• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
Yeahman90 said:
Hey, I was just wondering is this a good idea? Like nothing else out there in the world really interests me that much but joining the CF Army,  and I found out that you can join at 17 years with parental/guardian's consent and I want to join full time not on the reserves.

Well if anyone out there has some info for me email me or post up
I do know for sure by the time im 17 i will be probably be a pretty big guy as I am going to start runnning every day and working out constantly eating right nutrition starting next Wednesday when school ends.

Thanks.

My advice is simple, don't quit high school, try on the Militia for size, finish your Gr 12, and then you can have the world by the balls.

OWDU

I agreed 110% with OWDU.

I almost did the exact same thing, except, when I walked into the CFRC to sign up for the Regs at 17 (I had horrible Math and English marks and didn't think I was going to get anywhere in life) and - I know it's not the Recruiters business nor is it his job - he whispered to me: "Go to school, finish out strong, get your Diploma, you'll thank me later." The first time he said it, I said "Nah, this is my life, I'm signing up." and he replies "No. I will refuse to hand you any more paperwork unless you've graduated High School with a diploma." So instead, I signed up for the Reserves, stuck out through High School, got honours-level marks in all my classes in Grade 12; and with diploma in hand... and I'm still in the Reserves. Why? Because I realized now that I can actually do something better for myself and I'm now halfway through my Bachelor of Arts Degree, majoring in Criminology; where I will use my PRes training to get me that extra foot in the door (plus a nice shiny degree) and I will be apply for the RCMP. Sure the Regs are still dear to my heart, however (even though she would have supported me to the fullest if I was a Reg) I decided that I'd be nice to the fiancee  ;)

After 4 years, your annual salary is something like $75 000 (gross). That's a much bigger paycheque than I ever imagined.

School pays off eventually.

But that's just my story.

Thanks BB, I'll sum up by saying when I was 16, I thought I knew it all, and I was wrong. At 17 with the mininum HS enterance into the CF, all it takes is an injury, or a realisation that one is not suited for the job, and you're condemmed to making mininum wage for the rest of your life, and just another highschool dropout trying to make ends meet.

Yes an education does not mean much at 16, but when you're 40 and a security guard at mininum wage on a crap night shift in the cold and snow at some housing development, you'll wish you got that Gr 12. At least with that one can make decisions which later on in life can mean a decent future, and opens a gateway to further education.

Good on ya as things worked out for you, and now you got that world by the balls. Things worked out for me too  :nod:

Cheers from the tropics,

OWDU

Yeahman90 said:
Well all and all it is my decision what I want to do right? Like if this is my life choice and my heart is truely towards it, no one can change the decision I make am I right?

Sure - but then why did you ask us for advice in the first place?

Stay in school. Work hard. Get good marks.

I tell that to lots of kids, and for good reason.

Yeahman, I'm pretty much going to echo what everyone else is saying here:  STAY IN SCHOOL!

I know you're young and full of piss and vinegar and figure you know what you want, however, it still stands that even at 17, you need your parents' permission to join the Reg F.  Also, if you do some rooting around the site, you will see that Infantry (and other Combat Arms trades) are presently closed to recruiting and may be closed for quite some time.

If you finish high school with good marks, perhaps do some volunteering, get a part-time job or join the Reserves, you will make your application that much more competitive when you do apply (or do a Component Transfer) to the Reg F.

I'll echo BulletMagnet, although I had finished high school a few years before I joined, when I changed trades, I still had to go take courses to "upgrade" my education.  Look at the recruiting website, not only at Infantry, but at other trades you might be interested in and see what the education requirements are.  It can't hurt to get those courses as it might save you time and heartache in the future.

Good luck!

I am not a member yet but i know that there are VERY few people in this world who regretted not graduating from highschool, but i dont know one person who regretted sticking it out and getting a diploma.  Everyone who has posted here is right its great to have goals but in the modern world nobody gets very far without that piece of paper. 

youve worked hard for most of your life towards that diploma....besidesCombat arms are closed and wont open up again till at least april 2011(so recruiters tell me anyway) so by that time you will be done.

