• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

We had a "mom" too, but she was 52! She had to head home for a bit (her hubby was sick) but, she'll be back! Strength and determination, she refused ALL help when it came to something physical... she was out to prove to others and not just herself, that she could do it.

I miss her tons :)

What week are you in EpicBeardedMan??? Obviously the beard doesn't exist still???

Mine has been extended a bit too, but... you can really tell the difference between those who sort of want to finish basic and those who REALLY WANT TO FINISH BASIC.... they tend to heal a lot faster and the determination oozes through their pores :)

The sooner, the better for me!

Yup. I really hope all of my friends who are on AWT now get their fit chits and on platoon ASAP so they can GTFO of the Mega.

tfly said:
Thanks, I'll do just that.  :)  Are you there now?  What week?  If so, see you in a few weeks, perhaps.  :-\

week 3 when I left, I would of rather stayed and knocked out the 3 weeks, we could of been on week 6 by now and halfway done!  :snowman:

My guess would be Christmas block leave.

Elementary, my dear Tfly. 'Tis that time of the year, so the deduction was a simple matter indeed. Now, where is my pipe?

Honestly I didnt know what to do with myself when I got back, all this time on my hands to just sleep and play video games, pretty sure i've gained weight too. Wanted to go back last week :p

EpicBeardedMan, I'm ready to get back too!!

More psyched than anything! May have gained a bit of weight too but I'm convincing myself it's all muscle! Been to the gym lots since I got back home, running lots... and, maybe a *little* bit of it is Christmas goodies but... not too much :)

EpicBeardedMan said:
week 3 when I left, I would of rather stayed and knocked out the 3 weeks, we could of been on week 6 by now and halfway done!  :snowman:

I would have liked to have been back earlier too - but basic did a serious number on my immune system.  I've never been so sick in my life!  I've definitely needed the time to sleep...

megsy said:
I would have liked to have been back earlier too - but basic did a serious number on my immune system.  I've never been so sick in my life!  I've definitely needed the time to sleep...

Came back with a chest infection..and since no cards were issued to us before we left I dropped 30$ on 6 pills...never knew how good drug plans were until I needed them lol.

Loachman said:
Elementary, my dear Tfly. 'Tis that time of the year, so the deduction was a simple matter indeed. Now, where is my pipe?

Ah yes...I should know that.  As a reservist right now at an air maintenance squadron, I, along with the civilian workers, where the only ones there of 300+ people.  All others on LEAVE.  :)

megsy said:

I hear you on that one! I am now well-stocked on the anti-cold crap... I swear I've had about 10 colds since I got there in August ... and I was a teacher in a previous life! We're supposed to be immune to this kind of thing!

No one is immune to shack hack. Every course, without fail, will get a majority of people sick.

Congrats on following through and pursuing a goal!

I'm just finishing up my BMOQ at St Jean and there are few "older" women on the course between 31 and 42, (they would kill me if I called them older, but anyway) the biggest thing I think they have said they needed to work on was cardio. You're running around quite a lot and the last thing you want is to fall off the back of the platoon during runs. There's a fair amount of running about and swimming in other portions of the course as well, so having a good solid cardio base is a very, VERY good idea. Set yourself up on a good interval training plan for cardio and you'll be surprised how quickly you can build up endurance.

As for the strength training, core and upper body is important but so long as you can meet the standards you will be fine. That being said, for every extra push up, sit up, chin up, burpee ect that you can do the easier the course is.

You may want someone at your local gym to "spot" your push ups so you can be assured you're doing them correctly. I can't stress this enough...SOME of the PSP staff are notorious for being extremely picky with their push ups. As an example, my week 8 PT test. My platoon staff counted 42 perfect  pushups (I counted 47) but the PSP staff counted 19!! As a former competitive athlete who knows how to do a freakin' push up or two I was not impressed.  Anyway, download the CF fitness guide and take a look at that for technique.

Strength training does take time and commitment and lots of repetition. When you have a spare moment, pump out as many push ups or situps as you can, rest for a few minutes and try it again. Do this a few times through out the day. Keep track of what you're doing in a log so you can actually measure your improvement. 

Your ability to gain muscle mass in your thirties is more difficult, but if you watch you diet, hydrate and get yourself on a good routine, you will succeed. We had a young woman on our course who couldn't do more than 2 push ups and thanks to our staff and  her dedication is well past 25. In fact there's  very few women on our platoon whom are not able to reach the men's standards thanks largely to their effort before they came on course.

Being fit is also important for you to avoid injuries as well.  I can't tell you how many people I've seen taken off platoon for injuries. Some were unavoidable but many were just due to a drastic change in someone's required output in a given day that they were simply not ready for.

Keep at it and DO NOT slack off on your pre BMOQ fitness schedule. Go fit and be as prepared as you can and you'll be laughing...and crying...but mostly laughing!

All the best to you and welcome to the family!

aviatrixx said:
Congrats on following through and pursuing a goal!
All the best to you and welcome to the family!

Thank you for all your great advice.  I leave next week, so I hope what I have done to date will be enough.  I doubt it though, I suffer with cardio myself.  But all I can do is the best I can do, so that's what I will do. :))))

Perhaps I'll see you around the Mega.  :salute:

...... and I'm 3s qualified.  YAY! ;D

Best part, posted back to the same unit/section I was working in for the attached posting. 

Back