• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Reserve Questions:

Enjoy the hero-worship while you can, Inch.

Soon enough, you will be JAFCP on a det, trying to give his god-fearing and much better looking TACCO a heart attack as you charge the hangar door while learning to land on a ship...    ;)

Sorry to burst your bubble

Cheers!

SeaKingTacco said:
Enjoy the hero-worship while you can, Inch.

Soon enough, you will be JAFCP on a det, trying to give his god-fearing and much better looking TACCO a heart attack as you charge the hangar door while learning to land on a ship...    ;)

Sorry to burst your bubble

Cheers!

I take it any way I can get it!  ;D

I've heard that you guys aren't too keen about being on board for our very first deck landing. 12 ft is pretty close, and I thought confined areas where fun to go into, I can't wait for the ship!

aesop081 said:
Just remember.....Inch only DRIVES the bus !!

So what are you a gunner/navigator?

And what are those wings for? They look cool.

I've heard that you guys aren't too keen about being on board for our very first deck landing. 12 ft is pretty close, and I thought confined areas where fun to go into, I can't wait for the ship!

LP 1 usually isn't too bad, because it is done in really calm seas and the AC is really close on the controls.   I find LP3 just about the worst...

If you can make FLYCO and the Maintenance Chief dive for the deck- you got real close to the hangar door with the rotor blades.    

I just put down my dark visor, lock my harness, and try not to throw-up while I log the landings for the pilot.

Cheers!

SeaKingTacco said:
LP 1 usually isn't too bad, because it is done in really calm seas and the AC is really close on the controls.   I find LP3 just about the worst...

If you can make FLYCO and the Maintenance Chief dive for the deck- you got real close to the hangar door with the rotor blades.    

I just put down my dark visor, lock my harness, and try not to throw-up while I log the landings for the pilot.

Cheers!

BAHAHAHAHAHA! That's hilarious!

foxtwo said:
So what are you a gunner/navigator?

And what are those wings for? They look cool.

I'm an airborne electronic sensor operator (AESOp) those are the wings i wear........i tell the driver...er..pilot where to go !!

Gald you think that our wings are cool.....we are way cooler than navs cuz we have 3 lightning bolts as oposed to one !! ( sorry skt, gotta get my digs in, say hi to Billy Preston for me, i think he works in STRO he was in winnipeg with me)

anyways..i smell toats burning...........back to the old peanut butter

aesop081 said:
I'm an airborne electronic sensor operator (AESOp) those are the wings i wear........i tell the driver...er..pilot where to go !!

Come on man, you gotta tell the kid the rest of the story, you only get to tell me where to go when the sonar is in the water or you're conning me onto a load/hoistee. For deck evolutions, instrument flying, hovering, going from point A to point B, low level nav, take offs, landings, autorotations, etc, etc, you sit there and enjoy the ride or watch the GPS clock tick down on our hot fuel time. Or at least you would be if you weren't a fixed wing fag.

Inch said:
Come on man, you gotta tell the kid the rest of the story, you only get to tell me where to go when the sonar is in the water or you're conning me onto a load/hoistee. For deck evolutions, instrument flying, hovering, going from point A to point B, low level nav, take offs, landings, autorotations, etc, etc, you sit there and enjoy the ride or watch the GPS clock tick down on our hot fuel time. Or at least you would be if you weren't a fixed wing fag.

Whats the matter Inch.....worried someone is moving in on your hero turff ?

And i was poking fun at navs...even you can agree with that......right?

aesop081 said:
Whats the matter Inch.....worried someone is moving in on your hero turff ?

And i was poking fun at navs...even you can agree with that......right?

Nope, I'm not too concerned about that, just stating the facts.  ;D

I like navs, Panel check list......Sonar- "seated and sighted", Sonar - "seated and sighted", Sonar - "seated and sighted", and so on as we do multiple circuits.

Fox Two, first of all let me commend you both on your presentation here (quite mature) and also your forward thinking!  You've got the beginnings of a solid "personal Campaign Plan".  Armies (and in the end Nations) live or die by well executed Campaign Plans.

It seems that you are willing to accept that risk that if you have a goal of being a pilot, but may not follow that particular path for whatever reason, that you would still be quite comfortable with considering a career in the military.  Inch is right when he states that going through cadets and getting your GPL or PPL does not necessarily guarantee success in flight training.  Absolutely true, and many guys who have made it thought flight training and received their wings will tell you that "aptitude" is important, but "attitude" will make or break you.  This is also true in non-flight related issues in life as well, BTW.

Now, that said...(this is the "however")  ;) ...it certainly won't kill you to pursue flying within the cadets.  I received my GPL in Trenton and would have likely received my PPL in North Bay were it not for having to hop on the Sacred White Cow (the old CC-137 Boeing of days past) and fly out to Chilliwack for BOTC.  Oops...planning and preparation slightly "below the line".  Of course I figured trading a relatively sure thing (PPL on a Power Scholarship, I had done reasonably well on Glider Scholarship) was very much worth the risk of potentially not making it through CF flight training.  What I learned/experienced through cadets was just as valuable to the attitude portion of success I mentioned earlier as the aptitude.

