• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AF Spouses

trobious

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been Googling for over an hour and cannot find any info on Canadian AF wives and their lifestyle.  Flying is MY dream job so it is my responsibility to find out how it will affect the ones left behind (wife and future kids).

The US has a lot of stuff for wives but I want to serve Canada. 

Question 1 of 2.

Can my wife live in Portage and Moose Jaw during flight school?  Is it easy to find jobs there?  I know she could not live in SouthPort because the AF will provide me with food and accommodations and I have to study my buns off etc.  But it would be nice for her if I could visit her once in a while.

In Moose Jaw, could she and I rent a place together and is rent still cheap?  I know I will still have to study like crazy evenings and weekends.

PS I am willing to go in blind but she has a lot of questions and I want to answer them for her, it's a big sacrifice for her.

Thank you,
T

Portage - Phase 1 and 3 - no - your wife stays in MJ while you are on Phase 3

Moose Jaw - Phase 2 - yes - cheap rent on base - most guys bring their wives

Zoomie said:
Portage - Phase 1 and (possibly) 3 - no - your wife stays in MJ while you are on Phase 3

Quick correction ;)

If you go jets, you'll stay in Moose Jaw for Phase III.  After that, you go to Cold Lake and you can also bring your wife along.

If you're married, you'll likely be attach posted to wherever your wife is to wait on OJT (on the job "training") after completing Basic Officer Training until flight training starts. I have never heard of anyone with dependents not returning to their family while on OJT (other than by request).

Your Phase 1 (primary flight training) should only take 3 months. It may be longer but you will go on this training by yourself. After completing PFT you'll return to where your OJT was. If you're not married or just want to try a different place to see another flying community you may have an opportunity to do OJT at a different Squadron but you will have to arrange this with the receiving Sqn and pay for all moving costs on your own. It's not a bad idea to see different Sqn's and different aircraft types before you're asked what your preferences are.

You can bring your wife to phase 2 (basic flight training) in Moose Jaw. It's worth considering whether to bring your wife to MJ or not. The community is a small town with little in the way of recreation or employment opportunities. For many guys, leaving their wife back home (where OJT was done) and attending MJ on "Imposed Restriction" is a better way to go and not uncommon. This means you're restricted from moving your family and all your stuff. Generally, this IR is requested so you're asking for a restriction to be imposed on you but that's all semantics. MJ should take 5 to 7 months. But lately there have been delays and it's not uncommon to be on course for a year or more. While on IR, your rent and meals are free and you'll get separation allowance (I think about $300 a month) as well as Leave Travel Assistance - depending on the distance to your next of kin, it's about $500 to Vancouver for example, to travel back home once a year. You can also use it to bring your spouse out to visit you in MJ (reverse LTA).

If you're on IR, after you complete MJ you'll go back to your spouse to do OJT until phase 3 on Multi's or Helo's. If you have brought your wife to MJ, you'll do your OJT there. The wait could be anywhere from a month to up to 8 months, depending on the state of the training system at that time. When you go on Ph3, you must leave your family wherever it is, and like Ph1, go solo. Ph3 should take about 6 months on multi or helo but again it's not uncommon for it to take longer. Once you have wings it takes about a month to get fully posted out of MJ and sent to your new Sqn. At this point you get a full blown all inclusive move and typically you bring your wife to wherever you're going. IR is rarely done at this point.

As mentioned before, if you are selected to fly jets, you'll stay in MJ and continue your ph3 there, get wings and then either be posted to MJ to instruct or sent to Cold Lake for more training. If you want jets, this may influence your decision to bring your wife as your life will be on the prairies for a few more years - if not a few decades. However, peoples' preferences change dramatically sometimes once they start Ph2 and get a taste of what's to come.

Your wife can come and visit you in MJ and Portage - stay in your room in the Barracks and eat at the mess. No problem at all. If she starts to camp out in your room for months on end, someone will probably have a problem. But a visit for 2 weeks or more hasn't been any problem for past courses. There is very little opportunity in Portage and you won't be there very long so although you could put her up in an apartment (or live in one yourself with her) the time frame is so short it's not worth it. I can't speak to the opportunities in MJ but I would guess that unless she's a nurse/doctor/school teacher, the only thing available will be Walmart or Tim Hortons. Rent in the PMQ's in MJ is cheap but there's a long wait list to get one. I have heard from students there now that renting in MJ is difficult and not that cheap.

In some ways being in the training system is very hard on a family. You're gone on course for up to a year (maybe more) but you don't get many of the benefits of a guy who would deploy (and generally not deploy for that long). Although you can visit your wife or vice versa, other than Ph1, training is pretty intense and you have little time for visits. If you do move your family to MJ, it's a Orderly Room move (not a IRP move) so you're not entitled to many of the things that a full move gives you. I don't know what the differences are but you can easily find them on here. You're expected to be ready to go on course at any time (and should be) and expected to perform every day on course. Once you're done training, you go to a Sqn where there is typically more focus on quality of life concerns and you're cut some slack for family considerations. You're stable, posted to one location for a period of time and have a little bit of certainty.

