• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghanistan: Why we should be there (or not), how to conduct the mission (or not) & when to leave

1) Obama plays for time:

Obama: No plans for additional troop increase in Afghanistan
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/16/obama.harper.afghanistan/

There are no immediate plans to commit more U.S. troops to the ongoing war in Afghanistan, President Obama said Wednesday.

Speaking to reporters alongside Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Obama said he would consult with U.S. allies before determining a strategy in Afghanistan after last month's elections there.

"I'm going to take a very deliberate process in making those decisions," Obama said. "There is no immediate decision pending on resources, because one of the things that I'm absolutely clear about is you have to get the strategy right and then make a determination about resources."

The United States has about 62,000 U.S. troops in the country, and NATO allies -- including Canada -- have another 35,000. The Pentagon is planning to add 6,000 troops by the end of the year.

There have been indications that Obama soon could be asked to commit even more American troops. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, however, has signaled he would like to gauge the impact of the 6,000-troop increase before considering whether to send more.

Support in the United States for the war in Afghanistan has dipped to an all-time low. Just 39 percent of Americans favor the war, while 58 percent oppose it, according to a national CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Tuesday...

Obama thanked Harper for his country's commitment to Afghanistan, where more than 2,800 Canadian troops and dozens of civilians are stationed.

"They have fought; they have had staying power; they have absorbed losses that we all grieve for," he said...

Harper said Wednesday that "Canada is not leaving Afghanistan" but is "transitioning from a predominately military mission to a mission that will be a civilian humanitarian mission after 2011."..

Is our prime minister playing for time too (see end here)
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/spector-vision/harpers-us-problem/article1289467/
and is it running out?
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/09/afstan-mission-planning-gotcha.html

2) Marines to Helmand a mistake (no mention of CF at Kandahar or Brits at Helmand)?

The Afghanistan Problem: Why Are We in Helmand?
The military's strategy in Afghanistan has been misguided from the start — but it may be too late for Plan B.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1924324,00.html

...not all of the 21,000 additional forces that President Obama authorized for Afghanistan last winter have even arrived in the country yet...the battle plan those troops were asked to execute was devised primarily by General David McKiernan, who was replaced about the time the troops started arriving. McKiernan's plan reflected his experience in conventional warfare: he chose to deploy the troops where the bad guys were — largely in Helmand province on the Pakistani border, home of nearly 60% of the world's opium crop, a place that was firmly in Taliban control. But pursuing conventional warfare in Afghanistan is about as effective as using a football in a tennis match. The Army's new counterinsurgency doctrine says you go where the people are concentrated and protect them, then gradually move into the sectors the bad guys control. That is not what we're doing in Afghanistan. In addition to all the other problems we're facing — the corruption of the Karzai government, the election chaos, the porous Pakistani border — it has become apparent that we're pursuing the wrong military strategy in this frustrating war...

...The additional troops were needed immediately to blunt the momentum of the Taliban and also to provide security for the Afghan elections. The trouble was, the troops would have been better deployed in Helmand's neighbor to the east — Kandahar province, especially in Kandahar city and its suburbs. "Kandahar is the center of gravity in this insurgency," says John Nagl, a retired lieutenant colonel who helped write the Army's counterinsurgency doctrine. "It is as important now as Fallujah was in Iraq in 2004."..

...the troops who should be securing Kandahar are fighting an elusive enemy in Helmand.

What can be done now? The military will want more troops to paper over its strategic mistake. It will resist any suggestion to leave Helmand and redeploy to Kandahar. "That would be a death sentence for all the people in Helmand who have supported us," a military expert told me...

The Kandahar screwup adds considerable pressure to Obama's decision about whether to double-down on a war he has called crucial to America's national security. The military wants a decision soon, but both the President and the Secretary of Defense are undecided — as they should be...

The troops at Helmand are Marines.  I'm not sure they could have been deployed to Kandahar this spring. A US Army combat aviation brigade (ordered deployed under President Bush) was arriving at KAF around the time the Marines were coming to Helmand. At that time there certainly would not have been the facilities at Kandahar to accomodate both the 8,000 new Marines (who have their own aviation) and the Army aviation brigade. I wonder if the Marines alone would not have been too much at that time. And should the aviation brigade been deployed to Helmand instead of KAF? Moreover some 2,000 Marines were already operating in Helmand and it may have seemed most logical to reinforce them. Logistics are important. And very early this year, when the Marine deployment plans were being set, Kandahar may not have seemed to be in too bad a situation. The matter is more complicated than the story suggests.

Lots of related links at the Torch post:
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/09/afstan-obama-plays-for-timehelmand.html

Update: More Teutonic gloom an doom:

'The Day Afghanistan Was Lost'
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,649640,00.html

This week EU observers announced that at least a quarter of the votes cast in Afghanistan's presidential election were suspect. Just like the incumbent Afghan president, German commentators are seeking solutions. But they are also filled with foreboding about the troubled nation's future...

Mark
Ottawa

I missed this earlier in the week because the key phrase was at the bottom of the story:
Harper made it clear in Washington that the country is not walking away from its commitment: "Canada is not leaving Afghanistan; Canada will be transitioning from a predominantly military mission to a mission that will be a civilian humanitarian development mission after 2011."

