• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

A pre-course 'common' phase is more than a rumour. 

The students will be loaded on their particular stream (IFR/VFR/WPNS) as per the norm now, and the 3 week all-encompassing AEC training will just be added before each individual course.  Their aptitude within the common phase will not affect the stream they have chosen and been accepted for.

The new common phase is being initiated to supplement (and perhaps replace) the oft-noted substandard DL portion of AEC training.

Without that oft-noted substandard DL portion there would likely be no AEC training at all as the occupation was on the verge of collapse not so long ago. Core as DL was a means to end... ramping up graduate production. There was always the understanding we could return to in-house Core when the circumstances allowed. However, at 3-weeks it is still not the Core of old because the good parts of Core (ostensibly the simulations) were moved to their respective stream training.

With this said I am still of the opinion selection testing will be as much or more of a benefit than any Core program to either the individual or the occupation.

Aerospaced_out

Sir,

Thanks for all of the good info. I have just completed an OT from MARS (Shipborne Air Control background) and am trying to find out a few different things. I have only just received my Change of Occupation msg, and am trying to gather more information on stream selection, and what I can do to prepare myself for my coursing in Cornwall.

Any suggestions would be welcome, specifically with respect to preparation for the academic phase. Also, if you could point me in the direction of some information about how stream selection works (I'm leaning heavily towards weapons at this point) and any information about career progression (e.g. DP1, DP2, when I should expect to be doing what courses), that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. If you would prefer to have this conversation offline, I can make my DWAN information available.

Cheers
nz

Just remember that while the academics are challenging at CFSACO they are not rocket science. The fact that you meet the CFAT criteria is fairly good indication that you will not have issues with what could arguably called grade 11/12 level stuff. Its how you apply that stuff that is the usual determinant of course success.

Your background will put you in good stead. MARS officers, particularly those that have been watch officer qualified, seem to do well as AECs. Moreover the Shipborne Air Control will undoubtedly have many of the similar core concepts and types of academics.

Stream selection really is just a function of your choice and what we need at the time when your name comes around.

As to PD, I am overseas right now and a bit disconnected from what is en vogue for AEC getting the DP modules done. Hopefully one of the folks here can chime in and provide better info than I can.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Ref. PD, the current DP2 for the RCAF is the AFOD (Air Force Officer Development) program (and the OPME program).  It currently comprises of 3 distance learning 'blocks' (Blocks 2-4), with a final residential block (block 5) still under development.  The 3 DL blocks are all conducted online on DNDLearn, with all readings & tests available through it (although Block 2 has some 'deliverables' that must be signed off by your supervisor).  You can find the info to sign up for them on the CFSAS website.

In the meantime, if you haven't spoken to them already, you should have 2 AECs (weapons background) on the coast serving as Maritime Fighter Controllers with the Navy.

Feel free to PM me if you want any additional info!

Just finished up in Cornwall completing the IFR course and have been qualified for a couple months. If you have any pre-course questions about what to expect, daily routine, how to make the most of your OJT etc., feel free to ask away!

The course was challenging but went pretty smoothly. Unit checkout wasn't as stressful as I expected, but with that said you will probably be able to guess where I am posted :)

When's the next course I wonder for IFR? My friend is still awaiting his course loading message and it should have been some time early July...

DaHonga said:
When's the next course I wonder for IFR? My friend is still awaiting his course loading message and it should have been some time early July...

7 Aug - 20 Dec 2012

is there any chance to apply for AEC for me? My BAC in electronics and IT background ? I am really interested in Air Forces.

Your background is fine what is important at this point is whether the occupation is open to external applicants. Just drop in or call a recruiting office.

My old man is an AEC. He CFR'd in the early 90's to AWC, and had to get his ATC cross-training through Cornwall. I used to be very interested in AEC, and Dad said it was one of the hardest, academically speaking, trades to get into. He had many failures off his course, and the bare minimum pass standard was anywhere from 80-90% on a test.

MP was hard enough, with a minimum pass of 75%, I don't personally think I could achieve the above mentioned standard. I may have been hitting high 90's/100's on MP testing, but it was also something I went to school for to learn.

Obviously the trade has changed a lot in almost 20 years (My dad will definitely shudder when I mention that number to him), however from his experience, the trade itself has not.  It can be a very high stress trade, especially at the Jr Officer level. It can be a very rewarding career, (as any in the Forces can be) but it is definitely something you must want. If you don't want it, don't try out for it.

I apologize that I couldn't provide any more recent info in regards to the training process.

And my mistake, dad just reminded me when he went from Cpl to OCdt it was 22 years ago :)

Aerospaced_out said:
Your background is fine what is important at this point is whether the occupation is open to external applicants. Just drop in or call a recruiting office.
Thanks. I started to think about AERE - much real then....

Hi,

I am presently transferring AEC by the CEOTP program. I was wondering if anyone knew the next start date of the course in Cornall ?

Tks

dad_r22r said:
Hi,

I am presently transferring AEC by the CEOTP program. I was wondering if anyone knew the next start date of the course in Cornall ?

Tks

Depending on which stream you choose there are two to three courses per year.
Weapons is either January to May or August to December.

You'll probably have to wait a year or two before you get on course.
Plus you'll have to do your commond Distance Learning course as well but I've heard they've been working to do an in class common phase for AEC.

Hi,

I suppose this is more of a Phase 3 question rather than OJT, but could someone tell me the pass rate for AEC training?

I hear all kinds of conflicting stories.

Thanks,

While AEC selection testing is now implimented most of those processed through that system are still in university (ROTP intake). As such recent CFSACO AEC grad levels persist at the 50% rate.

As a side note the training backlog is quickly disappearing. The second half of 2013 should see significant reductions in the time between going on OJT and going on course.

DaHonga said:
Plus you'll have to do your commond Distance Learning course as well but I've heard they've been working to do an in class common phase for AEC.

The DL is now gone and replaced by the Common Phase.  The current VFR course was the first course to use it.  I believe it's 2 weeks tacked on before beginning your stream training.

MrDy3r said:
The DL is now gone and replaced by the Common Phase.  The current VFR course was the first course to use it.  I believe it's 2 weeks tacked on before beginning your stream training.

The more things change...

Back