• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Admin Help - Express Test, TCat, Fail-PER

Tech

Inactive
Reaction score
First, a brief history. Back in Dec, I did my express test not knowing if I was going to pass or not. I have problems with my feet, so I was excused the shuttle run, but I attempted to do the step test instead (I did want to pass, so i gave it a try) . After the second heart rate reading, I could not go on due to my pain. My reading was too high anyway, so I took the fail result being happy that the test was over.
Now in March, I was retested. This time, I am on a TCat, and was excused the run and step test. Due to a CDS canairgen or canforgen (can't remember which), I was to do the Express test anyway. Needless to say, I passed all I could do and my result was an incomplete or medically excused PT Test.
My problem is, my PER has me as failed. Even though my last valid test had me as medically excused. According to the CFPAS help file, the only way to go from a fail is to pass the test. My question is, what was the purpose of the retest? My argument to my supervisor was that the CFPAS direction was taken out of context and doesn't take into account the new canforgen/canairgen ammendment. They won't budge. At the very least, my PER should read medically excused, my last valid test. I will redress. Do I have a leg to stand on?

Well from the help file:

Medical Excused versus not tested.

The medically excused rating only applies to those who have a temporary or permanent medical condition (CF 2088 duly filled) that precluded testing throughout the entire reporting period.

The not tested rating is used in all other instances including temporary medical problems, being in a location that does not support testing, operational commitments preventing testing, and for members who did not comply with CFAO 50-1 requirements. The not tested rating must be spoken to in the narrative (except for pers over 55) with a simple statement such as:

Not tested due to medical problem late in the reporting period;

Not tested as location precludes EXPRESS testing. Member participates/does not participate in fitness activities;

Member did not test due to operational requirements. Member participates/does not participate in fitness activities; and

Member did not test despite opportunity to do so.

but also:

Use the following guide when member did EXPRESS Test only :

pass . Member passed the CF EXPRESS test within the reporting period. No comment required;

exempt . Member achieved the Exempt standard of the EXPRESS test within the reporting period, or was exempted from undergoing the CF EXPRESS test by virtue of achieving the Exempt standard the previous reporting period;

med excused . Member was excused testing due to a reduced medical category, which covered the entire reporting period. Medical categories, which cover only part of the year, will be listed under “not tested” with an explanation in the narrative;

fail . Member failed to meet the required fitness standard. If a member was tested within the reporting period and failed, this outcome remains as the registered result for PER purposes until (and only until) the standard is passed within the same year; and

not tested . Member was not tested for any reason with the exception of a permanent or temporary medical category, which covered the entire reporting period. Comment must be made in the narrative.

I have only written a handfull of PER's but IMHO with the bolded items you could try a redress. But my question is notwithstanding the PT Fail did it affect any other aspect of your PER?

Based on the fail criteria, you meet that requirement as your tcat did not cover the entire reporting period (At least that's what I read from your statement).  You did try the test and failed it during the reporting period while not under a medical category right?

Thanks for the responses to this point. Yes, I was not on TCat for my fail. In hindsight, I should have requested a med chit to be excused but I really wanted to attempt it. As for my PER, I'm hoping for a promotion so it will affect me. If you read the sentence below the bold, that's the quote my supervisor is clinging to. The one about the only way to move from a fail is to pass.
Again, there's is nothing that mentions the new CDS directive, about partial express tests. My feeling is that the most recent express test that is completed should be the one that counts. The line about moving from a fail to pass does not take this into an account.

I seem to recall reading a Canforgen or Canairgen about having to complete an Express test even on category or having a chit excusing you from certain aspects of the test. I've read most of them pertaining to the Express test but haven't come across this specifically. Anyone know which one I'm referring to?

Back