• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghanistan - This is very disappointing if true....

Cdn Blackshirt

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article1181612.ece

From "The Independent" - Fury as Karzai plans return of Taliban's religious police
By Tom Coghlan in Kabul
Published: 17 July 2006

The Afghan government has alarmed human rights groups by approving a plan to reintroduce a Department for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, the body which the Taliban used to enforce its extreme religious doctrine.

The proposal, which came from the country's Ulema council of clerics, has been passed by the cabinet of President Hamid Karzai and will now go before the Afghan parliament.

"Our concern is that the Vice and Virtue Department doesn't turn into an instrument for politically oppressing critical voices and vulnerable groups under the guise of protecting poorly defined virtues," Sam Zia Zarifi of Human Rights Watch said. "This is specially in the case of women, because infringements on their rights tend to be justified by claims of morality."

Under the Taliban the Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice became notorious for its brutal imposition of the Taliban's codes of behaviour.

Religious police patrolled the streets, beating those without long enough beards and those failing to attend prayers five times a day. Widows suffered particular hardship because of the diktat that women be accompanied by a male relative when out of their homes, an impossibility for thousands of women widowed during decades of war.

The Ministry was also charged with the imposition of the Taliban's interpretation of sharia punishment. Executions at Kabul football stadium, which included female prisoners shot in the centre circle, did much to fuel the Taliban's international isolation.

However, the Minister for Haj and Religious Affairs, Nematullah Shahrani, defended the new body. "The job of the department will be to tell people what is allowable and what is forbidden in Islam," he said. "In practical terms it will be quite different from Taliban times. We will preach ... through radio, television and special gatherings."

He denied that the department would have police powers but said it would oppose the proliferation of alcohol and drugs and speak out against terrorism, crime and corruption. It would, he added, also encourage people to behave in more Islamic ways.

Nader Nadery, a spokesman for the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission, said: "It will remind people of the Taliban. We are worried that there are no clear terms of reference for this body."

Western diplomats have reacted with unease to the proposal. However, several told The Independent that they believed the move was partly designed to defuse Taliban propaganda which accuses the Karzai government of being un-Islamic.

"This is an Islamic republic and sharia is a part of the constitution," one diplomat said on condition of anonymity. "If it is constitutional and within the framework of the International Convention on Human Rights [to which Afghanistan is a signatory] then it could represent a public information victory for the government."

With the Taliban making considerable gains in the south the Karzai government has been keen to establish a more conservative Islamic profile and to appear more critical of Western military operations.

Over the weekend violence continued across southern Afghanistan with British, American and Canadian troops mounting their biggest combined operation since the Korean War. British paratroopers mounted a cordon and search operation in Sangeen on Saturday night. A British base in the town has been under daily attack for more than two weeks.

Afghan officials said 27 Taliban fighters were killed in the Helmand province during the offensive, with 18 wounded and 10 captured. Two British soldiers were injured but not seriously.

Forty militants were also said to have been killed in separate fighting in north Helmand and Uruzgan provinces on Saturday.

Another 35 insurgents were reported killed during operations in Helmand yesterday. In other parts of the country, six Afghan soldiers died in a roadside bombing in the west, while a suicide bomber killed four civilians and injured 23 others in Gardez in the south-east.

The Afghan government has alarmed human rights groups by approving a plan to reintroduce a Department for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, the body which the Taliban used to enforce its extreme religious doctrine.

The proposal, which came from the country's Ulema council of clerics, has been passed by the cabinet of President Hamid Karzai and will now go before the Afghan parliament.

"Our concern is that the Vice and Virtue Department doesn't turn into an instrument for politically oppressing critical voices and vulnerable groups under the guise of protecting poorly defined virtues," Sam Zia Zarifi of Human Rights Watch said. "This is specially in the case of women, because infringements on their rights tend to be justified by claims of morality."

Under the Taliban the Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice became notorious for its brutal imposition of the Taliban's codes of behaviour.

Religious police patrolled the streets, beating those without long enough beards and those failing to attend prayers five times a day. Widows suffered particular hardship because of the diktat that women be accompanied by a male relative when out of their homes, an impossibility for thousands of women widowed during decades of war.

The Ministry was also charged with the imposition of the Taliban's interpretation of sharia punishment. Executions at Kabul football stadium, which included female prisoners shot in the centre circle, did much to fuel the Taliban's international isolation.

However, the Minister for Haj and Religious Affairs, Nematullah Shahrani, defended the new body. "The job of the department will be to tell people what is allowable and what is forbidden in Islam," he said. "In practical terms it will be quite different from Taliban times. We will preach ... through radio, television and special gatherings."

He denied that the department would have police powers but said it would oppose the proliferation of alcohol and drugs and speak out against terrorism, crime and corruption. It would, he added, also encourage people to behave in more Islamic ways.
Nader Nadery, a spokesman for the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission, said: "It will remind people of the Taliban. We are worried that there are no clear terms of reference for this body."

Western diplomats have reacted with unease to the proposal. However, several told The Independent that they believed the move was partly designed to defuse Taliban propaganda which accuses the Karzai government of being un-Islamic.

