• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter / Hostile Event ( ASHE ) prevention / response

There is a solution, just not politically acceptable to the current governments in Ottawa and Washington

Getting the dark old "no video here" screen :(
Need to watch on YouTube directly.

It’s the girlfriend of the legally armed civilian who shot and killed the AS in Indiana, saying he pushed her down her to safety before engaging the threat.

If guns made you safer, the USA would be the safest nation in the world.

If guns made you safer, the USA would be the safest nation in the world.
CCW permits holders have a very low rate of charges against them and most are for dumb things like walking into a post office armed. The US Homicide rate puts it at the 59th spot out of all the countries, with 52% of homicides being in 2% of the counties. The homicide rate was dropping until Ferguson happened.

CCW permits holders have a very low rate of charges against them and most are for dumb things like walking into a post office armed. The US Homicide rate puts it at the 59th spot out of all the countries, with 52% of homicides being in 2% of the counties. The homicide rate was dropping until Ferguson happened.
Domestic violence and suicide enter the conversation.

Concealed Permit holders are below the line for those as well.

I carry a gun pretty much everywhere.
I had to stop bringing it some places when I turned in my badge - but by and large I will have one accessible even if not directly on my anywhere I got expect when I come up to Canada.

People are the issue - guns, like liquor and vehicles are simply inanimate objects and need human usage to function - correctly or incorrectly.

Absolutely this is an issue when firearms are involved.

Question: What kind of training and background checks would it take to get a CCW permit in the USA? I reckon it varies state by state.

Absolutely this is an issue when firearms are involved.

Question: What kind of training and background checks would it take to get a CCW permit in the USA? I reckon it varies state by state.
Most states allow LE/Mil training to count for any state requirement for training.
Some states also have a live fire standard to obtain.

Background is just a general criminal record check.

The largest disparity comes from each Individual States policy - some only issue for cause (and that can vary significantly between what is considered cause) while others have ‘shall issue’ policies where unless one has a hit on the criminal background or a restraining order logged you get it (usually a timeline of 7-28 days unless it’s a renewal). While other states don’t require any permit for concealed carry as long as one can legally own a gun (New Hampshire is one of those).

Then some states don’t honor other states permits - so you need to fulfill that states non resident permit requirement and apply for one of those if you want to carry there.

You are six times more likely to die by firearm (all causes) in the USA vs Canada.

You are far more likely to die by moose in Canada than the USA. Maybe we need a "no concealed moose" ammendment to
the highway traffic act ...

The problem is more a people/moose one than a regulatory one. People inclined to get firearms will, one way or another. Moose who want to cross the road will, no matter how clear or not the ditches are of brush.

Correlation does not equal cauation.

Just to add a bit more "seasoning" to the Uvalde discussion

One of the factors “contributing to relaxed vigilance [at Robb Elementary] was the frequency of security alerts and campus lockdowns resulting from a recent rise of ‘bailouts,’” the report said.

“The frequency of these ‘bailout’-related alarms — around 50 of them between February and May of 2022 — contributed to a diminished sense of vigilance about responding to security alerts,” the probe’s findings said.

Bailouts occur when vehicles are pulled over and people exit the vehicle and leg it. All the schools in the area are locked down and emergency response teams are dispatched to each of them.

It still doesn't explain the hesitation, especially after 400 bodies were on scene.

Nope.

Top ten states per capita (2017 figures):

1. Alaska (24.5 per 100k people)
  2. Alabama (22.9 per 100k people)
  3. Montana (22.5 per 100k people)
  4. Louisiana (21.7 per 100k people)
  5. Mississippi (21.5 per 100k people)
  6. Missouri (21.5 per 100k people)
  7. Arkansas (20.3 per 100k people)
  8. Wyoming (18.8 per 100k people)
  9. West Virginia (18.6 per 100k people)
  10. New Mexico (18.5 per 100k people)

That data includes suicides by gun and the US suicide rate in not that out of whack and certainly far lower than Japan or Korea, both that have strict gun control. The real issues facing people and governments in the US are hard to fix social issues, so it's a lot easier to blame guns and the NRA, then to wade into sticky social issues where you sure to be called racist.

Back