• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghanistan, is it worth it- Cheating Spouse Thread

patriot1112 said:
I find this humerous. I thought I was being harsh in my last post, but after reading this chicks blog It seems I wasn't harsh enough. I'm completely amazed at her ignorance. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to speak to her, that is assuming I wouldn't have parts of her education process quoted, disected and used against any possible positive image of Canada's involvement in Afghanistan.

I can't see that being a good idea.  I see all sorts of mangling happening to any statement you'd make to her. 

On the contrary, maybe all she needs is a good imformation session to make her realize what's really going on over there instead of what she has "heard".

I picked up a pair of hitchhikers just outside Montreal on my way to NB last fall and they had interesting opinions on the world, the "man", the police, etc... I waited about an hour before I eluded to what I did for a living and where I had recently returned from.  When I dropped them off in Riviere du loup, they had a completely different attitude and told me they had only needed to meet the "right person" to show them what we were doing in Afghanistan.

Not everyone is closed minded, give them a chance.

Bzzliteyr said:
Not everyone is closed minded, give them a chance.
Possibly.
In the blogger's context though, any chance to change her mind through factual information is hampered by two things:

1) her own personal agenda ("cheating spouses - on top of everything else evil about us being in A'stan, it's destroying perfectly golden families...next on Oprah my college blog"), coupled with,

2) her having an "audience." It's virtually impossible for her to change her mind (unlike two hitchhikers trapped in a mini-van with an army guy ;) ), because to 'her posse' she'd be 'selling out to the war machine' by concurring with anything remotely supportive of our mission and our troops.

Sorry, but our educational institutions are amongst the least likely to engage in free thinking.

Journeyman said:
Sorry, but our educational institutions are amongst the least likely to engage in free thinking.

free thinking
free love
free speech
free basing
free education

When you're young and going to school on someone else's money, it all free and easy to believe it's all your right to do it, even if you're doing it badly.

I like to cling to the notion that eventually the real world will jump up and punch them in the face... 78 times.

Lil_T said:
I like to cling to the notion that eventually the real world will jump up and punch them in the face... 78 times.

Hopefully soon.

Hi All,

I wanted to share with you the PM I received from the broadcast student.....

I'm doing a documentary about the human cost of Aghanistan.  I have been interviewing  a us war deserter who is hanging out in Canada after being in Afghanistan for a year, a child solider from Central Amerrica who was trafficked to Canada  and professionals about post traumatic stress disorder.

I'm pretty open to talking to veterans, family members about thier experiences.  This documentary will be broadcast on the radio in Vancouver and world wide on the the web on Evolution1079.com.  It is fifteen minute segments.  How much material I get will determine how long the final project might end up.

Let me know if you're interested,  or have any ideas or suggestions,

Since the last comment makes a lot of sense "ANY IDEAS or SUGGESTIONS"... maybe this is the time to enlighten the broadcast student of the realities?????? what say you all???

Cheers :yellow:

How in the heck does a child soldier from central America have anything to do with human cost in Afghanistan.

meni0n said:
How in the heck does a child soldier from central America have anything to do with human cost in Afghanistan.

Yes, this!

Ya this whole thing makes you really wonder eh? is she really a broadcast student? or is she confused?
digging for a story? I just don't know.... but I thought I would share what was sent to me with you guys.....
All I know is the Love of My Life is in a war torn country with IED's  RPG's 556, 762 45cal and whatever other things are flying around him and our other soldiers... so I am not good with the whole Tree Huggin approach.... and a warm fuzzy story .... so reality is this is tough all around...

uer said:
Hi, 

I'm a broadcast student doing a radio documentary about Afghanistan for school.  Would you be willing to talk in a phone interview about your experiences?  It is the kind of story that would fit well with what I am doing.  Thanks,

If you're a student, you should be studying such things as accuracy a little more, because "The general of the Canadian Armed forces called Afghan people "detestable murderers and scumbags," is false.

Gen Hillier described the Taliban thus, not Afghans in general.

And that is an apt description.

lovinmysapper said:
Ya this whole thing makes you really wonder eh? is she really a broadcast student? or is she confused?
digging for a story? I just don't know.... but I thought I would share what was sent to me with you guys.....
All I know is the Love of My Life is in a war torn country with IED's  RPG's 556, 762 45cal and whatever other things are flying around him and our other soldiers... so I am not good with the whole Tree Huggin approach.... and a warm fuzzy story .... so reality is this is tough all around...

Yes LMS, I feel for you. I saw this question and thought, uh-huh, another person digging for some dirt on the CF.