He said "that transition's already in place."

Glad to see at least a bit of clarity.

E.R. Campbell said:
Equally we (same folks) have people who can do targeted assassinations all over the world – close up and quietly or remotely. Killing al Qaeda members, not just leaders, is a good way to slow the movement down. Now, targeted assassinations are also something that might stretch our "public" moral code so that, too, needs to be SECRET.
Targeted assassinations have proven to be effective to a certain extent in the past (I think Mossad still probably leads the body count above all others)  I suppose my morals are a bit skewed but I'd be more than proud to have CSIS members put two bullets in the back of the head of someone with a silenced pistol before he/she blows innocent people up.

Neolithium said:
Targeted assassinations have proven to be effective to a certain extent in the past (I think Mossad still probably leads the body count above all others)  I suppose my morals are a bit skewed but I'd be more than proud to have CSIS members put two bullets in the back of the head of someone with a silenced pistol before he/she blows innocent people up.

Methinks you know little to nothing of the CSIS mandate or its personnel.

And given the ones I do know, the result would more likely be two rounds to the front of their foot...

dapaterson said:
And given the ones I do know, the result would more likely be two rounds to the front of their foot...
The post I was replying to was dealing with hypothetical changes, which would also have to include a change of the CSIS mandate.  Of course we could always just place an order with Israel and send a list to Mossad.  Their mandate is happy to accomodate it, and from what I understand they have a rather broad definition of what they consider a threat to the security of their nation.

Another notable article:

Afghanistan: Why Efforts to Disarm the Taliban Have Failed
Time.com

By TIM MCGIRK / KABUL Tim Mcgirk / Kabul – 39 mins ago

Why has it been nearly impossible to coax Taliban fighters into turning in their weapons and cooperating with the Afghan government? The story of Mullah A stands as an all-too-common example.

A few years back, the Taliban commander thought his personal war with the Americans was over when he surrendered his Toyota Land Cruiser, a stack of rocket-propelled grenades and his personal weapons to the police chief in Kandahar. Mullah A, who prefers not to be identified, was exhausted. In late 2001, when U.S.-backed forces were pushing into northern Afghanistan, the commander saw most of his men wiped out by heavy American bombardment. He was one of the few survivors, and he fled south, back home to Kandahar, convinced that his fighting days had come to an end.

As part of the surrender, Kandahar's police chief gave Mullah A a letter of protection. But the would-be ex-guerrilla fighter soon realized the paper was worthless. Like so many other Taliban who tried to lay down arms, the commander had a complex history, interwoven with tribal rivalries and greed. The CIA was offering $100,000 for the return of Stinger antiaircraft missiles, and the local intelligence chief, who belongs to the enemy Achakzai tribe (allied to President Hamid Karzai's Popalzai tribe), was convinced that he could make good money if he shook down Mullah A to see if he was holding back a few Stingers. "I told him I didn't have any," Mullah A informed TIME by telephone. That resulted, the Taliban commander alleges, in the Achakzai intelligence chief arresting and torturing Mullah A's brother and cousin. "My cousin was strangled to death," the commander says.

Out of rage and also out of fear for his own life, Mullah A rejoined the Taliban. Nowadays, he and his men ambush U.S.-led coalition targets in Helmand and Kandahar provinces, and he brags to TIME that recently his outfit blasted a dozen rocket-propelled grenades into the NATO base at Kandahar. (See pictures of U.S. Marines at war in Afghanistan's Kunar province.)

Greed. Mutual suspicion between Karzai and his Western allies. Pro-Karzai tribesmen elevated to government posts only to take revenge against their ancient rivals. These factors contribute to the catastrophic failure of attempts to wean the guerrillas away from fighting. And unless the situation changes - rapidly - it is unlikely that the next government of Afghanistan will fare any better at winning over the Taliban. Indeed, the next government will probably be led by Karzai, who will lack credibility after the pervasive claims of vote-rigging in the presidential election. Given that everyone from President Obama on down to his military commanders and Karzai now say that the Taliban cannot be defeated militarily, retooling efforts to reconcile with the Taliban may be the last chance for a durable peace in Afghanistan. (Read a story about why the Taliban is gaining ground in Afghanistan.)

Where did it go wrong? First, the U.S. and Karzai had different goals. The Afghan President wanted an amnesty extended to all Taliban, from their leader Mullah Omar down to the lowliest turbaned jihadi. "The Americans said 'No way. We don't deal with terrorists,' and they excluded the leadership," one senior Afghan official explained to TIME. One tactic that worked well in Iraq has not been used in Afghanistan. The U.S. forces in Mesopotamia were able to buy off the Sunni insurgency there by offering a monthly wage of $300 for each of 90,000 fighters. No such incentive has been offered to the Taliban.

One Western official, closely connected to efforts to reach out to the Taliban, blamed the failure squarely on President Karzai. In Kandahar and Helmand, which are now major Taliban strongholds, the official says, Karzai personally appointed many "violent and predatory" district officials and police chiefs from his own extended tribe. "When the police started robbing and pillaging," the Western official says, "the villagers had no choice but to turn to the local [Taliban] commanders for protection."

