• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airfield defence role for PRes? (From: "Re-Royalization")

Can have ugly army uniforms imposing on air bases.  Better to make a few squadrons of infantry in Air Force uniforms.  Right?

Plus, you'd likely start bleeding troops.

"OK folks, your options are going to an Air Force base for the summer, where they call each other Goose and Maverick, play beach volleyball all day, and the Mess Hall is always BBQ steak......or you go to Meaford to dig in the clay until it's time to go to Pet to get beasted by CSM Duke's Coy for the way you're dressed.  Any takers?  Beuller?"

biggest problem is, if you want to defend an airfield, you also need to defend it from air treats, that requires a government willing to purchase new kit to do that task, last I checked that project wont even see tender till 2019

Journeyman said:
Plus, you'd likely start bleeding troops.

"OK folks, your options are going to an Air Force base for the summer, where they call each other Goose and Maverick, play beach volleyball all day, and the Mess Hall is always BBQ steak......or you go to Meaford to dig in the clay until it's time to go to Pet to get beasted by CSM Duke's Coy for the way you're dressed.  Any takers?  Beuller?"

That's ridiculous.

The name is spelled Bueller.

MilEME09 said:
biggest problem is, if you want to defend an airfield, you also need to defend it from air treats, that requires a government willing to purchase new kit to do that task, last I checked that project wont even see tender till 2019

I purposely left that out as to far distance. Of course you could just get a console and create a game where the camera feeds in a real world picture onto a screen. You move the crosshairs onto the target and a virtual missile intercepts the crosshairs. That way we can pretend to have Manpads.

If you want to do on the quick as well as cheap and nasty as I recall the Jerries have something on the order of 1500 plus RH 202  twin mounts in storage.
The only problem I can see aside from it being an actual solution as opposed to a long term study complete with weekly power point briefings. Is that we've already rejected the gun at least three times before if memory serves.

It would be a great gun for teaching Reserve AD roles. Cheap and fun and still useful for anti-drone and ground attack.

Colin P said:
It would be a great gun for teaching Reserve AD roles. Cheap and fun and still useful for anti-drone and ground attack.
Ah! And yet another strike against it ! ( you will note that there are no smileys attached  I'm being serious .

captloadie said:
Does not have yet. But possibly coming to an Air Reserve Flight near you in the not to distant future.
:nod: look for a new MOSID to come forth for those wanting to join the Air Reserves.  I'm still unsure of how their application will benefit a Wing - since most reservists are available during evenings and weekends - two time periods that are quietest on a Wing.

Ditch said:
:nod: look for a new MOSID to come forth for those wanting to join the Air Reserves.  I'm still unsure of how their application will benefit a Wing - since most reservists are available during evenings and weekends - two time periods that are quietest on a Wing.
Because an enemy would never attack an airbase on either a weekend or an evening. :nod:

GK .Dundas said:
Because an enemy would never attack an airbase on either a weekend or an evening. :nod:

I thought if we went to war, the last diplomatic message would be "please only attack during office hours"

That’s ok, the reserves can practice their base defense without inconveniencing the air wing personal, except for any poor sod who is on extra duties. The Reserves could generate some extra bodies to take part in base defense exercises during the week day. 

Colin P said:
And you could with out a great deal of effort mount an or tow it behind a Milverado .

Now your just getting technical  [:p

Ali_Hassan_al-Jaber_Brigade.jpg

What's wrong with mounting a weapon system on the back of a milcot?

We could finally put the TAPV's in their proper environment (seeing as they are descent red from the Commando-150, designed and purchased as an airfield defense and security vehicle....).

I'll be sure to order a couple TAPVs when they hit the system - the CA doesn't quite know what they're going to do with them anyways.

MilEME09 said:
What's wrong with mounting a weapon system on the back of a milcot?

Nobody said that it was. The common term for an improvised armed pick-up truck, Somali-originated, I believe, is a "technical".

Better platforms are available, though. We should not be as desperate as other third-world countries.

jollyjacktar said:
You call'n us a third world country?  Tough crowd.

Just wait for a few more "sunny" years.

Back