• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

Hey all. I hope someday, I will be able to say, I am a AESop! I am currently on the Merit list for NESop, and am very excited to get back in to the forces. Oh, and I have made my desire to re-muster after I am 5s' qualified clear to the recruitment section.

I was wondering if anyone knew what transferable skills gained by the NESop trade are to the AESop field. I also want to know if there are any courses that anyone could recommend that would make me stand out in the competition for AESop positions in the future.

Also, what is it looking like for the CH148s? Is there still the standard compliment of one AESop?

Thanks so much and hope to see you on the flight deck of a ship someday!

Will. ;D

willellis said:
Oh, and I have made my desire to re-muster after I am 5s' qualified clear to the recruitment section.

the recruiters haven't mentioned that you can apply directly to aes op now?

are you an ex nesop?  i'd think that if you are, you already have a few of those transferable skills.  call them back and ask about direct entry to aes op...

willellis said:
I was wondering if anyone knew what transferable skills gained by the NESop trade are to the AESop field. I also want to know if there are any courses that anyone could recommend that would make me stand out in the competition for AESop positions in the future.

No idea on the NES Op side of the house, but being a strong performer with a good learning apptitude and good PERs will all help.  Part of the OT application includes an assessment on you filled out by your supervisor, so they get to weigh in on how you perform too.  It all starts long before your actual application.

Also, what is it looking like for the CH148s? Is there still the standard compliment of one AES Op?

Yes.  However, the equipment is going to be *slighty* different from that on the SeaKing.  ;D

Thanks so much and hope to see you on the flight deck of a ship someday!

Will. ;D

Like already mentioned, did you ask about Direct Entry into the AES Op trade?  It might be closed until 01 Apr 2010, but if AES Op is what you REALLY want to do, it might be worth your wait for a few months.  The first Direct Entry Privates just went thru the AES Op QL3 course (BAQC) and graduated recently in Winnipeg to move on to the QL5 course (IAQC).  Each course now will (likely) have a mix of remuster and direct entry folks on it.  THe next BAQC has 6 OTs and 4 Direct Entry Privates.  Great time to get into trade IMO.

NESOP and AESOP are 2nd cousins in regards to transferable skills.
The only piece of advice I can give for both, is that your math skills have to be closed up.

If you fall behind in your academics, the slogan nobody gets left behind unfortunately does not apply.

Hey folks. Thanks for the feed back! I have been made aware that AESop is now offered for direct entry, however, I do not have the math skills to be considered at this time. I don't want to say that I am settling for NESop, because I am not. I truly believe that for the bare minimum, I will be happy for my first contract. I believe it is still 4 years, is it not? Anyways, like I said, NESop is not a fall back plan, but rather my own entry plan. IMO, I will have a hard time making the direct entry cut for 2010 based on my math skills, so I am going to enjoy my stint in the Navy, learn all that I can about the equipment and procedures of being an operator, and enjoy the travel. I will also learn as much as I can from the AESops on board. It's always nice to hear it from the horses mouth, as they say. I will also use what little free time I get and upgrade my math to a level that is well above the minimum requirements. As Crow mentioned, this will have to be something that I do rather quickly, as it is vital to both trades.

Sky Eye, thanks for the sound advise. I am not a kiss ***, but I do work my bag off when tasks are handed out. I hope that will suffice on my PER's

Dolphin and Trigger, I was aware, but I appreciate the heads up.

I have always loved the ocean and believe that it will be a great time, but like I said, my heart is in the sky. I think that doing all of the above mentioned will help prepare me for life as a AESop. Especially if I get posted as part of an air detachment on a ship! All I want to do at this point in my life is get in ASAP. I am 25 now, so I figure that I have plenty of time ahead to change my career plan. Thanks again all.

As a NESOP your math skills need to be at the same level as an AESOP.

They do, but the basic requirements for entry to NESop do not require the same level of math that AESop does. I was told that this is due to the fact that there are so few people applying for NESop vs. AESop, so in order to attract more applicants, they dropped the standard. And my mathematic abilities are at an acceptable level, just not on paper yet. Something that I will remedy ASAP.

I don't know about NES Op, I don't believe they "dropped the standard as not enough people were applying".  However, recently (in the past year, lets say) the CFAT score requirements for AES Op were adjusted as part of the Direct Entry 3 year trial program.

The NESOP trade has a Grade 10 requirement on the recruiting engraph unfortunately this misleading based on the Math 1030 package completion in DP1.

Eye In The Sky said:
I don't know about NES Op, I don't believe they "dropped the standard as not enough people were applying".  However, recently (in the past year, lets say) the CFAT score requirements for AES Op were adjusted as part of the Direct Entry 3 year trial program.

I would say that this explanation makes more sense. This just raises another question for me to take to the recruiting office however. Perhaps one of you fine members could grace me with the answer first. Can the CFAT results be used to determine a candidates suitability in lieu of the education requirements, and can these results be equal as the actual requirements?

HFXCrow said:
The NESOP trade has a Grade 10 requirement on the recruiting engraph unfortunately this misleading based on the Math 1030 package completion in DP1.

Hey Crow, I am just wondering what the Math 1030 is equal to in the civi world. Grade 11, 12? Also, as I was asking in my last post about the CFAT, could this course be used to satisfy the educational requirements of the CF?

Oh, I was also wondering if there are going to be any Chinook variations that will require AESops.

willellis said:
Can the CFAT results be used to determine a candidates suitability in lieu of the education requirements,

For AES Op..........NO !!
You must meet both the required CFAT score and the minimum educational requirement.

Period.

HFXCrow said:
NESOP and AESOP are 2nd cousins in regards to transferable skills.
The only piece of advice I can give for both, is that your math skills have to be closed up.

If you fall behind in your academics, the slogan nobody gets left behind unfortunately does not apply.

UMMM?.............NO!

willellis said:
Oh, I was also wondering if there are going to be any Chinook variations that will require AESops.

No.

Back