In early 2008, Karzai set up a Peace and National Reconciliation program headed by his old mentor, Sibghatullah Mojaddedi, a religious scholar and former President. The U.S. and other donors put up $3 million, but refused to contribute more after they learned that Mojaddedi, 83, spent a large chunk of the money on salaries for his family and loyal retainers. "Mojaddedi's people say they had 5,000 Taliban hand over their guns," says one angry Afghan official, "but I asked them if they had any big commanders among them, and they couldn't name a single one."

The cutoff in new Western funds to the program has crippled whatever chances the amnesty project had of coaxing in Taliban fighters. The Kandahar office says it now operates with a budget of $700 a month and has only reeled in 537 disaffected Taliban in nearly two years. "We can only offer them $20 for their weapon. They can get far more than that in the bazaar," says Kandahar director Haji Agha Lalai. "We should be able to give them a job, rent money, but we can't." This paltry offering cannot compete with the wages and benefits that a Taliban fighter collects from his commanders who, Afghan officials allege, are bankrolled by Pakistani intelligence services covertly helping the Taliban regain ground.

Many returning Taliban are also hounded by other Taliban, who see them as traitors. Their old foes too have not ceased to pursue longstanding feuds. An ex-Taliban commander, who goes by the single name of Gargari, says he has been afraid to return to his home in the northern province of Mazar-e-Sharif because he says that the warlord Mohammed Atta is threatening to kill him to settle old scores.

In Helmand, where coalition forces have encountered fierce Taliban resistance, British officials rightly concluded that many of the Taliban fighters were local tribesmen with grievances against Karzai's personally appointed officials, many of whom were shaking down villagers for bribes.In 2007, A British-led program to rehabilitate Taliban fighters and give them job training was abruptly shut down by Karzai himself, who accused the British of colluding with the Taliban. The situation is complicated by a century and a half of suspicions about Britain's colonial legacy in Afghanistan.

The few attempts by Karzai to reach out to Taliban leaders fizzled largely because the Taliban wanted a third-party to act as go-between. The President either sent his brother or a few Taliban defectors who were distrusted by their former jihadi comrades. Mullah Omar broke off talks through Saudi Arabia several months ago, saying that the Taliban would only talk with Karzai once all foreign troops had agreed to withdraw from Afghanistan. Taliban experts say that, if anything, the fraud-tainted elections have damaged Karzai's standing so badly that the Taliban and their supporters in Pakistan no longer see the need for peace talks. In other words, says Taliban commander Mullah A, "We believe we will win."

- With reporting by Shah Mahmoud Barakzai / Kabul and Muhib Habibi / Kandahar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090918/wl_time/08599192432200

Infanteer said:
I'm curious as to where the author got the hard facts for this statement, as I'm tempted to call it dishonest at best....

maybe they were taking to a clerk on the airstrip.As I remember a battle group being outside the "kandahar base" for oh...8 months or so.However it doesnt matter.no one on civi street will notice and base all their opinions on such erroneous false reporting.

Infanteer said:
I'm curious as to where the author got the hard facts for this statement, as I'm tempted to call it dishonest at best....

And it has been addressed via letters to the editor:
(....)
Troops are over the wire

Having spent the past four months photographing the front lines in Afghanistan, I was appalled to read Margaret Wente’s contention that soldiers “don’t get out much” and “no longer chase the Taliban” (The Tragedy Of Good Intentions – Sept. 17). I’ve covered numerous combat operations this summer and suggest that perhaps Ms. Wente should go “over the wire” to personally witness the mortars, rockets and machine-gun fire from the Taliban that hundreds of Canadian troops experience on a regular basis. Most of the battle group is in the field fighting the insurgency and is not in Deh-e-Bagh or at the main base.

Soldiers have contact with Afghans in the field every day. This year, medics at forward operating bases have treated more Afghan victims of violence than at any other stage of the mission.

Louie Palu, Kandahar

Margaret Wente cannot have it both ways by saying Canadian soldiers don’t get out from their base much in Afghanistan, but are continuing to suffer casualties because they are getting out.

Our troops are out, every day, helping people help themselves under challenging circumstances. They are training the Afghan army so Afghans can stand up for themselves. Our soldiers are doing so proudly, effectively and bravely.

Afghans turned out in their millions to vote and reject totalitarian dictatorship so they have already rebutted Ms. Wente’s assertion that “Afghanistan doesn’t need an elected figurehead. It needs a good, tough warlord.”

Canada continues to support the UN-sponsored, NATO-led mission to help Afghanistan rebuild into a democracy where human rights and the rule of law are respected.

Hundreds of thousands of girls are in school today because soldiers are providing the security to allow that to continue. Millions of children are inoculated against polio because our soldiers are providing security for civilians to do their valuable work.

Peter MacKay, Minister of Defence
(....)
Nice factoid this one - would have been nice to hear it earlier.

milnews.ca said:
And it has been addressed via letters to the editor:This year, medics at forward operating bases have treated more Afghan victims of violence than at any other stage of the mission.

That statement ties nicely into the best image to cross my desk this week:

633881869097780920-canadians.jpg

dapaterson said:

Their own foot.

It would be news to me if CSIS had any "Licence" let alone a "Licence to Kill".  To the best of my knowledge, they don’t have guns……….So no need for silencers.

