't wear glasses. Contact lenses became popular, but nobody could fly with those for many years either. That's all changed.

The stated reason for refusing to accept any form of laser eye surgery was the possibility of some sort of colour halo effect under certain lighting conditions. I do not recall the specific wording - or hearing about any actual complaints from recipients of this treatment.

The Armed Forces will not pay for the procedure, due to risk and cost. Glasses are safer.

They wouldn't pay for contact lenses either at one time.

This is a very conservative organization.

windsorftw said:
Hello, I was recently informed that the CF is changing the visual requirements for pilots (as in they will allow lasik correction).

Whoever "informed" you of this is wrong.  I am in a recruiting centre right now: the standard has not changed.

Apparently the US Navy is experimenting with corrective surgery to existing members: http://www.avweb.com/newswire/12_25b/briefs/192540-1.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Hello, I was recently informed that the CF is changing the visual requirements for pilots (as in they will allow lasik correction).

I had V1 for the vision test but I am just curious as to what the rumour is exactly - this is the second time I have about a "pilot vision requirement change" rumour.

[stupidquestion] Is the rumour that the CF is going to change the vision requirements to allow people who have had lasik or that they lowering the vision requirements altogether - as in accepting applicants who don't have 20/20 but something acceptable, whatever that may be. Or is it just that people are hoping the CF is going to do this because they "...are short pilots" and they need to fill the vacant spots with qualified people who don't have V1 and the rumour is spreading.[/stupidquestion]

Good posts, all of them.

The requirement is that pilot applicants (that is to say, those who were not former serving pilots) must have 20/20 uncorrected vision.

If and when the policy changes, you can be sure that the word will get out to CFRCs.

I was informed by the Windsor Star (local news paper)

The whole issue on laser eye surgery is this - the individual seeing "halo's" or a blurring effect during night missions.  Now this is true of the procedure 15 years ago when it was first introduced, but technology changes and as such, laser eye surgery is getting better and more efficient.  I have had the procedure done about a year and a half ago and have no side effects (halo's at night) and personally I think they SHOULD change the requirements. 
All in all, with the current lack of personnel to key positions, I think it is wise of the CF to change the standards.  And when they do, I'll be one of the first to apply as a DEO pilot.  Hopefully they will have the change before 10 years though!

O' Canada!

Lucas said the air force has recently updated requirements that previously excluded most women from becoming pilots.

Vision standards are next on the list for the air force, and Lucas anticipates a report in the coming months.

"Right now, we have probably the most stringent vision standards of anybody out there," he said.
"We're looking at that to see if it still makes sense in today's age of corrective vision."

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=dfbbcad0-400a-4182-905e-51ff1bf676f6&k=71334

This is the latest I was able to dig concerning changes in vision standards.

Good luck

I decided to hit the CFRC here in Windsor to see if they had any additional information (and to apply for DEO for the Inf Reserves).  There is a new recruiting directive that will be out by August, and chances are the changes to pilot vision requirements will be implemented in the directive.

I'm just hoping that laser eye surgery will be allowed in there somewhere!
In the meantime, I guess I'll have to stick with the infantry.

this issue has been the subject of much debate for the past 10 years. everytime this issue comes out you hear "it's just around the corner" the same banter as "pilot will be put on the NAFTA trades list.....it's just around the corner" the fact is canada is just behind. the US military have there own doctors doing research on the effects of corrective surgery, while the canadian military does not. and no doctor in canada from private sector is willing to conduct their own research on the canadian forces behalf. one common concern regarding the banning of corrective surgery for canadian forces pilot's is the fact that all canadian forces pilot's train on the same aircraft...which has an ejection seat. that is the main concern. the effects of high g's on a surgically corrected eye. also, a common misconception about the US military...willingness to accept the surgery as a means of entrance is false. the surgical procedure is still not approved for pilot candidates.......HOWEVER, a WAIVER can be obtained. meaning...if you meet certain requirements you might get the waiver. other's and plenty have not.

just playing the devil's advocate here. i sure hope they allow it. there have been some pretty qualified candidates who have been turned away because of it. who know's....but for the time being......i wouldn't hold my breath.

regards,
someone who's "in the know"

sirukin said:
I'm just going to say what's going on in the back of everyone's minds.....

Corrected vision will be accepted for pilots when and only when combat grade remote control robotic fighter drone's in effectiveness replace the capabilities of regular combat pilots.

heh, call me paranoid, but it could happen. I mean to say that any pilots accepted afterwards will be flying transports.
hrm?

Read more post less, when you post, post something worth reading not tripe.  Contribute to the whole of the site please or say nothing.  Also use the spell check feature more often.

Well August has come and gone.  Does anyone know if this new recruiting directive ever came out, and if so, what was included in it (specifically, any changes in vision requirements for pilots)?

Thanks

probum non poenitet said:
Dude, I'm still holding my breath waiting for the implementation of Corps '86 ~~  :D

LMAO!  :rofl:

Hi,

I just found this article:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/pilotvision.htm

I had PRK laser surgery in 2000 with no negative effects. At that time, I vaguely remember something about the US Navy allowing their pilots to get laser surgery. Also, (and I'm certainly no medical authority) I remember being tested with some sort of drops that fully dilate your pupil. I was told that the corrected area, when you have surgery, is approximately 8mm. If your pupil dilates more than 8mm, you will see coronas around lights at night. If it doesn't, you won't. Apparently, some less reputeably shops will not do this test as it will discourage some of their customers....oops, I mean patients. The hazing is a little harder to predict, but from what I remember PRK has (or had at that time - things change) a lower chance of this sort of complication. PRK hurts like hell though.

Anyways, I'm dragging this all from my imperfect memory

Cheers

Well I handed in all my paper work for Inf Officer in the Regs, and I asked if there were any changes were made.  The Recruiter told me there were some changes however they are slow to receive the official changes and was told to call back in a week.  If I find anything out next week when I call, I'll post it up for all to see.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on this one. 
:army:

I was told that the corrected area, when you have surgery, is approximately 8mm. If your pupil dilates more than 8mm, you will see coronas around lights at night. If it doesn't, you won't.

I had those drops done on my uncorrected eyes when I was trying to get in.  They dilated my pupils all right....I don't recall ever seeing those coronas before I had the drops, but once I had them, I always see coronas at night.

That being said, I have worn glasses for some time, but that seems to be one thing that changed since the drops...no idea why.  Anyone have any answers?  Apart from the obvious "maybe you just never noticed before..."?

A Cycloplegic Refraction partially dilates the pupils but more to the point relaxes the lens to allow an unaffected assessment of the eyeès internal structure...that's why as the lens relaxes, you can't focus as closely...reading by holding the book/mag further and further away from your eyes until you give up and imagine what it would be like to be an old fart.  ;D

Good2Golf said:
imagine what it would be like to be an old fart.  ;D

hey! hey! .....just as soon as I can see you, them's fighting words bucko!!

from the old fart  ;D

Back