• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AF beret + Metal Capbadge

Neoupa2002

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a problem. After searching the forums for an answer, I couldn't find one for my question.
Do I poke holes in the board of the beret so that my metal capbadge stays on or do I do something else? ???
note: I have a Parkhurst AF beret and a metal RC(air)AC capbadge.

If I remember correctly, you could poke holes in the cardboard bit of the beret.  Unless dress regs have changed though, why would an Air Cadet need a beret?

I need the Beret for my Combats (the outdated version). It's the so called mandatory headress with the combats.

AFAIK and remember the Beret is NOT part of the Air Cadet dress regs, thus NOT mandatory.

Who ever said it was mandatory needs to get their facts straight.

In the books it says it's not mandatory but according to my CO, wear a beret or don't wear the combats.
Anyways, anyone know if I should poke holes through the beret "board" or not?

I'll stay out of the mandatory dress discussion, but yes you can poke holes through the beret board. 

Neoupa2002 said:
In the books it says it's not mandatory but according to my CO, wear a beret or don't wear the combats.
Anyways, anyone know if I should poke holes through the beret "board" or not?
Your CO cannot mandate that you must purchase a piece of non-issue kit. i.e. OG 107 or a beret.  The authorized headdress with OG107 field dress is a wedge or beret.  However, as the beret is not issued, there no authority for anyone to mandate its wear, unless of course the local sponsor purchases berets with non-public funds for those cadets who have acquired OG107.

"Cadets are authorized to wear the OG107 uniform during sqn survival exercises when authorized by the sqn CO. Headdress (the wedge or blue beret with the Air Cadet hat insignia, wide-brimmed tan summer hat or toque) and cadet rank slip-ons shall be worn with the OG107 uniform."

gwp said:
Your CO cannot mandate that you must purchase a piece of non-issue kit. i.e. OG 107 or a beret.  The authorized headdress with OG107 field dress is a wedge or beret.  However, as the beret is not issued, there no authority for anyone to mandate its wear, unless of course the local sponsor purchases berets with non-public funds for those cadets who have acquired OG107.

"Cadets are authorized to wear the OG107 uniform during sqn survival exercises when authorized by the sqn CO. Headdress (the wedge or blue beret with the Air Cadet hat insignia, wide-brimmed tan summer hat or toque) and cadet rank slip-ons shall be worn with the OG107 uniform."

ummm - CO Cannot mandate that they purchase the kit but he/she can direct what order of dress will be worn thus wear a beret or don't wear the combats is a valid directive. It is the members choice to buy the beret because they want the CO to authorize them to wear combats.

IIRC, the AF Blue berets are available for the CCM through Logistik Unicorps as well.  If the CO is "paying" for the beret, it is well within his right to tell you to wear it.

Kyle Burrows said:
IIRC, the AF Blue berets are available for the CCM through Logistik Unicorps as well.  If the CO is "paying" for the beret, it is well within his right to tell you to wear it.
Confirmed by the RCSU HQ that berets are not on the scale of issue for air cadets.  The blue beret is not available through the supply system for cadets. They must be purchased privately with non-public funds.  The CO of a cadet corps can hold no money except a petty cash float that belongs to the sponsor. For a CO to deny a cadet participation because he does not have a beret, or does not have OG107 is not what the program is about.   

gwp said:
...For a CO to deny a cadet participation because he does not have a beret, or does not have OG107 is not what the program is about.   

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw nothing about the CO denying participation.  I saw the CO denying authority to wear OG107 without a beret.

Barts said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw nothing about the CO denying participation.  I saw the CO denying authority to wear OG107 without a beret.

dang - beat me to it.  ;D

Barts said:
Then what's the point?  Cadet Corps Squadron COs have very few sanctions wrt cadets.  To deny a cadet advancement in the corps/squadron, participation in an exercise/activity, canteen privileges, require extra duties, because a cadet is not able or willing to purchase kit that is not provided is not only unfair it is unconscionable. Wearing the issued wedge with OG107 cadet field dress is authorized and appropriate.

gwp said:
Then what's the point?  Cadet Corps Squadron COs have very few sanctions wrt cadets.  To deny a cadet advancement in the corps/squadron, participation in an exercise/activity, canteen privileges, require extra duties, because a cadet is not able or willing to purchase kit that is not provided is not only unfair it is unconscionable. Wearing the issued wedge with OG107 cadet field dress is authorized and appropriate.

The point is that the CO authorizes the order of dress. If he/she does not authorize the member to wear OG107 then the member is not allowed to wear it.  This CO has determined that the members will only wear this order of dress with the beret.  There is no mention of denying advancement, participation, priivileges or assigning extra duties. If the member is not able or willing to purchase the beret then they have deal with the fact that they will not wear the field dress.