In training, you have no idea what direction your career will take, where you will ultimately live, opportunities for your spouse etc. Generally, guys in training are also unfortunately fed predicted course dates but these are rarely accurate and they aren't told a realistic time frame for their next course. This is difficult because if you're going on course for 8 months starting in a month you need to get ready and get your wife/kids/house ready for moving or you being away for 8 months. If that gets pushed ahead continuously by 6 weeks - for another year - you're constantly spring loaded to go, but never told the real story until the last minute.

All I can say is you need to have your ducks in order and your wife needs to be ready and understand. If she has a good job going right now and/or a good support network of friends or family where you are now, I would discuss with her and give thought to leaving her there. She'll miss you in MJ, but she'll have support. You will be pretty busy in MJ and not have much time for her anyway. It gets better when you're on Sqn and a bit settled.

3Green, thanks for a very informative post on current training and one's spouse!

I brought my wife to Moose Jaw. i also have two young kids, so we (my wife and I) decided to to do Phase II together. She gave up her job and we moved to big sky country. Luckily, our neighbours quickly became our closest friends and she settled in well. She quickly understood what phase II was all about. You need to have the support and understanding at home. When i was on phase II we had an agreement that regardless of what was happening, or required I would go to the basement at 6:30 six nights a week to study. I didn't leave the basement until 11-12 each night- for 8 months.

My wife just peeked over my shoulder and said "absolutely she should go with him, and be given the briefing..." ;)

Any questions PM me.

Cheers, and good luck.

Wow thanks Bograt, 3Green and the rest of you for some excellent info. This kind of stuff is difficult to find and often taken for granted by those who have figured it out, and therefore not passed on to those of us who now need it. Staff, I think this could use a sticky!

Does having common law or even just "girlfriend" status affect any of this? Obviously it affects moving costs and IR if they're not dependants, but are visits to the shacks and getting a PMQ still good to go? If I get a PMQ during Ph 2, would she be able to keep living there while I go to Portage for Ph 3 if she's not a dependant?

Concur.  Stuck.  ;)

Milnet.ca Staff

benny88 said:
would she be able to keep living there while I go to Portage for Ph 3 if she's not a dependant?

You keep your PMQ when on course in Portage.  It either remains empty or your girlfriend populates it - doesn't really matter.  You won't get IR if you don't have a dependant - so get married or enter a common-law relationship if that is what you intend.

I felt this thread was the most suitable place to post my question. It provides great information for Pilots, but I was wondering about ACSO training. Is it possible for your girlfriend to live with you while on the ACSO course in Winnipeg?

Although the course is still over a year and a half away for me, any information is appreciated. My girlfriend is beginning to ask questions and I would like to give her some answers as soon as possible.

Unless things have changed recently, it's a posting (with move, etc.)  So yes, if you live in the PMQs or rent.  I know of people who have bought houses/condos, but I didn't see the point on a course of that length.  Last I remembered, PMQs are fairly cheap and if you could get the ones in the north side (next to the base), super-close to the school and the hangar.

Perfect, thank you for the information and the quick reply Dimsum.

I always laugh when I see this type of thread because most of the time it only has pilots...... And the rest of the air force trades get ignored..... And yet, a pilot can't fly without us other trades.

murrdawg said:
I always laugh when I see this type of thread because most of the time it only has pilots...... And the rest of the air force trades get ignored..... And yet, a pilot can't fly without us other trades.

???

I see mostly pilots talking about their experiences and helping one another out...

So what was your point of this necropsy? To troll a bit? Because that's exactly what it looks like to me.

Heck, even the thread title is "AF Spouses" and not "Pilot Spouses"

Scott
Staff

murrdawg said:
I always laugh when I see this type of thread because most of the time it only has seems that pilots ...... And the rest of the air force trades get ignored..... And yet, a pilot can't fly without us other trades. provide helpful information and everyone else sits back and complains about not getting any information...

FTFY...

p.s.  Nice of you to provide your experiences while at 8 Wing Trenton.  ::)

murrdawg said:
And yet, a pilot can't fly without us other trades.

Conversely, without the aircrew, there is no need to have the airplanes fixed. You just as dependant on the aircrew as the aircrew are on the technicians ( same goes for all other trades). Make no mistake, it takes all our people doing their jobs to make the RCAF work, none are more important than the other.

Scott said:
I see mostly pilots talking about their experiences and helping one another out...

So what was your point of this necropsy? To troll a bit? Because that's exactly what it looks like to me.

Heck, even the thread title is "AF Spouses" and not "Pilot Spouses"

Mostly pilots.... what I meant.... I'm CELE myself, I'm just surprised there aren't more diverse support air force trades who are on this thread posting stuff as well.

Good2Golf said:
FTFY...

p.s.  Nice of you to provide your experiences while at 8 Wing Trenton.  ::)

I grew up in Trenton.... And I wasn't common-law in Trenton either.... If I saw somewhere that I thought worthwhile to post, I would... I mean, just look at my posts for RMC.... I may be young but I'm not stupid.... If someone asked me about my experience, I'd be more than happy to share them.

What does any of this have to do with the thread at hand? You're just trying to back up your earlier trolling. It ends here. If you have nothing to contribute to the thread other than whines about how you are not recognized like the pilots are then trundle on elsewhere.

Scott
Staff

Back