Damn, the MSM is using this soldier's personal thoughts against the very reason he died. Granted the quote is second hand from his brother.

CTV.ca

Fallen soldier thought Afghan mission was 'useless'
Updated Fri. Sep. 18 2009 1:19 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

As Canadian soldiers assembled at a ceremony in Afghanistan to send off the flag-draped casket carrying Pte. Jonathan Couturier, a report has surfaced in Quebec saying the 23-year old tried to stay positive about the mission, but quietly considered it as futile.

About 2,500 soldiers from Canada and other NATO nations gathered on the tarmac at Kandahar Airfield on Friday, as Couturier's remains were placed in a military transport aircraft.

The Quebec soldier died Thursday morning after the vehicle he was riding in struck an IED southwest of Kandahar city. Eleven others were injured in the explosion.

The vehicle was on its way back from a village where Canadian troops planned to live alongside residents, to provide them with greater security, according to Canadian Lieut.-Col. Joe Paul.

Meanwhile, the young soldier's brother told Le Soleil newspaper in Quebec city that Couturier doubted whether the NATO-led Afghanistan mission was accomplishing much.

"That war over there, he found it a bit useless -- that they were wasting their time over there," Nicolas Couturier was quoted as saying in the paper.

Such criticism of the war is rarely heard from family members in the wake of a soldier's death in Afghanistan. Relatives almost always speak of their belief in the mission's purpose, saying their family member died for an important cause.

Couturier's sister-in-law said he voiced his criticism quietly.

"He wouldn't talk about it, he stayed positive, but at some moments he said he was fed up," Valerie Boucher said.

Those comments come as politicians have been arguing over whether Canada's Afghan mission will succeed or fail.

Liberal Sen. Colin Kenny has called it Canada's Vietnam, sparking angry reaction from military officials.

Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean, on the other hand, has said the mission is improving the lives of Afghans.

Last year, the father of another soldier who died in the central Asian country, Capt. Jonathan Snyder, called the war "stupid." He said he supported his son and the Canadian military, but that he did not support its Afghan operations.

Couturier is the 131st soldier to die in Afghanistan since Canada sent troops there in 2002.

With files from The Canadian Press

And if you want to read the latest sensationalist quote grab in the original language, here's the Le Soleil article in French (with a clunky Google English translation).

If you can't get the dirt first-hand, nothing like getting it from a relative second or third hand...  :rage:

A bit of historical advice here, here and here from a previous situation where words out of someone else's mouth were bandied about carelessly by the media.

Regarding Mr Palu's letter above (these troops are certainly outside the wire):

Combat video of Candian Army mentoring ANA and Afghan police
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/03/combat-video-of-candian-army-mentoring.html

In any event the US Army will also be outside the wire in much of the rest of Kandahar province, and also doing a great deal in the city itself. Canadians, pundits, politicians, and the public, should really wake up to the fact that success, failure, or something in between, at Kandahar are now beyond the hands of the CF. Though we can still make a significant, more concentrated and--one hopes--effective contribution as a cog in a much greater wheel.

So why the mad rush to the exits, now that the, er, cavalry has arrived?

Mark
Ottawa

Excerpts from an exceptionally cogent analysis by BruceR (returned from a tour as a Canadian Army mentor) at Flit--the whole a must-read, first part deals with the problems of operating with the ANA:

So how did it come to this?
http://www.snappingturtle.net/flit/archives/2009_09_18.html#006535

Looking back (see graph, above), one can see now mid-2005 was the inflection point.

As the graph shows quite clearly, after three years of near-quiescence, the insurgency in Afghanistan returned in strength, following the successful Western-supervised election confirming the Karzai presidency. In NATO, there was growing concern, however, that their underresourced effort to support the relegimitized government ended in practice at the outskirts of the capital, Kabul, and was having little effect beyond it. At the same time, an American military conducting its own terror-suppression, economy-of-force efforts in the South and East of the country, was eager to have Kabul's writ, and that of the International Security Assistance Force that supported the Afghan government, extended, particularly to the south of the country. In part, this has to be seen as an effort to free up some of its own resources, then desperately needed in the war in Iraq, as well. But there was also strong Afghan and international pressure to push the sphere of development beyond the capital.

The then-novel tool used by both Americans and their ISAF allies to address this issue was the Provincial Reconstruction Team, a node of military expertise emplaced in a provincial capital, and intended to develop governance and security in their immediate area with support from civilian and non-governmental agencies. PRTs were drawn from multiple nations, and often had different approaches to the task at hand. But it became clear almost immediately that, particularly in the south, the PRT as an organization would be barely capable of defending itself without help, let alone extend any kind of security umbrella to anyone else. That meant that army battalions would need to be deployed to support that work, as well. And the Afghan battalions weren't ready yet. Which meant Western battalions started pushing out to help their own PRTs. So what you saw in Helmand and Kandahar provinces, still the insurgents' battlefield of choice, was a British or Canadian battalion AND a PRT pushing out to relieve a harried U.S. battalion and taking over lead security responsibility for that province.