This poster (uer) reminds me of some student-activists here in Ontario. :peace:

People serving in theatre now, in dangerous situations, and their families and friends at home, don't need to be reminded of this kind of lack of support by ungrateful Canadians. Many Canadians do, however, support Canadian Forces personnel and  their families.

:yellow: :yellow: :yellow:

Loachman said:
"The general of the Canadian Armed forces called Afghan people "detestable murderers and scumbags," is false.

Gen Hillier described the Taliban thus, not Afghans in general.

And that is an apt description.

Loachman, I love the way you put that: concise and succinct. I know we've told the same thing to some Guelph students: they don't listen.  :brickwall: Hillier actually said those words shortly after the London bombing. That was partly why he spoke so passionately against the bloody, bullocky scumbags!

(Edit: re-format)

Thanks.

I participate enthusiastically in the CF Remembrance Day Speaker Programme each year. I generally address four to six schools, and have spoken to children and young people from Grades 1 to 12. I always try and put things into perspective for them. I frequently ask what the population of their town is, and then ask them to imagine an appropriate percentage of their town dead as a comparison to the number that we've lost in all wars to date, as the raw number is largely meaningless to them. I have them imagine the losses in hopes and dreams of the dead, and the effects upon their families.

I began incorporating Afghanistan into my presentations a few years ago, and relating that to the oppression by the Taliban - no music, no computer games, no radio, no television, no Ipods, no computers, no internet, no sports, no dances, no McDonalds, no medical care or school or careers or going out in public without their father or brother for the girls, their teachers risking being murdered and their schools being burned, shortages of basic foods and none of the ones that they like, the boys being forced to grow beards in a year or several or risk being beaten if they don't.

I have no problem getting them to understand why we are there.

I've missed the last two years, much to my regret - one for my work-up and one for my deployment, but now I have a burqa for the girls to try on too.

I'm betting that I could turn this blogger around, given the chance to speak in person.

Loachman, same thing here.

The kids love the idea of not going to school.  But once you present them with the fact that they have no toys, x-box, or friends to play with, then it doesn't sound as interesting to them.  With a little hint that instead of just sitting around, they'll be working on the farm or in the city doing odd jobs at the ripe young age of 8, they listen up.

I personally like to put the losses we've have into perspective by mentioning how many soldiers we have sent over and lost, then comparing it to the amount of people killed by drunk drivers in the past month.  It helps when you suggest that the soldiers that have died knew what they were getting in to when they went over.  In most cases, they died doing the job they loved.

You and I could sit down with this blogger and wake her up to many things I imagine.

Bzzliteyr said:
You and I could sit down with this blogger and wake her up to many things I imagine.

Only if said student researcher is prepared to listen with his ears AND his heart.... else you'll get cut off & have your words twisted to heck

Dear Abby, I am usually open to talking to the press... In fact, I even have a couple of friends who are reporters. However, I read up on and research before I talk to said members of the press, and anyone who engages in slant such as what I found on your blog, I will always pass on.

Accuracy is everything, and the deliberate twisting of words I saw on your webpage tells me that you will never never make it in the real press corps. I recommend that you go back to school, and start studying things such as ethics.

You can maintain your biases as a reporter, you can even let those be known. But the second you twist the first person's words, you are good for the tabloids only. For you though, I fear it is too late. Should you apply to the Associated Press, your little blog will be on the ether forever... Pity, ruined before you even started.

Teeps74 said:
Dear Abby, I am usually open to talking to the press... In fact, I even have a couple of friends who are reporters. However, I read up on and research before I talk to said members of the press, and anyone who engages in slant such as what I found on your blog, I will always pass on.

Accuracy is everything, and the deliberate twisting of words I saw on your webpage tells me that you will never never make it in the real press corps. I recommend that you go back to school, and start studying things such as ethics.

You can maintain your biases as a reporter, you can even let those be known. But the second you twist the first person's words, you are good for the tabloids only. For you though, I fear it is too late. Should you apply to the Associated Press, your little blog will be on the ether forever... Pity, ruined before you even started.

Well said Teeps74 :salute: Well said!!!!!! :)

This group is paying for promotions and air time.  It's my job to write commercials, stories, and press releases for diffrent clients, be it childcare services, hairdressing schools, musical show or art gallery opening or war protests.  Our station also plays commercials for Canadian Armed Forces as well for free which students have written, produced and voiced.  In fact I have written an ad for them which was on air, and have not recieved any compensation.   

The media doesn't really have an agenda because it represents a diversity of opinions.  Right now,  I'm just collecting information and gathering stories for a project, I don't  have an agenda because as a writer I can easily write fiction stories and still get published.  As for my radio project, it's a documentary, so real stories and interviews are what I'm looking for. 

Everyone has a bias...even if they don't think they have one. 

Back