• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

after BOTC

klee519

Inactive
Reaction score
I am going to take my BOTC the end of Aug. I am wondering what rank I am going to be after this course or phase1? and how many more phase i need to accomplish?
I am with Signal

Depends on your entry plan I think.  If I understand correctly, if you're CEOTP you will remain an OCdt until your MOC is finished.

Neilio said:
Depends on your entry plan I think.  If I understand correctly, if you're CEOTP you will remain an OCdt until your MOC is finished.

that would appear up for debate actually. Recent applicants have received offers stating they would be commissioned after BOTP, and the Adm(Mil) Pers instruction states that commission for CEOTP follows Basic Officer Training.

I would dare to say it depends on your army job. I don't know how long MOC training lasts for all the other jobs, but the MARS officer training is BOTC, then second language training (if needed) then NOTC for 12 months and then about 24 months ship side OJT to get a "Bridge Watchkeeping Certificate and Naval Officer Professional Qualification." Which means if we stick to those ground rules it would take between 3-4 years for a CEOTP MARS officer to be promoted above OCdt...(all this of course according to whats written in the recruiting website and what the recruiters are saying).

Does that make any sense to anyone? I think the best way to get this info is wait and see for yourself. If anyone has gone through BOTC in related jobs maybe a filler guideline would help the rest of us? Thanks.

JLeclerc said:
I would dare to say it depends on your army job. I don't know how long MOC training lasts for all the other jobs, but the MARS officer training is BOTC, then second language training (if needed) then NOTC for 12 months and then about 24 months ship side OJT to get a "Bridge Watchkeeping Certificate and Naval Officer Professional Qualification." Which means if we stick to those ground rules it would take between 3-4 years for a CEOTP MARS officer to be promoted above OCdt...(all this of course according to whats written in the recruiting website and what the recruiters are saying).

Does that make any sense to anyone? I think the best way to get this info is wait and see for yourself. If anyone has gone through BOTC in related jobs maybe a filler guideline would help the rest of us? Thanks.

As I said above, there are others here who have recently received CEOTP offers which clearly state commissioning after BOTP, not MOC training.
As well, the Instruction, http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/engraph/0905_admhrmil_e.asp states: 

All candidates enrolled in the CEOTP shall hold the rank of OCdt/NCdt until completion of basic officer training, unless initially granted higher rank, Incentive Pay Category, or Time Counting for Promotion in recognition of previous service or training.

I've been looking for this document for a few days. Awesome thanks!  ;D

EDIT: Concerning my problem, is still waiting to figure out if I will "initially be granted higher rank, Incentive Pay Category, or Time Counting for Promotion in recognition of my previous service in the reg. force" which throws another level in this process.

NP... keep in mind, on a buddies BOTP course, it would appear some CEOTPs got letters stating they would be promoted following BOTP, and some got letters stating it would follow MOC.

So who knows.  I'm going to assume I know nothing until I have it in writing.

It will say on the offer message you accepted. For me as a CEOTP candidate, I will be commissioned 2Lt upon completion of BOTP. Then promoted to Lt. after my MOC training.

I'm going Aug 27 for my IAP/BOTC and am doing DEO entry plan for Armour. The way it was explained to me, I am promoted to 2nd Lieutenant after graduation of the BOTC portion and then am promoted to Lieutenant upon completion of Phase 4.

MatthewHopkins said:
I'm going Aug 27 for my IAP/BOTC and am doing DEO entry plan for Armour. The way it was explained to me, I am promoted to 2nd Lieutenant after graduation of the BOTC portion and then am promoted to Lieutenant upon completion of Phase 4.

Yes, all DEOs are commissioned following BOTP.
Unless they changed the names again, the term "BOTC" doesn't exist within the military anymore.  It is now the equivalent of IAP and BOTP.  Graduating BOTP entitles DEO officers to a commission.

According to HR (Mil), CEOTP should be commissioned following "Basic Officer Training", which seems somewhat vague but has always been explained to me as equating to end BOTP.  In the past, some CEOTPs have been comissioned following MOC training, and not BOTP, while others after BOTP. 

You're right, actually. They have changed it from Basic Officer Training Course to Basic Officer Training Period which takes place after IAP (Initial Assessment Phase). I thought it was still under the old name but checked the site to see otherwise. http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/peeo_e.asp

JLeclerc said:

Maes trg is not part of the BOTP, The MARS Phases are just that Phases,     

(Navy specific)
Phase 1 - IAP/BOTC (BMOQ)
Phase 2 - NEOTP
Phase 3 - MARS PH 3
Phase 4 - MARS PH 4
The remainder (NOPQ, CofC, BWK,) Are all OJT and board based quals not relating to OGS and promotion to the Rank of Slt

Army Generic
Phase 1 - BMOQ
Phase 2 - CAP
Phase 3 - DP1 part 1
Phase 4 - DP1 Part 2
Jr Officers Crse, ATOC, AOC and the like are not part of the phases

(note PH 3 and 4 are likely different for each CBT Arms trade, the above example is based on Arty)
So not to worry, MARS types are not OCdt's for years and years, perhaps if Halfmylife is around somewhere he can answer he should be just finishing BOTC right about now and headed back to Venture for Phase.

Back