There was little if any discussion at this point about the road that was NOT being followed, that being only pushing development as far out as the Afghan security forces themselves could defend the "ink spot" (which to be fair, at this point would not have been very far). There were a couple reasons for this: the first being that the Afghan government itself was entirely unwilling to see Kandahar City or the Helmand Valley fall overtly under insurgent sway, which was certainly the most likely consequence of relying on their own resources at this point. The fight the Canadians and British subsequently found themselves in the south in the summer of 2006, faced with literally thousands of dedicated insurgents, showed without doubt that the insurgency, had Western battalions tried to withdraw completely from this area, easily would have overrun the country's second-largest city at that point. No, the alternative to Western forces in 2006 would have been outright insurgent control over a significant swath of the country: a full-on insurrection rather than an insurgency, in other words.

But that meant that, starting at the end of 2005 and the start of 2006, military mentoring of the Afghan army began playing a deadly game of catch-up, in the middle of what was already a medium-tempo war in much of the country: pushed out, regardless of readiness or capability, to be the "Afghan face," with the hope that "on-the-job" training and colocation with vastly more powerful and capable Western forces would enable them to correct their shortcomings. In practice, of course, it largely obscured, or exacerbated them...

The onset of a robust and active anti-government resistance, however, meant that the terms of reference of all our efforts to help Afghans had profoundly changed, and it's fair to say everyone involved was slow in seeing how much. Hindsight shows that the Afghan army and nation were now in a fight for their literal lives: a lot of the "nice-to-haves" in Afghan development that had been tolerable before 2006 probably needed to be jettisoned at this point, but there was no one in a position to make that case. For instance, substantial efforts continued to be poured into training local police forces as a criminal investigatory arm, rather than what they now would have to become in a warzone, a supportive and flexible paramilitary, whose efforts and the Afghan army's would have to be closely interconnected: hundreds of poorly armed police in shoddily defended police stations have since paid the price for those distractions with their lives...

Military advisory efforts are part and parcel of counterinsurgency, and will likely remain with us for some time. Our counterinsurgency manuals define victory as the point where the fight can be handed off to reliable indigenous forces; that implies a significant effort in their creation each time this kind of war is fought. But the experience in both Afghanistan and Iraq to date can hardly instill great confidence in anyone that the process is a simple or well-understood one...

Mark
Ottawa

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail, is an important contribution to the debate:

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090919.BLATCH19ART2228/TPStory/TPComment/
Rather than doom and gloom, let's focus on all the successes

CHRISTIE BLATCHFORD

September 19, 2009

cblatchford@globeandmail.com

All-Afghanistan, all the time: That's how this week felt to me.

From Senator Colin Kenny, writing last weekend about the mission hurtling to "a Vietnam ending" to my colleague Peggy Wente's Thursday column in which she announced that Canadian soldiers are "trapped behind the wire at the base in Kandahar" to everything in between, the week was filled with doom and gloom.

The same day Peggy's column appeared, I went to hear Chris Alexander speak at the Empire Club in downtown Toronto.

Mr. Alexander was the first Canadian ambassador to Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban, and stayed on as the deputy special representative for the United Nations there: At 41, he is an old Afghan hand. He came home to Canada only this spring, after six years in Afghanistan, and is a just-declared Conservative candidate for the party's nomination in the riding of Ajax-Pickering.

I interviewed Mr. Alexander back in 2006, on my first trip to Afghanistan, and am delighted to report that he is as frank in front of a larger audience, which included the Afghan consul-general and a former Pakistani diplomat, as he was one-on-one.

He alone gives me hope that the political leadership vacuum that exists around the Canadian mission - which has seen senior soldiers forced to defend a mission it is not their job to defend, merely carry out professionally as their government has told them to do - isn't necessary and need not be permanent.

Despite all you may have read or heard, despite the constant refrains that everything is worse there than it was, even from reporters on their first trip and certainly from those who have never set foot in the place, all is not lost.

"My own appraisal of the Canadian debate on Afghanistan," Mr. Alexander said at one point, "is that we are still more engulfed, enveloped, by the sacrifice than we are by the successes."

Too bloody true, and here we go again, consumed by the news of the 131st Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan since 2002 - Private Jonathan Couturier, 23, killed in a roadside bombing that injured a dozen others.

We in the press will faithfully cover every minute of it; as one of my smartest soldier friends once said, it's as though every soldier dies three times; in Kandahar, at the ramp ceremony; in Trenton, at the repatriation ceremony and the trip down the Highway of Heroes to Toronto; and again at his actual funeral.

The point isn't that we ought not to do this - the fallen, Pte. Couturier included, are among our country's finest, and deserve our thanks and time. Nor was that Mr. Alexander's point.

But it all now borders on a death fetish, or as Mr. Alexander put it, "the soldiers want you to know much more about the successes Afghanistan has had."

Among these, not in Kandahar, the desperate and volatile heart of the Taliban, or a few provinces, but in 32 others - road building; the reconstruction of rural institutions such that the World Bank now ranks Afghanistan as the most successful rural development program in the world, operating in 20,000 villages; the 9,000 schools (as compared with a maximum of 1,500 when the Taliban was in charge) up and running; the simple medical clinics now blanketing the countryside; regional trade flourishing and the many regional organizations to which Afghanistan now belongs.

