• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter / Hostile Event ( ASHE ) prevention / response

Just to add a bit more "seasoning" to the Uvalde discussion

Bailouts occur when vehicles are pulled over and people exit the vehicle and leg it. All the schools in the area are locked down and emergency response teams are dispatched to each of them.

It still doesn't explain the hesitation, especially after 400 bodies were on scene.

Maybe until the first “pop”

< snip >, then to wade into sticky social issues where you sure to be called racist.

Sociological problems, education, DNA? Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

I read that in Los Angeles in the 1960's, their 3,400 police officers arrested 100,000 more criminals than their 10,000 officers were by 1996.
"A distressed Mayor Richard Riordan said it was vexing to learn that LAPD is now making 100,000 fewer arrests, issuing over 200,000 fewer citations, and conducting over 200,000 fewer field interviews per year."

I realize those statistics are dated, but I wonder if that is a trend?

If guns made you safer, the USA would be the safest nation in the world.

"Guns make you safer" is not a sufficient condition, and probably not a necessary one. A lot factors are involved (pro and con) in getting to "safest nation in the world". The conclusion doesn't necessarily follow the premise.

Sociological problems, education, DNA? Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

I read that in Los Angeles in the 1960's, their 3,400 police officers arrested 100,000 more criminals than their 10,000 officers were by 1996.
"A distressed Mayor Richard Riordan said it was vexing to learn that LAPD is now making 100,000 fewer arrests, issuing over 200,000 fewer citations, and conducting over 200,000 fewer field interviews per year."

I realize those statistics are dated, but I wonder if that is a trend?
FIDO: Fuck It, Drive On.

I did 48hrs in LA several years ago with LAPD Metro, more gunfights / hr than any other place I’ve been to in the world.

Overcrowded jails, and a society that values immediate wealth over life/law. A lot of criminal v criminal shooting deaths are not even reported.

That said, I love America and being an American, and cherish it a lot more that I cherished being a Canadian.

"Guns make you safer" is not a sufficient condition, and probably not a necessary one. A lot factors are involved (pro and con) in getting to "safest nation in the world". The conclusion doesn't necessarily follow the premise.
Plus who defines Safe…

FIDO: Fuck It, Drive On.

I did 48hrs in LA several years ago with LAPD Metro, more gunfights / hr than any other place I’ve been to in the world.

Overcrowded jails, and a society that values immediate wealth over life/law. A lot of criminal v criminal shooting deaths are not even reported.

The writer, a retired LAPD Lt. was reminicing about the "Golden Age" of the LAPD. Presumably, pre Rodny King.

Starting in 1973, affirmative action & consent decrees changed LAPD culture from aggressively pursuing criminals to laying back in police cars, taking careful and lengthy reports, while gangs ran wild in the streets and portions of L.A. were terrorized by thugs.

When I was in the field in the 1960s, our 3,400 policemen (our Civil Service rank) arrested 100,000 more criminals than do today's 10,000 affirmative action wonders. (Attorney GARY INGEMUNSON in "Warning Bells," Thin Blue Line, July 2005, p. 13—Also L.A. Times of 13 March 1996, pp. B-1 & 3): A “distressed Mayor Richard Riordan…said it was vexing to learn that LAPD is now making 100,000 fewer arrests, issuing over 200,000 fewer citations, and conducting over 20,000 fewer field interviews per year.”

Give no slack and take no shit from anyone. Confront and command. Control the streets at all times. Always be aggressive. Stop crimes before they happen. Seek them out. Shake them down. Make that arrest.

That said, I love America and being an American, and cherish it a lot more that I cherished being a Canadian.

My wife is a U.S. citizen. Arizona is my favorite state.

Damn.... sad to see that, but a good idea nonetheless IMHO

AR-15 rifles installed in all public schools in NC county​

A North Carolina sheriff installed AR-15 rifles in all county public schools in order to better prepare deputies in the event of a mass shooting.

Madison County Sheriff Buddy Harwell first announced the new plan in a June Facebook video in the wake of the Uvalde, Texas, Robb Elementary school shooting, during which 19 children and two teachers were killed. Harwell said on Friday that a safe, AR-15 rifle, and other security tools had been installed in the county’s six public schools, the

“We were able to put an AR-15 rifle and safe in all of our schools in the county,” Harwood said. “We’ve also got breaching tools to go into those safes. We’ve got extra magazines with ammo in those safes.”

“I hate that we’ve come to a place in our nation where I’ve got to put a safe in our schools, and lock that safe up for my deputies to be able to acquire an AR-15. But, we can shut it off and say it won’t happen in Madison County, but we never know,” Harwood said. “I want the parents of Madison County to know we’re going to take every measure necessary to ensure our kids are safe in this school system. If my parents, as a whole, want me to stand at that door with that AR strapped around that officer’s neck, then I’m going to do whatever my parents want as a whole to keep our kids safe.”

Apparently, what 100 Uvalde cops were too scared to do, an unarmed drag queen and an unarmed, retired Army officer were able to do: take down and stop an active shooter.

Last edited:
Apparently, what 100 Uvalde cops were too scared to do, an unarmed drag queen and an unarmed, retired Army officer were able to do: take down and stop an active shooter.

Yup. Phenomenal work by the individuals in the bar that stopped it. Some incredible heroism was displayed.

FWIW, in contrast with Uvalde, sounds like police here arrived and immediately entered, which is proper drills. I haven’t seen anything yet suggesting the response wasn’t proper.

Wow. When I finally got to the article after 20 prompts to sign up for the NYT, I had only planned on skimming it.

I thought it would be a ‘gangster type goes into club with a gun, let’s off a few rounds & gets tackled’ kind of play.

Nope! I was wrong!

A 300lbs dude with body armour & a secondary weapon…and this guy (a total Badass & hero) who had just started to ease up when out in crowded venues

I did get a chuckle as the article describes him as pistol whipping him without actually calling it that, then he gets others to come stomp on him with high heels & lay boots into him 👍🏻

Saved a lot of people. Represented his tribe well.

I am a Canadian, but lived in the US ( Oklahoma, Iowa, Michigan) a total just under 5 years I think

Oklahoma nice State but has issues that made me think twice about going too far from home
Sign at door of convenience store in the middle of no where " Legally Concealed Fire Arms Allowed"
Store was open 24/7
All I could think was if I was the store clerk at night and alone, if some person came in carrying and I saw it, last thing I would do is ask if it is a legal carry, I would just be hoping, he or she paid for the gas and what ever else and left without robbing me.

It is not the same world here in Canada, but our shaded sunglasses certainly colour our view, from tv and movies, news stories, every cop show or movie has a massive shoot out, ( unless you watch Barney Miller, yes I am old)
We get a small view of the USA and their gun issues. But for the record I never once heard of a school lock down in the towns I lived in the USA but where my kids went to school and day care in Arnprior Ontario, they have had one because of a mentally ill person at the local hospital, for what ever reason required a police response. But my kids practice lock down drills a few times a year.

We cannot compare our way of live here in Canada, to the life of a person living in the USA. 10x the population, so every number in stats seem to be higher. Social unrest is nothing here compared to down there. All factors in how life is there.

Unreleased records obtained by ProPublica, The Texas Tribune and The Washington Post for the first time show that communication lapses and muddled lines of authority among medical responders further hampered treatment at the Uvalde massacre.

Back