If you are considering a potential career in the CF, then I might suggest that a "dual" reserve (militia) and cadet path might be worthy of consideration.  The militia time does two things...one, it starts pensionable time that is added to your Reg Force time if and when you choose to enter Reg service, and two, it gives you a very solid skill set for dealing with military life...particularly as all arms/elements will be involved in expeditionary/deployed operations in the future.  The air cadet side of things will flesh out that flying/air environment piece and maybe, just maybe assist you during flight training (assuming you are selected through ACS).  Having seen what I've seen for a couple of decades of service, I would actually rank your choices:

1) Militia only,
2) Both militia and cadets, and
3) Air cadets only

Reality is that it would take a lot of time to do both, and schoolwork, etc...  It would have to be a decision you make in the end.

Now, FoxTwo -- on a bit of a serious note, and I really hate to get overly dramitic here, but I have to address something that could seriously lead to an early failure in your career...it's this "Worshipping 'Inch' Thing"!  We'll have to work really hard on that...maybe SeaKingTacco and I can convince you that Inch isn't quite the role model for you as you might think.  Now, don't worry, it's not a fatal flaw...we can work on it with you!  ......  ;)

p.s. These wings are much cooler than the Sea King driver wings Inch showed you!

Cheers,
Duey

Gald you think that our wings are cool.....we are way cooler than navs cuz we have 3 lightning bolts as oposed to one !! ( sorry skt, gotta get my digs in, say hi to Billy Preston for me, i think he works in STRO he was in winnipeg with me)

Err- AESOP081- Shouldn't you be in the galley, making someone a club sandwich?     ;D

Ok- Pilots drive the bus, AESOPs find targets, Navigators make sure holes get put into the targets.   That about sums up our various roles.

Young BP was one of my SACs on OTTAWA.   Good to see him over on "dark side".

Cheers, all.

SeaKingTacco said:
Err- AESOP081- Shouldn't you be in the galley, making someone a club sandwich?     ;D

Ok- Pilots drive the bus, AESOPs find targets, Navigators make sure holes get put into the targets.   That about sums up our various roles.

Young BP was one of my SACs on OTTAWA.   Good to see him over on "dark side".

Cheers, all.

I think you have me confused with ASO 1 and ASO 2.......navigators as i recall  ;D But i must admit that having our own toaster has its advantages ...

Take good care of BP...you guys gained a good AESOp.....

SeaKingTacco said:

Cheers, all.

Good call. I'm actually getting to really like the whole crew concept thing. I always get a laugh when I hear the 3rd voice say "ball's out". I can never feel it up front, one time I was in the back and my buddy was flying a whole ball out and it's pretty uncomfortable.

Duey, that stings amigo.  :'( Now, as for those wings, the only thing that seems different is the colour of the leaf, but what that means, I'll leave to you to explain and enlighten us superior MH beings.  ;)

Wow thanks for the reply Duey it's gotten me thinking again...(like I ever stopped ::))
I totally wish I can do this dual" reserve (militia) and cadet path. I'm close to the Lorne Scots Regiment and I have a passionate love military life like it's not even funny and I think it's the least I can give back to the Country that has given so much to me :salute: :cdn:. The problem is that the Scots meet up on Thursdays, same as ground school at cadets. Also after this summer, my camps will be devoted to scholarships assuming that I make it. Is there any way that this Combat Ready Infantry can work around my stupid schedule? Now when it comes to schoolwork, how do I not say this without looking cocky... I'm above average. I plan to stay this way. I am excellent at time management. I never missed a parade night through cadets once I'm that devoted. If I enrol in the Scots for some reason, should it be as an officer or NCO do you think? See also, I can if I wanted to, get my PPL outside of cadets, but it comes out to $9 750 (self-explanatory) My dad on the other hand has A LOT of experience. Close to 10 000 hours with PPL and his Commercial Career so he's really supportive and sees where I'm coming from, but mom... you know how mom's can be ::). Cadets is a one time opportunity though so it's not like I can go back after 19. I want a job in the "militia" bad but things just aren't working out for me now. I'm Basically screwed till I'm done cadets unless you guys have this super-amazing idea that will get me back on
track... :)

Oh yeah and the "worshipping" lol it's not like that I just have a great respect towards him.
And I geuss you too because you're also a pilot :D

Inch said:
Duey, that stings amigo.   :'( Now, as for those wings, the only thing that seems different is the colour of the leaf, but what that means, I'll leave to you to explain and enlighten us superior MH beings.   ;)

B flight secret squirel wings !!!

Inch said:
Good call. I'm actually getting to really like the whole crew concept thing. I always get a laugh when I hear the 3rd voice say "ball's out". I can never feel it up front, one time I was in the back and my buddy was flying a whole ball out and it's pretty uncomfortable.

Duey, that stings amigo.   :'( Now, as for those wings, the only thing that seems different is the colour of the leaf, but what that means, I'll leave to you to explain and enlighten us superior MH beings.   ;)

Inch, aesop081,

I'll see you gents on the JSS in a few months! (well...years, maybe...)   ;)

p.s.   The wings are in a proposal phase, mirroring other operators who are permitted to wear a certain insignia upon leaving active service with the unit.

p.p.s.  Don't ever tell anybody you saw Chinooks operating off a ship...they'll call you a heretic and try to lock you away!  ;D

Cheers,
Duey

I am aware that you must have a Degree in order to become a pilot, so can you train to be a pilot and go to RMC at the same time or something?

foxtwo said:
I am aware that you must have a Degree in order to become a pilot, so can you train to be a pilot and go to RMC at the same time or something?

You can only do primary flight training during one of the summers. Basic flight training and beyond won't happen till after you graduate due to the length of the courses. BFT is 6-8 months and Advanced flying training is 4-6 months for helos and multi, not sure about jets.

Back