Too, said Mr. Alexander, "We are wrong to complain there is no strategy. We do have blueprints." There is the Afghanistan National Development Strategy, written with the help of Canadians, which has charted the way forward; there is the annual stamp of approval, given every year by the UN Security Council, unanimously as Mr. Alexander pointed out, this for the UN's main effort in the world, an enormously difficult mission which involves combat.

The insurgency is worse, Mr. Alexander said, but understandably so, since it "continues to enjoy sanctuary, and financing, from the other side of the border. There hasn't yet been the military/political effort required" there, he said, adding that since 2007, "the Taliban's main effort is preserving their status of relative impunity in isolated parts of Pakistan." And only recently is Pakistan, and the rest of the world, facing this hard truth.

Canada, he said, must continue to be involved - in the peace process (now in dealings between Afghanistan and Pakistan but ultimately between Afghan institutions and the Taliban); in the massive institution-building process; "in the counterinsurgency effort, because it's the only way to provide breathing space for peace and institution-building."

As for the recent elections, yes, there was fraud, and "volumes of ink have been written about that," but "most observers have lost perspective," Mr. Alexander said. There were 5.6 million Afghans who "came in a courageous way" to vote, and Canada's own Grant Kippen, the chairman of the independent Electoral Complaints Commission, and his team will get to the bottom of it.

Debate the mission, Mr. Alexander said. Fill your boots. He did not need to add, but be informed.

As for the allegation, outrageous really, in Peggy Wente's column - that Canadian soldiers are hiding - the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Walt Natynczyk, was shocked and frustrated by it. He just got back from Afghanistan last week, where after a concert on the base, he asked for a show of Canadian hands. "Only about 1,000 went up," he snapped. "The other 1,800 were out at the FOBs [Forward Operating Bases], on patrol and living in villages. We take great pride in getting out and protecting Afghans every day," he said.

To end the all-Afghan week, let me tell you now about two events worthy of attention.

One is next month - Oct. 4 - in Sudbury, where locals will march to raise money for their Home for a Hero, the fund established by the Irish Regiment of Canada and the Retail, Department Store Union to raise enough money to build a fully accessible home for Corporal William (Billy) Kerr. Cpl. Kerr is Canada's only Afghanistan veteran triple amputee, having lost both legs and his left arm to a bomb blast on Oct. 15 last year. See the homeforahero.ca website for more information.

And tomorrow in Ottawa, other wounded soldiers will take part in the second annual Army Run.

Master Corporal Jody Mitic is one of them. The leader of an elite sniper team, he stepped on a land mine on Jan. 11, 2007, and lost both legs below the knee. In the spring of last year, he ran 5K; now he's running 21K. "I'm trying to show I'm capable of doing what I used to do," he said this week. "I really want to redeploy to Afghanistan."

A few rather random thoughts follow, based, mainly, on conversations in which I participated over the past few days here in Ottawa.

There appears to be, at the very least, a gentlemen’s agreement between the Conservatives and Liberals (and maybe the Bloc and the Dippers, too) to NOT discuss or debate Afghanistan because everyone understands that Canadians are, simply, tired of the issues, tired of the war, tired of the casualties and no one will “gain” anything by talking about it. That may be why the proposed military combat “demonstration” was cancelled.

No matter how “shocked and frustrated” Gen Natynczyk might be when “outsiders” (like most Good Grey Globe social/political columnists) make uninformed errors that reach and inform hundreds of thousands of Canadians, the official position in Ottawa is to grin and bear it. The Minister’s response (below) is all we are likely to get.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/sept-18-letters-to-the-editor/article1291919/
Margaret Wente cannot have it both ways by saying Canadian soldiers don’t get out from their base much in Afghanistan, but are continuing to suffer casualties because they are getting out.

Our troops are out, every day, helping people help themselves under challenging circumstances. They are training the Afghan army so Afghans can stand up for themselves. Our soldiers are doing so proudly, effectively and bravely.

Afghans turned out in their millions to vote and reject totalitarian dictatorship so they have already rebutted Ms. Wente’s assertion that “Afghanistan doesn’t need an elected figurehead. It needs a good, tough warlord.”

Canada continues to support the UN-sponsored, NATO-led mission to help Afghanistan rebuild into a democracy where human rights and the rule of law are respected.

Hundreds of thousands of girls are in school today because soldiers are providing the security to allow that to continue. Millions of children are inoculated against polio because our soldiers are providing security for civilians to do their valuable work.

Peter MacKay, Minister of Defence

Note that Minister MacKay did not directly counter the canard that our forces are hiding behind the wire when the reverse is clearly and demonstrably true. Canadians do not want to hear that our soldiers are more engaged with the enemy than ever. Canadians do not want a fighting army. They want blue berets and sand bags.

The real story is that Canada held, just barely, the only really important battleground in the only real war on al Qaeda while a strategically inept US establishment pissed away its resources and its global political capital on a useless “war” in Iraq. For six years we, and pretty much we alone, dashed back and forth around Kandahar province, keeping our finger in the dike. We, Canadians, “saved” NATO/ISAF’s Afghan mission, almost single handed. And we paid a price. Too high a price for too many Canadians – the overwhelming majority of whom never, really, “felt” the cost. Now that the US has, finally, brought almost enough forces – the one thing we never had because successive Liberal and Conservative and Liberal and Conservative governments destroyed and then failed, miserably, to rebuild the armed forces – to actually ‘win” rather than just hold the line, we, Canadians at large, are tired of the war and we want to “cut and run.” It is exactly the wrong time. It is like withdrawing from the Second World war just after the Normandy invasion. It is bad policy; it is government policy; it is parliament’s policy. Canadians are badly served by this parliament: all of it.

