• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force CE

Crimmsy

Inactive
Reaction score
Sam69's mention of OP BULLDOZER in my earlier thread on Moose Jaw led me to find this page:
http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/airfield_engineers/history/history_4_e.asp
which contains an thoroughly fascinating story of the Air Force's engineers' activities during the postwar period. As someone who finds himself serving in an Air Force with only a half dozen or so major air bases, I find it very interesting to read stories that describe an air force in which places like Centralia, Gimli, Penhold, etc., are major players in the story.

C.

I know Centralia was quite the happening place in the late 50's and early 60's. I drove by there today on my way home from Brussels, and sometimes you can still feel the "aura" of a former airbase. Rows of PMQ and Quadplex's, huge brick barrack buildings, long perfectly engineered runways cutting across corn fields, control towers, sturdy fences etc.
Sadly, most people that live around there today don't know that Canada has an airforce, and could probably care less. All they know is they got a good deal on some housing out in the middle of no where.

Imagine what it was like for the ground crews who maintained the aircraft and the airfield ... including the now dilapidated emergency strip over by Grand Bend. How would you like to work there in the summer in the current age of female "buffness"? :(

whiskey601 said:
I know Centralia was quite the happening place in the late 50's and early 60's. I drove by there today on my way home from Brussels, and sometimes you can still feel the "aura" of a former airbase.

Did you happen to notice if the curling rink was still there?  My Grandfather helped build it once upon a time. 

If you are talking about Centralia's curling rink....I believe it is still there.  I know they still have a decent hockey rink!!

Chipper said:
If you are talking about Centralia's curling rink....I believe it is still there.   I know they still have a decent hockey rink!!

Hockey' s all ways Good

Back