• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alberta's Surplus?

Torlyn

Inactive
Reaction score
Was firing around a few emails with some other Albertans regarding our surplus for this year...  Our provincial suplus will surpass the federal surplus this year, and one thing that Albertans are starting to fear is the federal government wanting some of that...  (NEP anyone?)  So, in furtherance of that, I've copied some correspondence I've had with some polisci professors and the like:

(the pre-amble to this was the suggestion that we take 2 billion dollars of our surplus (estimated to be 10bil) and re-invest it in Canadian ideas...  IE, not spending all of it in Alberta, in order to keep the feds out of our pockets)

"Actually, we could field naval vessels of comparable capability for far, far
less. Even the far more capable Arleigh Burke class AEGIS destroyers of the
US fleet cost only $800 million per. The vast cost difference owes mostly to
construction in Canada of unique ships (unnecessary), with tiny production
runs, and of course patronage contracts.... that is to say, of using the
military as a social program and slush fund.

Besides which, additional frigates get us nowhere. But $2 billion would
allow for the purchase of an LHD ship that could serve as floating hospital,
landing ship, and heliport/Harrier/F-35 JSF launching pad...
and leave enough left over to equip it with helicopters and landing craft.
Reconfiguration of Canadian forces along MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit)
lines would allow Canada's forces to take full advantage of the capability,
and give those frigates a useful purpose at last by giving them something to
protect.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/lhd-1.htm

If you wanted to think a bit more outside the box...

Alberta could dedicate the money to a specialized chemical/biological unit
and transport, giving Canada a capability that's useful to the USA and UN
and transportable, quickly, anywhere in the world. Recall Iraq, when the
Americans were damn glad to have the Warsaw Pact chem units in theater...
and this is also well suited to epidemic outbreaks and humanitarian aid.
Frankly, I'm afraid the world is going to need this sort of thing in the
coming decades.

Call it the "Norman Bethune Brigade" to appease the left, give it a couple
of dedicated transport aircraft on call (buy commercial cargo class), a
couple of modular and specialized field hospitals (these exist), and chem
decontamination, detection, and protection equipment.
You'd still need to get American C-17s to drop the big stuff in remote
areas, but at $600M each you can't have that without adding another billion.
Then you recruit young doctors and required support staff, and also create a
specialized virtual reserve unit trained in public health emergencies et.
al. (nice side benefit for the provinces, who need more of that).

Alberta's quid pro quo would include more than health care in this case.
It would also demand that Ottawa set up a jointly funded center in Alberta
for advanced disease research and biotechnology - thus augmenting its
growing technology base and making a long term contribution to its economic
clout.

Just a thought."

Another thought we were discussing was opting out of federal heath care.  The feds keep demanding we run our health care according to their rules, but considering we only receive about 1.7 billion in heath care transfers a year, we can easily exclude the feds, and pay our health care professionals more money (ergo, getting better doctors, etc)...  Also, what about the creation of a provincial police, and removing the RCMP from staffing our rural areas?  Food for thought...

T

I know a guy who has a T-shirt that says "Republic of Alberta"

I love the idea of Alberta of taking a pro-active course and flexing it's muscles with this revenue. By taking the initiative and putting up money for federal projects, Alberta can dictate certain policies and courses of action. Saying, 'here is some money for some more frigates' is a solid example. Would he feds say 'no' to taking that money? I doubt it.

I have heard the call for Alberta's own police force a few times. I don't really see the benefit of it as I think it would cost a great deal more in the long run. Other than being a symbol of Alberta Independence, what would it do for us?

Pieman said:
I know a guy who has a T-shirt that says "Republic of Alberta"

I love the idea of Alberta of taking a pro-active course and flexing it's muscles with this revenue. By taking the initiative and putting up money for federal projects, Alberta can dictate certain policies and courses of action. Saying, 'here is some money for some more frigates' is a solid example. Would he feds say 'no' to taking that money? I doubt it.

I have heard the call for Alberta's own police force a few times. I don't really see the benefit of it as I think it would cost a great deal more in the long run. Other than being a symbol of Alberta Independence, what would it do for us?

It would allow us to have more say in our policing directives.  As things stand, the policies followed are dictated by the political body that is the RCMP, thus, being federal, has a less alberta-centraled focus.  Were we to move towards a provincial police, we would be able to dictate the requirements, the training, and the applicants we accept.  I think that alberta would be better off (rurally) being policed by albertans, who are trained in alberta.  It works for Quebec and Ontario, why not us?  And, it IS more cost effective to do it locally...  Ontario and Quebec do it for those reasons alone.  Don't get me wrong, we'll still have an RCMP presence in Alberta, however it will be limited to policing federal crimes, rather than the local ones they take care of now.  If there is anyone reading this who has grown up in rural alberta, I'd love to hear your coments. 

T

The rcmp "undercut" in communities they serve in. They run several members short of minimum manning to make it cheaper for rural communities to use RCMP than create their own force. As for an APP you're looking at 2011 when the RCMP contract runs out. Thats a long ways off. It would be mostly cosmetic most RCMP here would trade one uniform for another. However it is a chance to correct shortages in certain areas.

Not slagging the RC's. I love 'em. Best front line cops Ive ever worked with. unfortunately they paper pusher mounties in the east ruin it...

As long as the honorable Heather Forsyth is the Solicitor General we will NEVER see it.

Man I love Ralf, "Hands off" he says. He is so right.
I really do hope he takes a proactive route that we are talking about, otherwise Alberta may have this money swiped from us if the Feds think long and hard about how to get it.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/09/30/kleinep040930.html
===========================================================
Klein warns feds away from Alberta's money
Last Updated Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:35:39 EDT
CALGARY - Premier Ralph Klein has warned Ottawa to keep its "hands off" Alberta's coffers, which are bulging with oil dollars.

INDEPTH: Equalization Payments

Ralph Klein in July 
"We don't want to see a raid on our treasury. We don't want to see another [National Energy Program]," Klein told the Edmonton Petroleum Club on Wednesday.

The Trudeau government brought in the NEP in 1980 in an attempt to increase Canadian control over the country's oil industry and oil prices. It was reviled in Alberta as an attempt to divert the province's wealth to central Canada.

FROM JULY 12, 2004: Alberta declares itself debt-free

"By God, Ottawa, keep your hands off," was the message Klein said he'd take to the Oct. 26 federal-provincial conference on re-jigging the formula for equalization payments, the system which redistributes income from rich to poor provinces.

Alberta and Ontario have historically been among the net contributors to the pot, while Newfoundland is one among several provinces to perennially receive funds.

There has been speculation that the federal government would try to introduce some form of taxation that would let other provinces participate in Alberta's recent windfall, which has been driven by the spike in oil prices. During the summer, the province announced it was set to soon pay down the last of its debt.

Klein served notice he would fight to head off any cash grab.

"I want to make sure that we're treated fairly at the equalization talks. The talk now is that there will never be a raid on Alberta's prosperity, but you're always on guard," he said.

Observers said Klein was resorting to tough talk on the eve of an election, which could be called as early as November.

Despite speculation to the contrary, Klein reiterated on Thursday that he planned to stay on for four or five years, saying it was too early to talk about who might succeed him as provincial Conservative leader.

Written by CBC News Online staff
===============================================

Back