The anti-war “movement” is weak. It only exists, at all, because most of the media are, or want to imagine themselves as being  anti-establishment, even as they suckle at the establishment’s teats, and being anti-establishment means being anti-government and being anti-government means opposing e.g. Afghanistan even as the same intellectually inconsistent “journalists” support Responsibility to Protect, which is what we are doing in Kandahar. Most Canadian journalists cannot find their asses (where their brains reside) with both hands.

The Conservative government, and the Liberal opposition, are cowards and, because we are in “system” that is unable to produce stable, majority governments, they let short term political advantage trump good policy time after time after time.

Not every Canadian journalist cries mission impossible. A few, Matthew Fisher being one, tell a different, hopeful story, like this one reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Canadian+troops+armchair+critics/2011338/story.html
Canadian troops vs. armchair critics
There could not be two more differing views on what Canada is achieving in Afghanistan

By Matthew Fisher, Canwest News Service

September 19, 2009

2011339.bin

'They don't understand what we do,' says Alexandre Beaudin-D'Anjou, right, of the perception many have of the Afghanistan mission.

Sapper Alexandre Beaudin-D'Anjou, his face still bloodied and badly swollen one day after a homemade landmine had killed two of his colleagues last week, announced he would answer questions about the awful incident, but only after making a statement.

In what was an exceptional "cri de coeur" to his countrymen on the home front, the young combat engineer from Quebec City declared: "I want to say that part of the Canadian population negatively views the work that we do here, above all because they don't understand what we do. In my opinion, the majority of the Afghan population benefits from what we do.

"Sadly, there are dangers in this, as you saw in yesterday's incident. All the soldiers feel deeply that we will finish this work for one another."

With Internet access, and radio and television stations streaming news programs to their forward-operating bases and strongpoints, soldiers are acutely aware that some commentators -- with little or no knowledge of what soldiers confront in Afghanistan -- have given up on them and their mission.

Soldiers say they are more than a little bewildered by all the discussion about "wither Afghanistan" and disappointed that the Liberals and Conservatives -- who ordered them to the far side of the world -- have become so terrified about the Afghan file's potential political consequences that they have fallen silent about the current mission and what Canada may do when Parliament's current mandate expires in 2011.

There could not be two more differing views on what Canada is achieving in Afghanistan than that of the troops and of the mission's critics at home.

Unlike the U.S., where there is a robust, multi-faceted debate about Afghanistan in which senior soldiers can make their views known, all Canadian soldiers are under strict orders to remain silent about the Afghan mission's future and ways that Canada might adapt or change its mission for the better.

However, in stark contrast to the talk at home, there is confidence among Canadian troops and civilians in Kandahar that a tipping point has been reached recently in the province, with the long awaited arrival of the U.S. cavalry.

In this context, the cavalry is an infantry battalion, three Stryker light armoured battalions, a slew of military policemen and scores of helicopters from the 82nd Aviation Brigade.

Among soldiers there is confidence that Canada's task force is finally in a position to focus on what the government has always wanted them to do.

That is, to "clear, hold and build" within their area of operations which, thanks to the Americans, is now about 60 per cent smaller, and to devote more time to mentoring Afghan army and police units who must take over the fight against the Taliban. It's hoped this will deny the Taliban and al-Qaeda safe havens from which they can again use Afghanistan as a kindergarten for global terrorism.

The debate in the U.S. about Afghanistan, which has a profound spillover effect on views in Canada, is being shaped by an odd double whammy. The first was George W. Bush's colossal blunder in abandoning Afghanistan soon after 9/11 to pursue his misadventure in Iraq. The second is that because of that long war, there is little patience south of the border for the long campaign now required in Afghanistan because the former president shifted his focus from South Asia at a time when it would have not taken a great effort to stabilize the situation.

The debate about the Afghan war in Britain has been shaped by some of the same factors. But the British have also been slow to respond to problems of their own making. The decision to pretend that Afghanistan was Northern Ireland, and to roar around the desert in thin-skinned vehicles was a deadly error. So was Britain's inability to muster sufficient helicopters to fly some of their troops out of trouble.

Thanks largely to the Manley Commission, Canada's equipment shortcomings were dealt with some time ago. The G-wagons, which had become notorious fodder for improvised explosive device, were banished and more armoured vehicles were brought in. Helicopters were also provided, taking many Canadians off the roads and a U.S. infantry battalion was dispatched to help the Canadians in Zhari/Panjwaii.

Clear evidence of the high regard the Pentagon has for Canadian military leadership was Washington's unusual decision to place that infantry battalion and, more recently, some U.S. military police, under Canadian command. At the same time, and in a similar situation, U.S. Marines fighting beside the British next door in Helmand have all remained under U.S. command.

Further evidence of how well Canadian forces are thought of was provided recently by Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the American who commands the NATO force in Afghanistan, and Anders Rasmussen, the Danish NATO secretary-general. They both lauded Canada for its model village project, which is being expanded at this moment from its base in Dand District, southwest of Kandahar. It is now being copied by other armies, most notably by the Stryker battalions.

