• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afraid to offend Muslims - is it going to come here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Passport photo of girl, 5, banned 'in case it offends Muslims'
14:55pm 14th August 2006  The Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=400528&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

A five-year-old girl's passport application was rejected because it shows her bare shoulders and might offend Muslims.

Hannah Edwards's mother Jane, a Sheffield GP, was told that her daughter's exposed skin may be considered offensive in a Muslim country.

The photograph was taken in a booth at a local post office for a family trip to the south of France.

However, when the family presented it at the post office with the completed form, they were told it would not be accepted by the Passport Office.

Mrs Edwards said she was furious when a woman behind the counter said she was aware of at least two other applications that had been rejected because a person's shoulders were not covered.
More on link

that is almost the stupidest, weakest, most pathetic pile of steaming dog vomit I have ever heard.

When have Muslim values ever affected North American Values........Its time to wake up and realize you cannot keep everyone happy all of the time.  If they don't like it, tough.  As for the mail offices......if they're that concerned about it, move overseas.

bert031 said:
When have Muslim values ever affected North American Values........

Well, they're holding pro Hezbollah/anti Semitic marches in Toronto and Montreal, where you can watch a good ole' flag burning / down with Israel chanting/ maybe some pictures of assult rifles toting high in the air/ hippies and peace knicks being chased away by angry Arab Canadians........you know ....the same stuff you see over there. And no one has the balls to say something about it....or even arrest the offenders....because children , that's racism. We have to tolerate and accept their culture, and their way of doing things. Ya think I'd be able to walk down Yonge St. with a large placard depicting Hitler and Nazi symbols. Probably not children....because that's being racist, as well as a hate crime. (okay...a little extreme, but you get the idea.)

Guys, it is a "sensational" news article about a petty bureaucrat self imposing their own interpretation of passport regulations. It is not official UK government policy and it is hardly the downfall of western civilization. 

Well, they're holding pro Hezbollah/anti Semitic marches in Toronto and Montreal,

Last time I checked, we live in a free country and our citizens have the freedom to assemble and have their voices heard.

Gunner said:
Guys, it is a "sensational" news article about a petty bureaucrat self imposing their own interpretation of passport regulations. It is not official UK government policy and it is hardly the downfall of western civilization. 
hence the "almost". The idea that anyone would push their personal agenda, using some inflated sense of authority is disgusting. So is dog vomit. Having had to clean up two puddles last night, I can verify from recent experience  ::)

Last time I checked, we live in a free country and our citizens have the freedom to assemble and have their voices heard.
but is not support of a declared terrorist organization illegal? I'm seriously asking because I don't know where the law comes into effect with it. Also, is not supporting an organization calling for the extermination of a race against our hate crimes laws?

Guys, I posted this because it was interesting and potentially controversial....but remember...this took place in France, not here!!

paracowboy said:
is not support of a declared terrorist organization illegal? I'm seriously asking because I don't know where the law comes into effect with it. Also, is not supporting an organization calling for the extermination of a race against our hate crimes laws?

As long as the terrorists kill white folks, they're fine.

Well as a converted Muslim I am offended by these photo’s and demand that you placate my anger with offerings of beer and some ham sandwiches.  ;D

When  people ask what my “Muslim name” is, I reply: “Colin no Bin Prayin”  8)

When they tell me that I should change my name, I ask them if Muhammad is a Muslim name, they always say yes, then I ask them was Muhammad born Muslim? The answer of course is no and therefore how can Muhammad be Muslim name when it clearly predates the birth of the religion. Ah, I love religion and religious types, it’s sort of like shooting ducks in a barrel.

paracowboy said:
but is not support of a declared terrorist organization illegal? I'm seriously asking because I don't know where the law comes into effect with it.

Voicing support for a terrorist organization isn't illegal.  Distasteful (to say the least) but not illegal.

Also, is not supporting an organization calling for the extermination of a race against our hate crimes laws?

Are Canadian supporters of Hizbollah stating publically in Canada that "all Jews must die"?  If someone knows of someone who has stated this, lodge a complaint with the Montreal police.

Interesting opinions.  I guess that's allowed since everybody in the world doesn't drink Tim Horten's. ::)

When they tell me that I should change my name, I ask them if Muhammad is a Muslim name, they always say yes, then I ask them was Muhammad born Muslim? The answer of course is no and therefore how can Muhammad be Muslim name when it clearly predates the birth of the religion. Ah, I love religion and religious types, it’s sort of like shooting ducks in a barrel.

You may want to change your reasoning/rationale as the name Mohammed (praised one) came after he was visited by the angel Gabriel.  Hence, it came after the creation of Islam's teachings.  Or you may want to find some educated religious types...

ab9321 said:
Interesting opinions.  I guess that's allowed since everybody in the world doesn't drink Tim Horten's.
You want to clarify? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Gunner said:
Voicing support for a terrorist organization isn't illegal.  Distasteful (to say the least) but not illegal.
thanks for clarifying. As for reporting to the Montreal Police, it wouldn't do much good since it was on a sign in a rally "somewhere in Montreal", held by "some guy I saw on TV". I don't think it would be enough for them to act on.

ab9321 said:
Interesting opinions.  I guess that's allowed since everybody in the world doesn't drink Tim Horten's. ::)

hrm.. found our first troll of the day.

ab9321 said:

Support Hezbollah....fine....support the terrorists....fine....

Bad-mouthing Tim's....that's downright treasonous!

On the serious note, I can understand not trying to aggravate certain people of certain descent....but the passport picture thing is ridiculous. Next thing you know, that post office worker won't be accepting pictures of women for passports unless they have a head-covering.

People are stupid.

From the replies, you obviously don't see irony in a thread titled "Afraid to offend Muslims - is it going to come here? "  And no, not everyone in the world drinks Tim Horten's, eh?  ::)

Trinity, I've read some of your posts.  For a person of faith you can be pretty cruel at times.

ab9321 said:
Trinity, I've read some of your posts.  For a person of faith you can be pretty cruel at times.

That's your opinion and you have every right to it. 

Too bad you don't see what I really do... Who I help in real life and how many times
people have ... in these forums alone come to me for advice and help on numerous things
and the help that I provide.. just because I can.

So before you go judging me on the surface.. how about you actually ASK some people
around here instead of trying to fire off some 2 bit comment. 

So I have an occasional off or sarcastic post.  I don't really care if you like it or not.
I didn't know people of faith couldn't have fun?  Or are you imposing your own values
and making judgements on people who have faith?  Sigh..

I don't know about you.. but I'll have 10 people defending me in this post in the next 3 hours.
How about you?

And when you see that... that's a sign of my real personality..  well loved and supported,
not your skewed cheap comment.

Trinity,

Coming from a Padre, you shouldn't be making two-bit comments about other religions or sarcastic comments about anyone's else's posts here.  Am I wrong or what?

ab9321 said:
From the replies, you obviously don't see irony in a thread titled "Afraid to offend Muslims - is it going to come here? "  And no, not everyone in the world drinks Tim Horten's, eh?
sorry, you're far too intelligent for me, I'm afraid. I still have no idea what you're trying to communicate. How about just saying it, outright? Edify dumb ol' me.

ab9321 said:
Trinity,

Coming from a Padre, you shouldn't be making two-bit comments about other religions or sarcastic comments about anyone's else's posts here.  Am I wrong or what?
yeah, you're wrong. Padres are (maybe you oughta sit down) people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back