Did you even read the quote from Bart??  Have to ask as you quote him and then go on about denying all these things when he clearly stated the only thing denied is the authority to wear OG107 without beret.

CountDC said:
The point is that the CO authorizes the order of dress. If he/she does not authorize the member to wear OG107 then the member is not allowed to wear it.  This CO has determined that the members will only wear this order of dress with the beret.  There is no mention of denying advancement, participation, priivileges or assigning extra duties. If the member is not able or willing to purchase the beret then they have deal with the fact that they will not wear the field dress.  Did you even read the quote from Bart??  Have to ask as you quote him and then go on about denying all these things when he clearly stated the only thing denied is the authority to wear OG107 without beret.

The CO cannot properly deny wearing OG107 by any individual cadet while wearing a wedge rather than a beret.  Perhaps the field dress was acquired at no cost to the family of the cadet and they do not have the ability or desire to purchase a beret.  The authorized dress is the wedge.

The CO of a Cadet Corps/Squadron does not authorize the components of any order of dress. The dress regulations say that it is authorized to wear either a beret or wedge with cadet field dress.  As the beret is not an issue item, wearing the wedge is authorized and wearing a beret which is not an issued item is optional but cannot be demanded.

The bottom line is no cadet can be forced to purchase or acquire non-issue kit whether it be field dress or any non-issue accountrement.    Any parent of a cadet who came home and said that the CO was "demanding" cadets acquire or purchase non-issue kit or denying the wear of a combination of authorized non-issue and issue kit would properly raise the matter to a higher level. 

As i am aware of, for the combat uniform you can either wear the barrett or wedge while in full combats. That is of course you have the combat setup, other wise you cannot wear the barrett or wedge considering you are not in uniform and presumably you would be in civillian attire while you are at the Field exercise.

I do agree it is not mandatory for the barrett to be worn, but (I think) it looks better with the combats. Aswell some army units do issue it and aswell it is issued at some CFB's so it depends if your unit supplies the uniform, if they do I would presume it would become a mandatory part (if they issue it) otherwise it wouldnt be mandatory but probably prefered.

thatcadetkid said:
As i am aware of, for the combat uniform you can either wear the barrett or wedge while in full combats. That is of course you have the combat setup, other wise you cannot wear the barrett or wedge considering you are not in uniform and presumably you would be in civillian attire while you are at the Field exercise.

I do agree it is not mandatory for the barrett to be worn, but (I think) it looks better with the combats. Aswell some army units do issue it and aswell it is issued at some CFB's so it depends if your unit supplies the uniform, if they do I would presume it would become a mandatory part (if they issue it) otherwise it wouldnt be mandatory but probably prefered.

I kinda like these barretts http://www.porterhousecrafts.com/cgi-bin/clerk/giftfind.cgi?uniquegift=hair+barrett, although I'm not sure whether they should be mandatory, especially when wearing a beret.

gwp said:
The CO cannot properly deny wearing OG107 by any individual cadet while wearing a wedge rather than a beret.  Perhaps the field dress was acquired at no cost to the family of the cadet and they do not have the ability or desire to purchase a beret.  The authorized dress is the wedge.

The CO of a Cadet Corps/Squadron does not authorize the components of any order of dress. The dress regulations say that it is authorized to wear either a beret or wedge with cadet field dress.  As the beret is not an issue item, wearing the wedge is authorized and wearing a beret which is not an issued item is optional but cannot be demanded.

The bottom line is no cadet can be forced to purchase or acquire non-issue kit whether it be field dress or any non-issue accountrement.    Any parent of a cadet who came home and said that the CO was "demanding" cadets acquire or purchase non-issue kit or denying the wear of a combination of authorized non-issue and issue kit would properly raise the matter to a higher level. 

The CO does auth the ORDER OF DRESS which means he/she can say you are not authorized to wear OG107.

Quote from CATO 55-04 (16) (e) ...Cadets are authorized to wear the OG107 uniform during sqn survival exercises when authorized by the sqn CO...

Parents can complain to a higher level and hopefully that higher level would inform them that the approved order of dress is up to the CO of that sqn. If push came to shove the CO can simply state that OG107 will not be worn by any member of the Sqn. By the way - berets are under $20 new, probably $5 at surplus - don't know of any family that can not come up with that if they really wanted to.

If the OG107 is issued by the unit and the CO mandates that berets shall be worn then the unit should be purchasing said headdress.  Period, end of story.  If the cadet has decided to purchase their own set of combats because they are not issued by the unit then the cadet should spend the money and buy a beret, which the CO has said shall be worn with the uniform.

Note that any clothing that is deemed mandatory by a unit should be paid for by that unit.  This is the whole basis of the cadet organization -- no exclusion because of a family's financial status/situation.

Back