"This is an Islamic republic and sharia is a part of the constitution," one diplomat said on condition of anonymity. "If it is constitutional and within the framework of the International Convention on Human Rights [to which Afghanistan is a signatory] then it could represent a public information victory for the government."

With the Taliban making considerable gains in the south the Karzai government has been keen to establish a more conservative Islamic profile and to appear more critical of Western military operations.

Over the weekend violence continued across southern Afghanistan with British, American and Canadian troops mounting their biggest combined operation since the Korean War. British paratroopers mounted a cordon and search operation in Sangeen on Saturday night. A British base in the town has been under daily attack for more than two weeks.

Afghan officials said 27 Taliban fighters were killed in the Helmand province during the offensive, with 18 wounded and 10 captured. Two British soldiers were injured but not seriously.

Forty militants were also said to have been killed in separate fighting in north Helmand and Uruzgan provinces on Saturday.

Another 35 insurgents were reported killed during operations in Helmand yesterday. In other parts of the country, six Afghan soldiers died in a roadside bombing in the west, while a suicide bomber killed four civilians and injured 23 others in Gardez in the south-east.

Think of where and when you are....this is probably an attempt to inculcate real Islamic values by using a recognized means of enforcement...note that the accent is on "encouragement", and these guys won't have the legal power to beat people up.  There are parallels even in Saudi Arabia, and in Western society....when society goes to hell in a handcart, some elements tout the return to some sort of religious standard to re-establish proper behaviour.  It may also be a way for Karzai to get his own spies out into the world, and into every facet of day to day life.

Will it remain as I perceive that it has been envisioned?  Probably not.  Given the where and when they are, there will be excesses, and cronyism will destroy any possibility of this being a neutral council of "encouragement"...

I guess all I'm saying is that for the Afghans, it might not be such a bad idea in principle, but taking into account the social and philosophical level of achievement of that area of the world, you're probably right.

Afghanistan is a free country who has elected a free democratic leader who is capable of making choices on behalf of the people. This is a problem for Afghanis to sort out not wannabe internet politicians.

Hoover said:
Afghanistan is a free country who has elected a free democratic leader who is capable of making choices on behalf of the people. This is a problem for Afghanis to sort out not wannabe internet politicians.

Watch your mouth. They're free to discuss anything they wish about it. Don't like it, don't read it, or you can just leave. BTW, Afghanis are monetary units Afghans are a people.

Seems you haven't learned from the last time. Here's a reminder.

Canada is a free country, which has free citizens, who are capable of discussing any decision, being taken world-wide, and assessing its relative likelyhood of success.  The free election of politicians anywhere doesn't mean they can't do stupid things, or be called on it...that's democracy, and the freedom to express opinions.  The freedom to express opinions is the cornerstone of a free and democratic country, particularly as it relates to politics.  Your heavy-handed attempt to terminate discussion on topics you do not support is largely a statement of "I don't agree with you", without any data to back up your opinion.  How can you be truly supportive of a free and democratic form of government if you do not support the underpinnings thereof?

In any case, the error of your ways has been explained to you in more forceful terms.  I am attempting to provide enlightenment on the basic contradiction inherent in your attempting to shut down a free discussion to support freedom and democracy.  Next, you'll be saying the government should have the right to detain people without due process in order to preserve their freedom....;)

Cheers!

I hope that the new morality police... err... thought police.... um... religious advisers don't conduct themselves the same way as they did under the Taliban rule.  I wonder how they will choose to interpret/enforce the rules of the Koran. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have uptight people running around DT Toronto telling people not to spit, litter, to get up an offer your seat on the subway and to move over when walking on the sidewalk - to make room.  But then I remember what happens every time politicians get involved with religion.  If you defy them you're not just wrong,  you're immoral!  You don't support this certain politician you're not supporting God.  Blah blah blah.  Comming from a Western country I'm kind of allergic to the idea of people going around saying what is allowed and what isn't under a religion.  With that said,  yes the people of Afghanistan have elected a leader,  yes they may do what they like in their own country.... but they are still struggling against outside influences (I'm referring to the other nationalities that have gone to Afghanistan to build a Fundamentalist country)

recceguy said:
Watch your mouth. They're free to discuss anything they wish about it. Don't like it, don't read it, or you can just leave. BTW, Afghanis are monetary units Afghans are a people.

Seems you haven't learned from the last time. Here's a reminder.

actually recceeguy....Afghan people can be referred to as Afghanis..Afghans or Afghani...as Afghani is the currency...afghanis is just the plural form....like dollar, dollars.....ask an Afghani this, they will tell you...like were were told while doing yet another wasteful week of PSO trg.

I was told the way I posted, by my interpreters. I tended to believe them more than the dweebs that were telling us stuff back in Canada. Some of whom had never been outside continental North America. Potatos- potahtoes. I'll stick with what the natives told me.

Afghanis are monetary units Afghans are a people.

So let me get this straight. I think I have been doing it wrong.

When I checked the conversion charts they refered the Afghanistan monetary unit as Afghans(not that they necessarily have it right), but the Afghanistan people refer to it as Afghanis, singular and plural?

