• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afstan: Are the UK military seeing things we are not?

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
This story in The Observer gives one furiously to think if accurate (but note the general bias of the paper) (usual copyright fail dealing disclaimer):

Failure in Afghanistan risks rise in terror, say generals
Military chiefs warn No.10 that defeat could lead to change of regime in Pakistan

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2126706,00.html

Britain's most senior generals have issued a blunt warning to Downing Street that the military campaign in Afghanistan is facing a catastrophic failure, a development that could lead to an Islamist government seizing power in neighbouring Pakistan.

Amid fears that London and Washington are taking their eye off Afghanistan as they grapple with Iraq, the generals have told Number 10 that the collapse of the government in Afghanistan, headed by Hamid Karzai, would present a grave threat to the security of Britain.

Lord Inge, the former chief of the defence staff, highlighted their fears in public last week when he warned of a 'strategic failure' in Afghanistan. The Observer understands that Inge was speaking with the direct authority of the general staff when he made an intervention in a House of Lords debate.

'The situation in Afghanistan is much worse than many people recognise,' Inge told peers. 'We need to face up to that issue, the consequence of strategic failure in Afghanistan and what that would mean for Nato... We need to recognise that the situation - in my view, and I have recently been in Afghanistan - is much, much more serious than people want to recognise.'

Inge's remarks reflect the fears of serving generals that the government is so overwhelmed by Iraq that it is in danger of losing sight of the threat of failure in Afghanistan. One source, who is familiar with the fears of the senior officers, told The Observer: 'If you talk privately to the generals they are very very worried. You heard it in Inge's speech. Inge said we are failing and remember Inge speaks for the generals.'..

Mark
Ottawa

Great find. They`re speaking with a long look back through their corporate history.

Us? Somebody better get out in front of this parade and lead it.

That sounds similar to one of the recent posts from Ruxted - fate of NATO if Afghanistan is lost, wider repercussions to global security.  I hope that this is a view that gains more acceptance so people will finally realize how important this is - but why is it then, that so many Canadians can't see the relevance in the mission?

Out here on the left coast there seems to be an awful lot of people who just can't imagine that something that happens on the other side of the globe could affect us.  Outside the military community I see so many people who just don't get it.  Actually, inside the military there are a few too, but that's a different topic.

I always tell them that I'm a pacifist...as soon as the military isn't required, I'll be the first to take off the uniform.  Until then, though, someone's got to do it.  Pacifist with a mean streak, I guess.

When the natives in Canada respect policing their own reserves...only then can we claim to be proficient at developing other nations. Since we can't do it in our own country...we need a military in ours... and they need a military in theirs, because their natives have the same level of respect for their police force as ours do.
Until then...I'd die for Canada to help Afghanistan! :salute:

Back