• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Matress vs. Foam Pad/Substitute Matress

I think I'll bring the self deflating air matress and just sleep on the ground.

Mine had the opposite problem....I didn't need to open the valve for it to self inflate.

Not to hijack things too far, but ever woke up with a 6 inch centipede in your SB or had a snake try to crawl into your SB, or to be covered with dozens of freakish wierd ant bites?

I have.

In this at times godless environment here in Australia, such creepy-crawlies are as common as mosquitos in Canada. Spiders the size of one's hand don't settle to good with me either, especially when they crawl into your boots. Then there is the mosquitos, and they come happy with Ross River fever, Denge Fever, and other unhappy diseases, then there is ticks which make you sick, causing lots of nureological problems, resulting in death if not looked after. Insanity!

So now, I do it the Aussie way (when the tactical situation dictates, which is most of the time). Although I pack a SB, and pad with my (yes a CF 82 ptrn) in my ruck for the just in case scenerios, in Corps other than Infantry, Swags are used.

Here is mine set up ealrier in May, up at Shoalwater Bay north of the tropic of Capricorn, in Queensland. May was a loooooooooooong month.

Everyone has them.

Cheers,

Wes

Even got it in Auscam! Thats special Wes. Mines a nice, simple Wild River swag, carries my sleeping bag, horse blanket, mattress and other bits and pieces inside it. Bloody awesome to jump into that, just stow it in the vehicle and roll her out with we pull up. If its cold i'll put the poles and strings up, otherwise just jump inside and pull the cover over the top.
Seriously guys, if you ever get a chance to get one and your in a vehicle, hook right in and grab it. They are totally brilliant.

You may find a Big Agnes or a Exped air mattress to be super-cozy.  They are both available from MEC.  The Agnes will have a synthetic core material while the Exped will be down.  The down will be lighter and warmer, but condensation is really not goose-down's friend, so cold weather may actually make condensation too much of a handicap.  Due to this reason, the Big Agnes is probably the better option.  Twice as thick as the Mustang AirMattress issued (it never was a therma-rest), and 3 "times as warm" (based on insulation R values).  Takes longer to inflate than a self-inflater, but in a field exercise or other situation where comfort is an important key element, it shouldn't really be a big problem.  In truely time-sensitive operational environments, especially if cold, then closed foam pads are the way to go.

That's just my two cents worth

Ridge Rest full length, and I roll 1/4 of it up for a pillow so it's really like having the 3/4 length.

G2G

Just an update...only one of my BIQ staff bothered to comment on my Z-rest, and when I explained I hadn't been able to get a replacement air matteress, he simply said, "Well, if that's what you have, then that's what you'll use."

During my time as a Ranger Instructor, I used the Exped 9.  Great piece of kit.  It did take time to inflate, but time well spent.  I had no problems with condensation even after 10 days in the field, although I used a heavy duty emergency blanket under me.  Much better than the self inflate, and the black rubber one.  Although if you can get your hands on a Caribou hide, it is the bee's kness.  Until of course the SM catches you with fur on your uniform.

- The Rubber Lady:
Plus - Good in Winter for arctic tent benches and keeping the bag off the snow.  Fast pack-up: pull the plug. Good on Very rough ground (while inflated). Can dry quick if wet.  Useful as a pool toy (fording rivers, etc).
Minus - Acts as a 'heatsink' under a human body in winter: up to 15 mph wind currents in the matress will suck the heat from you and rotate it to the foot of the matress to be chilled by the air.  Slow to inflate.  No use if leaks and easily punctured. MilSpec prohibitively expensive.

- Thermarest generic:
Plus - Some use if leaking.  Self inflation (to a point).
Minus - Not as handy on rough ground.  Slower to dry if wet.  Not thick enough to keep s-bag out of snow. Takes longer to pack up.

Foam Pads:
Plus - Low maint.  Fast deploy and pack up.  Cheap.
Minus - Feel every rock.  Too thin to 'float' above the snow. Mounted on ruck, old 'bluefoam' pads and others tear while walking through dense conifer forests.

Back