Last month's presidential election in Afghanistan has created a political debacle. However, what was obscured by credible charges of vote-buying and ballot stuffing has been the fact that, despite loud boasts by the Taliban, the Canadians and their Afghan and U.S. allies kept the lid on violence in Kandahar on election day, denying the insurgents an expected propaganda victory.

For more than three years now, some media have claimed Kandahar City was about to fall to the Taliban. In fact, the Taliban have not once mounted a serious attack to gain control of even one part of Afghanistan's second largest city. What several deadly attacks on Afghan civilians in the provincial capital have demonstrated is that suicide bombers and IEDs have become the only way for insurgents to fight.

It is impossible for the Taliban to win a war with such tactics unless the coalition countries succumb to the propaganda that such terrorist attacks generate, and fold up their tents.

Although badly battered, the Taliban remains resilient because there still is a steady stream of religious fanatics being recruited from across the border in Pakistan and wealthy donors in the Gulf continue to provide strong financial support.

Despite the Taliban's abiding strength, Kandaharis remain overwhelmingly united about two things. Thanks in part to the huge number of Taliban attacks on civilians, the general population still wants nothing to do with leader Mullah Omar and his Arab friends. What they want is for Canadian and coalition forces to stay until their own forces are strong enough to confront the insurgents.

The view of many Canadian soldiers, which they have not been allowed to express publicly, is that the war in Afghanistan is far from being lost.

There is much evidence that the Taliban is running out of room to hide and will find themselves in a dire situation if more U.S. troops are made available to cover the flanks and the routes they take to their winter sanctuaries in Afghanistan are cut off.

Beaudin-D'Anjou spoke for all the troops in South Asia when he said that those who have a negative view of their mission do not understand the many challenges that they have met and why it is of crucial importance to Kandaharis and to Canadians that they are there.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

That’s the real story by a Canadians journalist who actually goes outside the wire. Most Canadian journalists never leave Kandahar Airfield because they are on a “death watch.” The only way they are guaranteed a “lead” story is when a Canadian is killed. Most, almost all, Canadian journalists, have no interest in telling Canadians anything at all about Afghanistan (unless it is related to perceived "failures" to accomplish what we set out to do) or what Canadian soldiers are doing. They, the journalists, are in Afghanistan to get their “by line” or their voice “above the fold” or on the “lead” story.

The lead stories, above the fold, on the print edition of today’s Ottawa Citizen are:

Sex abuse and silenced exposed; and

Soldier faces court martial in death of injured Afghan.

It was an editorial decision to put the “bad news,” the news that makes the military and the mission look bad on the front page and to consign Fisher’s “good news” to the back pages an "inside" section and "below the fold." That’s how the Citizen decided to “inform” Canadians. It’s their right to do that; freedom of the press belongs to those who own the presses; but please don’t anyone offer me any BS about journalists “informing” Canadians – most journalists try to “make opinion” or to “lead” it and the opinions most of them want to make are, broadly, anti-establishment, anti-government and anti-military.

Edit: I corrected the "positioning" of the article. It is on the front page, but "below the fold" of the Saturday Observer section of the paper.

Fisher's piece was good and refreshing, but I have a minor quibble:

They both lauded Canada for its model village project, which is being expanded at this moment from its base in Dand District, southwest of Kandahar. It is now being copied by other armies, most notably by the Stryker battalions.

It isn't being copied by the Americans - they used it Iraq just as we were stumbling onto the COIN fad (although in an urban setting).  It has roots in the Marine CAP in Vietnam which was taken from British approaches in Malaysia.

Let's just not get caught in the idea that we are inventing counter-insurgency here....

Two Torch posts:

Afstan, or anti-Wente
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/09/afstan-or-anti-wente.html

Kandahar province: Endless US Army orbat fun
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/09/kandahar-province-endless-us-army-orbat.html

Mark
Ottawa

Senator Kenny on Question period today, again urging for debate on the current Afghanistan mission.
Lew McKenzie tried to offer some counter to the Senator's basic idea, which is to quit now.

So he wants debate?  Who all is he saying should deal with this? Nobody? What happens then should the West abandon Afghanistan (just as it did in the 90's)?
Critics of this mission need to look hard, real hard, at what the consequences of "giving up" really means.

This article by Kate Heartfiled in the Citizen at least tries to bring that out, as opposed to this simple "ohh war is terrible" bleating going on.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ready+quit/2002561/story.html

If there is a hush in this land as Senator Kenny suggests, perhaps its because the public trusts the opinions of soldiers enduring this mission more than those of politicians, and they've said to the public that as diffcult as this mission is we said we'd stick it out and we need to, and we will. But by 2011, we probably will not be able to do anymore  heavylifting for awhile, even the CLS has acknowledged that by then the Army will need a refit, but that by itself doesn't mean quit now, or even later. I think the public senses the truth in that, and the truth in Heartfield's statement in the article: War comes with a terrible price, but so does retreat. So maybe the public does not see any need to tear apart what we are accomplishing right now, who would that serve?

If there is something to debate, debate the next bound, the post 2011 bound, not this one we are in the middle of.

Back