• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AF Blue Short Sleeve T-Shirts & Aircrew Long Jons

Little wikipedia fact finding

flash points
Diesel >62°C (143°F)
Jet fuel >38°C (100°F)

Not really the issue though as anything with enough energy to go through the hull will likely create enough heat to touch off diesel as well as all of the other accumulated fuel, pyro, ammo, etc jammed in the vehicle.  So the question still stands.

BinRat55 said:
The AF will be getting the equivalent to the Army's green temperate underwear only in blue  but I don't know when.

Wearing the long underwear right now as I type.  The turtlenecks are a little too extreme - holding out for mock neck long-sleeve shirts.

Spinaker said:
Somewhat off topic but I think that has already been answered.  If the Army underwear does not provide sufficient flash protection to be issued to aircrew why have I never heard of any restriction for ground vehicle crew or pax?  Has this been an oversight or have I just been missing out.  This seems particularly odd given the specific restrictions on Underarmour etc for the exact same reason.

Anyone heard anything about this issue?

Ok then the question is being misunderstood - it's not flash protection that the underwear is not providing, it's static dissipative properties (and discharge) as well as a slight degree of fire retardant properties. I guess we don't worry about that annoying little "snap" of static electricity while we are near diesel... perhaps you could elaborate a little more to the gist of your inquiry? See below...

"It was determined to use a 75/25 cotton and polyester blend to address the requirement for anti-static properties in the garment. In addition to its being anti-static, the garment does provide some FR protection when worn as an undergarment as it will not melt as a 100% polyester T-shirt would. This is not to say that it can be worn during flying ops as the aircrew are still required to wear long underwear as their base layer."

The question is: Has anyone received any guidance, or heard anything for that matter, on the wearing of army issue long underwear for ground vehicle crews and pax (specifically on ops)? 

This being prompted by the concern expressed by Max and CDN Aviator that these garments would not be suitable for aircrew due to the possibility of melting in a fire.  The issue of static dissipative properties may be of relevance in some situations but I'm no SME so i will not comment on it.  It struck me as interesting that the air force seems reluctant, with valid reasons, to wear these garments in an environment with the risk of flash fires while I have not heard anything along the same lines from the army where similar conditions are encountered (although underarmour and other non issue garments have been addressed).  I'm not a materials researcher, perhaps there is a perfectly valid reason, I ask only out of curiosity and professional interest.

Allright, I just went to supply today and they got a huge load of T-Shirts yesterday.  Still no luck with Long Jons.

They have Helo-Type long Jons, but no "Fighter"-Type Long Jons (no idea what the difference is, aside from the color).  I had to beg to get the helo type (which is what I was issued before anyways).

Still low on gloves and I couldn't get a pair that fit me...  Oh well, I don't think we'll be flying for a while anyways :p

Max

BinRat55 said:
This is not to say that it can be worn during flying ops as the aircrew are still required to wear long underwear as their base layer."

It cant. We just went through this on my Wing. 100% cotton is whats required, not a blend.

SupersonicMax said:
Still low on gloves and I couldn't get a pair that fit me...  Oh well, I don't think we'll be flying for a while anyways :p

Max

Did you ever get the. "we don't have your size but we can give you a smaller size in the interm" speil.
I love that one.

We have been told here the Long Johns will be available around May/June.

Nothing we can do except wait I guess.

Time for a necropost...

Flash back to the initial issue of CADPAT for AF types.  I was issued five Fruit of the Loom AF Blue t-shirts, size XL, which served me well over a year until I couldn't take the "we still don't have any" response at clothing stores.  I then got a relative to buy a bunch of the same size, same brand t-shirts in the US while they were on a shopping trip.

Jump ahead to April of this year.  After checking with clothing stores at increasingly frequent intervals for over three months, I gave in to their suggestion that I take 5 of their XXL t-shirts and give them a hot wash and dry, and come back when they get stock in size XL.  I take them home, unwrap them, note that they're now "Logistik Unicorp" brand, and fire them into a hot wash and dry.  I've never worn a dress before, but I have to imagine it's a lot like wearing one of these t-shirts.  It's half way down my thighs, and the sleeves hang out from underneath the rolled-up sleeves of a combat shirt.  I suffer with it, rolling up the sleeves of the t-shirt as necessary so as not to draw fire from above.

I checked back with clothing stores on a whim a few weeks ago, and they tell me that they have size XL in stock.  I hop on the next shuttle over to clothing stores, explain that I'm there to get 5 XL t-shirts, and explain the whole sordid story again when they see that I've already gotten my five for the year.  I get my new XL t-shirts (Logistik Unicorp brand again), and take them home for a wash/dry according to the instructions.

I put one of them on yesterday morning.  It fits like a second skin.  Literally.  It's strangling me by the neck, and the sleeves are so short (well, one of them anyways) that it feels like there's a knife in my armpit.  They got the length right, though.

So, given that there's enough space between a size XL and a size XXL to fit another human in there with me, I'd like to know how to make a complaint about the shirts - because every one of them is like that, right down to the one arm being shorter than the other.  No, it's not my arms.

Do we still use UCRs?  Make a complaint to Logistik Unicorp?  Take them back to supply?  Be thankful that I even got AF blue t-shirts issued to me at all?  ;D

Back