• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

ghostrider said:
i just got a phone call asking me if i could go to CFB Trenton on may 27th for aircrew selection, anyone know what to expect for this?

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/70257.550
23 pages.

ghostrider said:
if i should brush up on math

ACS math
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca++acs+math&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=4Bs9V5f6D-uM8Qf0_KbABQ&gws_rd=ssl

See also,

Canadian Forces Aircrew Selection Centre
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/cf-aircrew-selection-centre.page

Includes,
Joining Instructions
Candidate Guide
Administration Instructions

AESOPs don't do ACS.  If you are being recruited for AESOP, you might want to call your recruiter and ask them to clarify.  :nod:

Actually it's about to start for AES Ops as well. So he may be the first batch of candidates going thru the trial.

I don't know;  I think there is a better and more relevant way to do it.  This process likely has very little to do with determining a candidates aptitude towards *our* job.  What the trade should have done is designed a "selection week" like SAR Tech has but with tasks/environment relevant to what we do.

I fully agree with a selection process, just not necessarily this one.  It was just 'easy' to use.  Easy doesn't always = the best.

:2c:

Hi everyone,
So I just received where I will be posted formy PAT platoon and I got Val-Cartier, does anyone know when the next course will start?

The next BAQC will start in January next year. I suppose you're VOT from an army trade in Valcartier? If so, you will be on BTL over there until your course start. I recommend you ask to go to 430 Sqn to gain experience with the aviation and aircrew world. Until then, you will be also course loaded on Sea Survival, BSERE, and BEW, all depending on course availability.  Good luck!

ghostrider said:
hey everyone,

i just got a phone call asking me if i could go to CFB Trenton on may 27th for aircrew selection, anyone know what to expect for this? the recruiter didn't know much and when i asked if i should brush up on math or anything he just said there is no study guide, so i am basically going into this blindfolded, any heads up would be nice

thanks

Same for me

Anyone have more info on this?

I have been to Trenton last year (for AEC, ACSO and Pilot), but I failed the test. Do they use the same test for AESOp? Is it the same level of difficulty? I'm afraid that with only one week to practice, my chances of passing are not that great.

Thanks

To be honest with you none of us know what it's going to be like. This is all new to us as well. Sorry!

It's an extra hurdle but at least your trade is looking at being MORE selective when so many are going the other way.

It's all part of this move towards combined aircrew training for pilots, ACSOs, AES Ops and maybe a few other trades. DAS from Ottawa came for a visit in March and briefed us about this project.

Eagle Eye View said:
The next BAQC will start in January next year. I suppose you're VOT from an army trade in Valcartier? If so, you will be on BTL over there until your course start. I recommend you ask to go to 430 Sqn to gain experience with the aviation and aircrew world. Until then, you will be also course loaded on Sea Survival, BSERE, and BEW, all depending on course availability.  Good luck!

I'm finishing BMQ on June 3rd and then I'm posted to val cartier, I find that odd, but oh well, looking forward to it

Eagle Eye View said:
It's all part of this move towards combined aircrew training for pilots, ACSOs, AES Ops and maybe a few other trades. DAS from Ottawa came for a visit in March and briefed us about this project.

Do you think this is a good move?  I know there have been some projects that have come and gone, I think this could be one of those.  Remember the functional wing?

My concern with this is that if they are going with combined aircrew training all the different trades be held hostage by each other's schedule.  What would be the benefit?  Other than crew exposure? 

Not to mention it is the role of the OTU to train aircrew on the specific platform and crew cohesion.

I know what you mean, but I think we will see this project been fully implemented. The aircraft they are looking at using would most likely be a King Air with a sensor suite package. My understanding of Futur Aircrew training is it was started by the pilot trade so they're the ones calling the shots, not the ACSO trade. I can see a financial benefit of this, as long as every trade QS requirements are met.

Anything that decreases the time it takes for line sqn crews to get new B cats is GOOD.  Anything that increases the time it takes for line sqn crews to get new B cats is BAD.

Making the selection more thorough is great, we needed it to happen before OFP but I also think it should be trade specific, like SAR Tech is.  Selection for an AESOP should involve things that we actually do.  I hope the ACS isn't a cookie-cutter deal and it fine-tuned but I'll not be too hopeful for that.  The CAF usually chooses "easy" over "best"... :2c:

With the MH community 'on pause' somewhat now, hopefully this will give us the new operators we need; the next 1-2 years are going to be challenging.

Yeah like I said, I commend you guys for being more selective, but it does seem like weird timing given your trade's op tempo. I guess there's never really a "good time" so sometimes they just have to go ahead and implement changes.

If the ACS is the exact same as the other trades go through, I'd also be worried about successful candidates being steered towards another MOC.

Eagle Eye View said:
I know what you mean, but I think we will see this project been fully implemented. The aircraft they are looking at using would most likely be a King Air with a sensor suite package. My understanding of Futur Aircrew training is it was started by the pilot trade so they're the ones calling the shots, not the ACSO trade. I can see a financial benefit of this, as long as every trade QS requirements are met.

I don't see how it'd benefit the entire RCAF.  Given all the different aircraft we have, I don't see how a pilot destined to be a Herc driver benefits from working in a crew environment with AES Ops or even how they would work it into their training.  Sounds like needless "exposure".

Seems like a waste of money, just get the King Air and assign them to SOFCOM.

Spectrum said:
Yeah like I said, I commend you guys for being more selective, but it does seem like weird timing given your trade's op tempo. I guess there's never really a "good time" so sometimes they just have to go ahead and implement changes.

If the ACS is the exact same as the other trades go through, I'd also be worried about successful candidates being steered towards another MOC.

I'd rather have one good aircrew member than have five useless aircrew members.  If that means some ass pain now then so be it. 

I know that's a blunt statement, but we need individuals who are motivated, self-starters and most importantly have the aptitude.  I know others will disagree with me.

I think we need 'those who can'.  I'd just like to see more of them hit the Sqn sooner than later.  ;D

ACS as an interim, sure.  But I still think we should develop our own, trade-specific "selection"; it seems to be working for SAR Techs.  Selection could even use exercises and tools to assess suitability for MH, ASO and NASO.  :2c:

Back