• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Matress vs. Foam Pad/Substitute Matress

Adrian

Inactive
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of the experienced troops in my regiment drop their issued air matress in favour of a foam-type/rubber matress pad, which just attaches to their rucks by the normal straps without a cover.  What are the benefits/drawbacks of this, and since I was thinking to do the same (my air matress is shyte) I was wondering what some good foam/rubber pads would be to buy.

Ridge Rest.   The Ridge rest is all I have every used once I got rid of the old black air mattress.   I have never used my thermarest.

Air mattress is too much effort - I hated wasting the minute or two in the morning leaning on it while the air drained out so I could pack it up.

devil39 said:
Ridge Rest.   The Ridge rest is all I have every used once I got rid of the old black air mattress.   I have never used my thermarest.

Roger that Devil, Ridge Rest all the way. I acactuallyiked the old air mat for winter ops, esespeciallyts bench making capability in the 10 man.

http://www.mec.ca/Main/content_text.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=315841
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=677965&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=747673&bmUID=1105590135750

I acactuallyiked the old air mat for winter ops, esespeciallyts bench making capability in the 10 man.

Agreed. As well, I prefer to air matress on any EX where I know I'm not going to get bugged out. On Ex. Able Bear (Op ATHENA validation EX) we were set up in mod tents, so I opted for the comfort and warmth of the thermal rest.

But in any other situation I use my 3/4 length RidgeRest, which I keep rolled up inside my issued thermal rest bag when not in use. The bag keeps it protected, low profile, and its the fastest way to roll it up and keep it rolled.

Blakey said:
Roger that Devil, Ridge Rest all the way. I acactuallyiked the old air mat for winter ops, esespeciallyts bench making capability in the 10 man.

Yup, especially in the old days when we didn't have bivvy bags.   Nothing worse than waking up with the bottom 2 feet of your sleeping bag wet.   In the days before even space blankets.   Only the CQ and CSM had coco matting :)

Today with the bivvy bag, I still have the rubber lady somewhere, and I have absolutely no idea where my issued thermarest is.   I have never inflated it, not that it is a bad piece of kit, just not the best option at the really pointy end of the stick.  

Man get those black ones back in service, 3 minutes blowing it up are worth the ten ties better sleep I can get than anyone fiddling with those friggin blow hole self inflating pieces of crap.  I used the British sleeping roll for a while, it is light closed cell foam and weighs no more than any of the other mattresses.  But then I tried Black (air mattress), and it is true, you never go back.

I used the US issue OD high density foam mat in lieu of the issue inflatable mattress, have you ever the noise 50 inflating air mattresses generates in a hide? Especially the ones where the inflation bag coupling squeels? Too heavy as well.

when i go with army cadets the issue pad makes a good pillow, i would rather use a foam pad lighter to.

Does anyone know if I'd catch a poo tornado for bringing my new foam pad on B1Q instead of the self inflating one issued to me. Deflating that thing in a hide or getting moving quick isn't easy with the air mat.

yes
yes you would
would you look the same as everyone else? no, therefore jackings and getting smoked
mind you in the unit, they most likely won't mind.

I know this a really old tread, and the latest post did not talk specifically about mattress types but.
here what I use:
The Pro lite Therm-a-rest short and a short piece of foldableZ Lite (therm-a-rest) (cut for butt to neck fit).
I find it lighter than using a full length and a lot more versatile and redundant.
It works in relatively cold temp, since you can us them on top of each other or end to end.
You have a backup in case of failure, or forgotten marttress by somebody else.
both of them are foldable (I fold the therm-a-rest instead of rolling, it fits better in the backpack)
The Z-lite can also be use as a seat without any failure issues.

I'm not in the military, so those comments may be moot for some.

Thanks. I have been reading your site for a while, and enjoy it a lot.
I'm just happy to contribute with something i know something about.

Maybe somebody has other cool ideas.

EV

Samsquanch said:
Does anyone know if I'd catch a poo tornado for bringing my new foam pad on B1Q instead of the self inflating one issued to me. Deflating that thing in a hide or getting moving quick isn't easy with the air mat.

I don't have much of a choice...its either bring my Z-Rest or nothing to BIQ.  My air mattress got a busted valve 8 months ago and when I turned it in after my last course, my QM told me not to be surprised if I don't get one before the next course (which is now only a week away).

At least I was able to score an all-green Z-Rest, not like those orange-and-grey ones they have at MEC.

CanadianTire said:
I don't have much of a choice...its either bring my Z-Rest or nothing to BIQ.  My air mattress got a busted valve 8 months ago and when I turned it in after my last course, my QM told me not to be surprised if I don't get one before the next course (which is now only a week away).

At least I was able to score an all-green Z-Rest, not like those orange-and-grey ones they have at MEC.

So what makes you think that because you don't have it, that you can substitute with something of your own?  Would you bring your own helmet if something broke on your issued one?

Don't be so quick to assume that you will get away with this one...

I've already let my section commander know...and have been advised to bring my Z-Rest just in case, but I should be getting a new air mattress on course.

I picked up a great air matress for camping -- filled with down.  The stuff sack is used to inflate it and it packs extremely small.  I used it on the last winter ex I was on and was VERY warm.  It took about as much time to pack as the therma-rest and comes in black so there was no complaints from the SM.

Back