• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

Celticgirl said:
I think we'll be so busy, there won't be much time to feel homesick.

CG, you would be amazed at the people who break down mentaly after only a few days, some even the first night. It always catches me by surprise when i see people balling their eyes out on the phone about how much they miss home and stuff and they have only been there for a few hours.

CDN Aviator said:
CG, you would be amazed at the people who break down mentaly after only a few days, some even the first night. It always catches me by surprise when i see people balling their eyes out on the phone about how much they miss home and stuff and they have only been there for a few hours.

That doesn't surprise me one bit, CA. Some people don't spend much time away from their families and I'm sure it's a shock to the system in the beginning, especially when you have small children. I'm fortunate in a way because my daughter spends time with her dad (my ex) and I am used to being away from her for up to 3 weeks at a time. Ergo, I already know she can deal with the distance just fine and so can I. It will just be for a longer period than usual. I miss my daughter when we're apart, but it is no longer an aching feeling like it was when I first started having to 'share' her. ;) The upside is that people who are going through this separation anxiety can come and talk to me when they are having a hard time because I can relate. (Hear that, Kyle? :)) We can help each other work through the tough times.

Received and understood. I think for me it will just be weird not having a little person (or persons, depending on the night) stumble bleary eyed into my bed because they had a bad dream.  I'm ok with being away, i was on my own for a lot of years. If once in a while you'd be so kind as to throw things around, jump of the couch, sing ABC's at the top of your lungs off key, and pretend to be either a) spiderman b) dora, or a combination of the two, then i'll feel right at home. :)

We can bring a blanky, right?

Celticgirl said:
I think we'll be so busy, there won't be much time to feel homesick. Also, we're going to be bonding with our platoon members and doing stuff with them all day every day...that has to help assuage any loneliness, at least for the first while.

LOL...He's probably afraid he might have to carry one of you after the ruck march. Him not being such a "big guy" and all. ;) {Does he lurk in the AF section? lol}

Do I ever!  :) You're not that big yourself Heather.  ;)

Needing a blanky doesn't come off as weak, does it?  

I should probably work on that then. So much for my Greatest American Hero bed sheets.

Aw c'mon Jeff, i promise to REALLY breathe out and stuff. ......

I'm curious though, are we graded on technical skill, or artisitc merit - because i can do a killer rendition of that move from Dirty Dancing - so long as someone can hold me up long enough. ^-^

AEC Career Manager is really good at keeping AECs close to their families for OJE.

Actually, it is AF AEC Tng who is good at getting OJE/Ts to where they want to be even if that means being close to home. The CM does not deal with ab initios (new folks) until they graduate from CFSACO. Careful what you wish for though, as you might just get it. Hard facts show those that go to operational bases for OJE/T do better at CFSACO.

Aerospaced_out said:
Actually, it is AF AEC Tng who is good at getting OJE/Ts to where they want to be even if that means being close to home. The CM does not deal with ab initios (new folks) until they graduate from CFSACO.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Careful what you wish for though, as you might just get it. Hard facts show those that go to operational bases for OJE/T do better at CFSACO.

Which bases are considered 'operational'?

Hi there!  Pretty new here, but I just wanted CelticGirl to know that I'll be on QMOB January 5th in St-Jean too!

Let's hope we'll be in the Blue Area...

I would guess places like North Bay, Trenton, Cold Lake, Comox - all the bases listed in the AEC interactive map. (from the Forces recruiting site)

Ironman said:
Hi there!  Pretty new here, but I just wanted CelticGirl to know that I'll be on QMOB January 5th in St-Jean too!

Let's hope we'll be in the Blue Area...

Great stuff, Ironman! You are welcome to join our Facebook group if you are so inclined: BMOQ Jan. 5th Facebook Group Just send a request to join, and I'll add you! :)

Are you an AEC as well?

sinistersuperspy said:
I would guess places like North Bay, Trenton, Cold Lake, Comox - all the bases listed in the AEC interactive map. (from the Forces recruiting site)

I've been thinking a lot about what Aerospaced_Out said in his/her last post and re-considering things a bit. I only have one shot at this and want to give myself every opportunity to do well at CFSACO. If I can get a little time to come to Cape Breton to be with my daughter after BMOQ and possibly again before going to Cornwall, I could see myself doing OJE in a place like Trenton to get the 'operational' experience. (There's always Victoria Day weekend and Canada Day weekend and I could potentially fly home to see her at those times.) This is something I will discuss with the AF AEC Tng person when I get the opportunity. It's something to take under consideration, for sure.

To be sure - i don't necessarily face the geographic separation challenges you do - but my concerns are the same. I want to kick the crap out of this thing. I already "see" myself doing this trade. Having the added benefit of current AEC's experience thru OJE would be awesome, but also not at the expense of mine or my family's disconnection.

DO we know when we will meet with the AF AEC Tng?

Celticgirl said:
Are you an AEC as well?

Aha, you are. I just lurked in your posting history. ;) I see you are francophone as well. Your English is quite a bit better than my French.  8)

Back