The people are are only referred to as Afghans?  Is that correct?

recceguy said:
I was told the way I posted, by my interpreters. I tended to believe them more than the dweebs that were telling us stuff back in Canada. Some of whom had never been outside continental North America. Potatos- potahtoes. I'll stick with what the natives told me.

I hear ya there recceeguy...the gal we had doing cultural awareness was Afghani, hence a native.....so I have no reason not to believe her. But she did say that they usally are referred to as Afghani, though she said afghanis, afghans is fine.

CIA World Fact Book

Afghans - people
Afghani - currency.

Whatever, call em what you want.

Afghans = people
Afghanis = currency

was told this by my interpreter and several Afghan Government officials...

Well the Police have raided a number of bars and "Chinese Restraunts" recently...

They smashed up a bar owned by a guy i used to work with.

Worried about the type of activity the "religious police" will have in Afghanistan? Don't, they're right here too !!!

Kosher butcher loses licence
Tue Jul 18 2006  By Alexandra Paul MIKE APORIUS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/local/story/3596886p-4157555c.html

Dietary dispute will affect observant Jews in Winnipeg

Omnitsky Kosher Foods owner Sam Gekht points out meat stamped as kosher at his Main Street shop.   

WINNIPEG'S last kosher butcher just isn't kosher enough for the people in charge of Jewish dietary laws.
North End institution Omnitsky Kosher Foods, one of the last kosher butchers in Western Canada, has been stripped of its licence to sell fresh beef in a dispute with the Vaad Ha'ir, the group that designates foods as kosher.

The impasse leaves an estimated thousand or so customers, mostly elderly, observant Jews, without a source for fresh kosher beef.

Neither Omnitsky nor Vaad Ha'ir -- affectionately known as the "kosher cops" -- will divulge the precise nature of the dietary dispute.

"I think it's a big tragedy. Everybody had a choice. What are they going to do now?" wondered one man at Bathurst Street Market, a Jewish deli and store that sells frozen kosher meat shop.

The deli is sold out of frozen cuts of meat, but plans to close this month because of too little demand   
"It's very serious," said Harry Garfinkel, a member of the conservative Talmud Torah temple. "Now people will have to import their meat from Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver."

Over the last decade or two, religious Jews, mostly younger families, have switched to suppliers in other parts of Canada who observe stricter enforcement of kashrut, or Jewish dietary laws, observers including a prominent rabbi said yesterday.

Winnipeg's Jewish community has shrunk in recent decades, according to various Statistics Canada surveys. Only a minority observe the dietary laws, which include the ritual slaughtering of meat and the removal of as much blood as possible.

Advocates say the purpose of kashrut is to ensure the meat is clean and free of the taint of disease. Religious authorities also say observing the laws is part of what makes Jews distinct as a people.

Omnitsky is still selling its fresh beef -- the freezer in the back of the butcher shop is as full as it's ever been since the store first opened in 1922.

The outraged owner, Sam Gekht, insists his customers are lining up behind him so he can stay in business. And, he says, nothing has changed in the way his butchers handle their meat -- not in the 84 years the shop has served the Jewish public and, increasingly, devoted Muslims, who observe Halal, a similar set of dietary laws.

On Friday, the dispute between Omnitsky and Vaad Ha'ir came to a head.

"They came in here and they took the licence right off the wall. It was a shock," the butcher shop owner said. He figured the gesture was a reaction to his decision to reject a new five-year contract with strict new terms.

The contract contained terms that were radically different from the standards the shop has obeyed for years so he rejected them, the butcher said.

Vaad posted a newspaper notice about its decision to withdraw its approval from the shop in the Saturday Free Press. It named Omnitsky and saying any beef sold with the Vaad's WK brand after July 14 was "unauthorized" and "invalid."

"We're being accused of putting them out of business, which is incorrect," Vaad Ha'ir president Don Aronovitch said.

Aronovitch said tightening up of kosher laws in Jewish communities has been gaining strength in North America. It's just reached a flashpoint in Winnipeg this year.

Vaad tried to talk Omnitsky into moving with the times but finally just gave up, he said.

alexandra.paul@freepress.mb.ca

This is admittedly a little different.  The shop advertises itself as being run according to the dictates of religious laws.  The authority which outlines these laws has pulled his certification.  Now, since neither of them will discuss the reason for the dispute, I have a feeling it has to do with non-payment of certification fees, or implementation of "rules" which have nothing to do with the religion, and have everything to do with who owns stock in the remaining competitive companies...However, this is a voluntary arrangement where business is driving the bus.  I'm not Jewish, but couldn't he just get the local rabbi to certify  him?

Gunnar said:
I have a feeling it has to do with non-payment of certification fees, or implementation of "rules" which have nothing to do with the religion.  I'm not Jewish, but couldn't he just get the local rabbi to certify  him?

Winnipeg has a fairly sizable Jewish community, and this type of feud has simmered over the years. No, without the council's approval, no rabbi will touch the issue. It and many other issues are strictly religion based. The one concession I will make, is that the Jewish community keeps it within the Jewish community, but it is a form of religious police.

Back