STAY IN SCHOOL

The one thing I may discourage is the Reserves and it is something I see suggested quite a bit before joining the Regs.  A CT can be a pain in the ass process, unless they have streamlined it the past while.  If you change your mind later on before making a commitment to the reserves, and in 10 years or so want to give the military life a try, recovering your archived previous service records can make for quite a delay in the handling your file. 

I was the same way, 16, knew I want a military life, joined the Reserves until graduation.  My CT wasn't being processed, parents wanted me out of the house, and no employment opportunities in the local area.  Couldn't very well live off of $52.04/day (wages for a militia private back in 1996) when you only had 1 day per week, and one weekend per month.  I had to leave the military for a number of years to pursue livable wages.  Re-enlisted a few years back, with an education under my belt, and plenty of work experience, and haven't really ever looked back other then to offer words of advice to others.

I will agree with the staying in school until graduation bit though.  Or if you want to make your prospects better, join the reserves and attain a degree from a post-secondary institution (emphasis on the degree).  You will find it easier to pursue extra education in the Reserves than you would in the Regs.

Let me add my voice to those who suggest -- urge -- finishing high school, for the same reasons noted by others.  More than a few people have joined up, full of enthusiasm and with an unshakable belief that they would make the Forces their life's work, only to get a few weeks into Basic and decide they can't carry on, get injured, etc.

Try the reserves.  You can do that alongside school.  You can get out if you discover it's not for you, and if you like it you can carry on as a reservist on top of a civilian career or make the jump to the regular force.

Give yourself options, rather than hemming yourself into one single path that might very well not work out for you.

I don't want to get into the nitty gritty here as to why you don't want to foregoe your opportunity to pursue an education. Hell why do you think the CF has so many options to educate the people they want in uniform?

I'll tell you now - you're cooked if you just have a grade 12 BUT if your marks are there you can at least apply for further schooling. Grade 12 will not see you surpass minimum wage it will just barely get you there.  You know why? Because there's double degreed and mastered  bi and tri lingual applicants out there. And they aren't mixingc up fraps at Starbucks because they worked on developing a cheaper genetically modified coffee bean and they want first hand street level feed back on their life's work.

They are there because they have bills to pay. Like the single mom who was forced out of school to raise her child, or the father to support that small new family. What do you think they would tell you ?

Your first mistake was thinking you didn't need it. Your second mistake is thinking someone with more time in college/university/professional working career than you have had to wear deodorant for wouldn't be up against you for a combat arms positions.  As PMedMoe hit on.

Kurt Warner is a superbowl champion- but he bagged groceries because he only knew football and had a family to support.
Mike Tyson could have knocked anyone out. He is working on a line of self help books to climb out of brankruptcy.
And most tragic...Mr T has sold his haircut to a level 60 Goblin with Tier 3 Epic Armour in World of Warcraft ... Stay in school.

Then again bill gates did alright. But in all serious I am not trying to sound like a dickhead and patronize you. You'll do what you want, work hard I am sure.and make an excellent soldier. I think we are all just hitting on the fact you're safer than sorry, education is an insurance plan for you and your life just incase the dreams don't pan out. It's not like education makes life easy - maybe just easier enough. I'm only 25 and telling you this !  Should say something haha

Yeahman90 said:
Well all and all it is my decision what I want to do right? Like if this is my life choice and my heart is truely towards it, no one can change the decision I make am I right?

You're asking everyone for advice. They are taking the time to give it to you and you're turning around and ignoring it.
Everyone here was 16 at one point in their life. We know what it's like "to have everything figured out".
I have about 2 dozen names of kids like you who signed up and are quitting. How many of them do you think wrote in their autobiographies that joining the military was their life choice?
It's great that you're set on joining the army. Now here's lesson 1. Listen to the people who have been in the army longer than you've been alive.
You getting all this advice and waving your hand at it makes you low on the desirable list.

