• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alberta floods 2013

MilEME09 said:
Joke or not, last briefing I got was that 90% of Dom ops was to be reservist, 10% reg force(Just as expeditionary ops are 90% reg, 10% reserve). Which is why the territorial brigade groups were created. Atleast that's it on paper

You sound like a guy complaining about someone coming in and stealing your thunder. This ain't a big R little r deal. This is about ******* helping the people who are affected.

Or you know, you just tell my guys when they get on ground that they can turn around cus "You got this"

Beadwindow 7 said:
You sound like a guy complaining about someone coming in and stealing your thunder. This ain't a big R little r deal. This is about ******* helping the people who are affected.

Or you know, you just tell my guys when they get on ground that they can turn around cus "You got this"

didn't mean it like that, I was more trying to suggest that since we have forces in the area in the form of the reserves those should be heading out first, to hold the line so to speak until reg force elements can arrive. I apologize if I had an arrogant tone, or made off seeming to say the reg force should sit back while people need help.

ten+commandments+charlton+heston+movie+moses+STAND+BACK+I+GOT+THIS+MEME.jpg

MilEME09 said:
didn't mean it like that, I was more trying to suggest that since we have forces in the area in the form of the reserves those should be heading out first, to hold the line so to speak until reg force elements can arrive. I apologize if I had an arrogant tone, or made off seeming to say the reg force should sit back while people need help.

So, how many Reservists in the AO are available?  How many are already employed (civvy side) with emergency response agencies (police, fire, paramedics) and thus already occupied?  How many are engaged in self-recovery, as they work to save themselves and their families from the flood?  Can we guarantee a certain level of response?  How long will it take to assemble them?

Those are the fundamental problems with relying on the Reserve Force for a first response.

MilEME09 said:

You did quite well in stepping into your own feces, congrats.
Now for a dose of reality...never miss an opportunity to keep quiet. You have no clue what you're talking about. Your first post clearly indicated that the R Force should just "hold thier horses" as it were.
How fast do you think your unit could be launched? How many could you actually get on a fan out? What specialized equipment could you bring to the table.

FFS....engage brain before shooting.

MilEME09 said:

During the Ice Storm of 98 we were called up pretty quick but it was clusterf**k.  We were deployed locally within 12 hours and waited another 6 before actually going out to do anything and then mostly for photo ops at first.  We likely would never had made it to our AOR without the assistance of the city bus system.  sad, I know but this was the 90s after all. Just about the whole unit made it out but...it was the holiday season and most people were not in school or at work.  The Reg force I imagine had to call people back from leave and that would have slowed down their deployment.  I remember 2 CER arriving shortly after we were there with heavier machinery and equipment.  All we could do was minor clearing and information gathering which was important to assess and prioritise what had to be done.  We did a lot of community organising and coordinating.   

Dom ops isn't about rushing into the first affected area, it's about assessing the whole thing and deploying available ressources at the appropriate time and place.  Be it reg force or reserve.  The local reserve unit may not be equiped to handle the local problem.  Then again it might.  But greater powers than us decide that.

Edit to add:  And back then I was so down the food chain that I barely had a grasp on all the moving parts. 

MilEME09 said:
Edmonton can hold their horses, DOM ops is reserve territory, not to say we don't need all assistance, but by how its set up reserves are called in first, then additional man power as needed from reg force.  we are waiting on LFWA and brigade to make up their minds

Please do not tread where you have no depth. It would take the Pres at least 24-72 hours to even get the troops together. Trust me.

1 CMBG has the IRU and they normally respond with in a few hours.

Alright everyone, I think he gets the point.

Time to move on.

---Staff---

buddy from 3vp left today to calgary, stay dry boys and girls

City just announced they are doing a controlled evacuation of the entire downtown core

Canadian Forces says 31 people pulled from rooftops in southern Alberta
The Canadian Press
21 June 2013
copy at: http://globalnews.ca/news/660842/canadian-forces-says-31-people-pulled-from-rooftops-in-southern-alberta/

CALGARY – The Canadian Forces says it has pulled 31 people off rooftops in southern Alberta.

Three helicopters were used last night to rescue the people stranded in the flooded High River area, south of Calgary.

They were taken to the local airport.

A spokesperson for Defence Minister Peter MacKay says the choppers have been monitoring the area, including Canmore, High River and Kananaskis.

It is expected that 354 soldiers will be sent over the next 24 hours to help flood victims in the region.

Another six helicopters are also en route.

Myself and partner Rescued this morning via Helicopter from a Fire Watch Tower. Patrol Car swept out by the water just outside Banff/Canmore overnight.

http://globalnews.ca/video/661728/raw-video-downtown-calgary-flooding/

http://www.rmoutlook.com/article/20130621/RMO0801/306219998/-1/RMO/1500-stranded-in-kananaskis-country

1,500 stranded in Kananaskis country
21 June 2013
About 1,500 people are stranded in Kananaskis Country and the Canadian military has been called in to build temporary bridges on the remains of Highway 40 to assist with the effort.

District conservation officer Glenn Naylor said conditions in the region have gotten worse in the past 24 hours, and the priority now is to get those stranded to safety.

“We’re estimating in K-country, we have close to 1,500 stranded. Some are flying out, some are happy to stay there,” Naylor said.

Of the 1,500, 700 are in Evan Thomas Provincial Park, which includes staff at Kananaskis Village, while another 250 are campers. The village is still under a boil water advisory and Kananaskis Improvement District has declared a state of emergency...........

continues at link above

If only there were some sort of rapidly deployable bridging asset, perhaps mounted on a tracked chassis.  Oh, right, they're not required any more, never mind.

Some good fishing right at your doorstep:

https://twitter.com/markusoff/status/348165586628509697/photo/1

Mention of military activity in High River

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/communications+breakdowns+long+list+woes+hard+High+River/8560234/story.html

.......Information coming out of High River so far has been sporadic, but points to a dire picture emerging in the evacuated town of 13,000.
In a series of tweets Friday morning, town officials said the RCMP is going door-to-door searching for any residents who may remain trapped in the town following Thursday’s mandatory evacuation.
Police, with the help of Canadian Forces personnel, are also continuing to bar access to town and secure residents’ homes.    .........................

Kat Stevens said:
If only there were some sort of rapidly deployable bridging asset, perhaps mounted on a tracked chassis.  Oh, right, they're not required any more, never mind.
…and here is their state:
MCG said:
… the last of them are now retired, gutted and parked at CFSD in Edmonton.

Back