• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
I‘m 15 years old, 16 on January 9th, and am looking into reserves.. Do I need to complete Grade 10 first or have credits or something (I‘ve no idea what credits are anyway).

Second question. Do I need to bring my report cards to the recruiter when joining the reserves? Because I‘m not the most academic person. I failed Math two years in a row (Made up for it in Summer School though. Once with an A and the other time C+) but generally average marks in my other class and am taking Math 10A this year (That‘s a step down from Math 10 Principles with is the normal course).
Will that affect me at all?
Thanks.

You can apply and they may hold your application until you turn 16.

You‘ll probably have to bring a transcript from the Ministry of Education, not the report card, because report cards are not official documents. Correct me if I‘m wrong.

So I dont need to pass Grade 10 before entering the reserves?
And do the marks matter? I‘m looking into Infantry, not advanced computer technician or anything.

The minimum age to be enrolled into most of our programs is 17. However you may apply for the Regular Officer Training Plan -- ROTP (Junior Program) and the Reserves at 16. For the Cadet Instructor Cadre (CIC) the minimum age is 18.

The minimum education required is grade 10 complete as described by your province. However some occupations or entry programs in the Regular Force or the Reserves, will require a high school or CEGEP/community college diploma or even a university degree. If in doubt you may ask a Recruiter.

Looks like you‘ll have to wait until the end of the school year. Start training, you‘ll need it.

Hey
I just joined the Reserves last May, I turned 16 on the 13th, so my application was a bit late...When you hand in all your forms, you have to show them a transcript, but your marks don‘t really matter as long as you have the required 15 credits. You will do your phyiscal testing, and stuff like that, but can actaully be sworn in until you show them a final transcript with 15 credits on it. Hope that helps!

What are credits, how are they earned, and how do you know how many you have?

Originally posted by SFontaine:
[qb] What are credits, how are they earned, and how do you know how many you have? [/qb]
When you go to high school, each course you complete counts as a credit (with a few exceptions).

And what about classes I failed and went to summer school for? I assume those don‘t count.
I assume electives like information technology, drama etc do not count.

dude... you should worry about your credits... im pretty sure you have them. If you dont, you must be riding the short bus to school

I just want to know if electives and failed courses that I made up for in summer school count as credits.

My high school starts in Grade 8 which means at the present time I have over 15 credits... Unless Grade 8 doesnt count.

You should probably ask your teacher. I always thought the high school credit system was an easy concept... I guess its not. :rolleyes:

Highschool in grade 8? What province is that? Newfoundland? Kidding. Summerschool counts as credits. You go there to make up credits not gained due to failure. You pass a course you get a credit. You don‘t pass, you go to summer school to get that credit. Easy as cake and a piece of pie.

Originally posted by Fusaki:
[qb] You should probably ask your teacher. I always thought the high school credit system was an easy concept... I guess its not. :rolleyes: [/qb]
I understood it a few posts ago and then just realized I have Grade 8 in High School whereas most other places don‘t.

i have grade 8 in highschool as well...lol, same island...anyways, each coarse you get that is a full semmester long should be four credits. Term coarses are two. So if you finish first sememster, you should have 16 grade 10 credits. Go talk to your school‘s career councillor in the career centre or whatever you have in your school and ask them to confirm, cuz i dont know how it works in your school district, and get them to make you a set of transcripts.
i‘m assuming you will apply to A coy. Canadian Scottish Regiment? Bay Street Armouries. Don‘t bother with the CFRC untill CSCOTR sends you there.

:)

Hey Aquilus you got MSN or something? Since you‘re a fellow VIslander I guess you could adress my questions a little better.

Hi,
I have been thinking of applying to become a Canadian soldier for the last few months. I am specificly interested in the infantry. By the time the process is complete I will be twenty eight. Does anyone know what the average age for a new non-commissioned recruit is? I would greatly appreciate any info on this subject.
Thanks

Well, they are letting them in now at age 16!! But not to worry, I was 17 when I joined, and was on course with people from age 17 to 35. But I would say the average age (Res anyway) would be late teens.

Back