ArmyVern said:
1st Point: Stay in school!! At least until you graduate from High School. Please.

2nd Point: Alea's links are good - give them a gander. Yes, you have to join a "trade". Infantry, Artillery, Armoured etc are all CF "trades".

3rd Point: Stay in school!! At least until you graduate from High School. Please.

Hi Yeahman,

ArmyVern is 100% right!
I did not realize that your goal was to "skip" grade 12 and join the army... is it really your goal? Do you have in mind to not get your highschool diploma?
If this is really what you meant, then I strongly suggest, along with everyone else, that you complete high school before joining. This will be the most important decision that you'll make for your future and no one can make this decision in your place.

Why not join the reserve while you finish your school years? 
By all means, this year will allow you to start your enrollment process, get in shape, choose a trade that you'll like (with more options because of the diploma) and by the time you finish school, there might be some openings in infantry (which is closed right now and from what I understand will not be opened again for a while).
So if you drop out of school and the enrollment process takes one year or more (a lot of people on this forum have been waiting for a long time, including myself) what would you do anyways during that year? Stay home? Waiting for a call from the recruitment center?
Knowing all that, don't you think it would be best for you that you complete your diploma while the process gets on?

Read all the other links provided to you by other members of the forum and take the time to make the right decision for yourself.
I'm sure you will ;)

Alea

Ignore the advice people are giving you. You're right.
Quit school as soon as possible to get into the military.

Here's why:
It may not work out for you, or it may initially but you won't have the education to remuster to something else. That means you'll be back as a civie.

Now, I'm sure you've heard that the current generation has this "sense of entitlement" -- they don't want a job; they want the job  blah blah blah  Grown-ups  ::)

But that teenage mindset is leaving a lot of low-end jobs unfilled. I mean, someone has to clean tables and do the dishes after we employed people have eaten at the restaurant. By quitting school in a rush to joint the military, you are setting the conditions to be one of those people our society needs.

I, for one, thank you.

Now, get out there and be a quitter!

do i detect a note of sarcasm???? love it hopefully the original poster appreciates it as well :nod: ;) :cdn:

OK, so there is no doubt....
The post above was mockery. I too am saying "stay in school."

You cannot possibly say "I'm quitting school, but there's no way I'll quit the army." If you can't tough out an extra year or two of school you are very unlikely to succeed in the military.

There is plenty of time to find that the CF in general, and the infantry in particular, is more difficult than anything else you've done in your life.

And yes, that includes trying to undo Betty-Lou Who's bra with one hand  :nod: 

you can do that with one hand?................Wizard!!  ;D

did you meet betty-lou in high school or the CF....if you met her in high school thats all the more reason to stay in school ;D

I dropped out of high school after grade 11 and joined the military at 17. I'm a lot better off than quite a number of people I was going through High School with. Even after you join you can earn your (G)ood (E)nough (D)iploma or take university level distance education courses if that's what you're looking to do. I don't know what the long term implications are, but short term everything has worked out for the best so far. However if you end up joining and decide you don't like what you're doing, not having your diploma will be a small obstacle you may have to overcome.

You just better be sure you have a plan, and you're going to stick it through once you sign up.

Based on the advice of others here....
HeadLamp said:
.... if you end up joining and decide you don't like what you're doing, not having your diploma will be a small significant obstacle you may will have to overcome if you want to do better than minimum wage ....
....fixed that for you.

Yes because there's definately not guys out there doing physical labour work with no education requirements making close to or over 6 figures a year, I have to stop making imaginary friends.

It's been a while since I've heard all the blithering about how it's impossible to be successful in life unless you graduate high school. I'm not saying it's an easy route to take, or even the best. I just find it funny that it has been eliminated as an option completely in some people's minds.

Back