• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Acting ranks

Yes, I'm sure that would be the National Standard.  I was simply looking for clarification of which CATO was being referred too.  I was thinking if you used 40-03 on the Army side it would only give you a very small part of the requirements.  Merit and a vacancy being the common thread.  No other prerequisites for appointments are available in that document besides perhaps star qualification. 

Cheers!!!  :cdn:

the army guy  :warstory:

I personally like what the sea cadets do.  I think an interview with at least the CO would be something that can be added to help decide.

Kyle, are you referring to the promotion review board?  It is a great idea.  My unit does that for the CWO position ever time.  Resume and the whole bit.  It works well and gives you some insight as to the individuals life outside cadets as well.  The CO meeting is also a valid point.  It really is important for the CO to be involved in the process at many levels. 

The Army Guy said:
Yes, I'm sure that would be the National Standard.  I was simply looking for clarification of which CATO was being referred too.  I was thinking if you used 40-03 on the Army side it would only give you a very small part of the requirements.  Merit and a vacancy being the common thread.  No other prerequisites for appointments are available in that document besides perhaps star qualification. 

Cheers!!!   :cdn:

the army guy   :warstory:

Sorry, I wasn't clearer.  I thought we were all army and speaking of the army side.

There are two requirements for the army side 1.  Star level, 2. Vacancy.  Merit is something which differes from unit to unit but is not a cut and dry prereq.

The current sysytem is better, in the long run, WRT merit.  It wasn't long ago that in order to be a substantive CWO, a cadet had to have accomplished CLI D&C.  All other CLI courses qualified a cadet to the rank of MWO.  Problem was, many of the "best" cadets chose to attend and applied for CLI Patrolling.  CLI D&C, to some, was a 2nd or 3rd choice. 

From experience, the top choices for CWO were all CLI Patrolling qualified.  The cadet with the least merit, was the only "qualified" candidate.

The Army Guy said:
Kyle, are you referring to the promotion review board?  It is a great idea.  My unit does that for the CWO position ever time.  Resume and the whole bit.  It works well and gives you some insight as to the individuals life outside cadets as well.  The CO meeting is also a valid point.  It really is important for the CO to be involved in the process at many levels. 

Yep, thats exactly what I was reffering to.

rwgill said:
Sorry, I wasn't clearer.  I thought we were all army and speaking of the army side.

There are two requirements for the army side 1.  Star level, 2. Vacancy.  Merit is something which differs from unit to unit but is not a cut and dry prereq.

From experience, the top choices for CWO were all CLI Patrolling qualified.  The cadet with the least merit, was the only "qualified" candidate.

Mr Gill.  We are Army and speaking from same.  You and I spent some time in uniform together at Ipperwash in the early 90's.  Ask me about it on PM.  The merit item is often clouded and difficult to deal with.  You make a good point about the choice of camps.  I would also add the fact that many cadets do not get accepted for camp at all.  This makes getting there for all of the prerequisites quite hard.  As well often the candidate with the most qualifications does exhibit less merit that his/her less "qualified" peer.  This is a blatant generalization I know.  It is of course only my humble opinion. 

Mr. Burrows.  The review board is an important step for the Navy program.  It's one the Army side can benefit greatly from.

the army guy    :warstory:

My squadron promotes acting ranks when we have a need for them, but no-one meets the requirements yet. For example:

To be promoted to the rank of Flight Sergeant (FSgt) you must have passed level 4, and have 80% uniform and 80% attendance. In my squadron, two sgts met the level requirement only, the other 4 met the uniform and attendance requirements only (they had only passed level 3 and are beginning 4 in the fall). Thus, our CO promoted the group of 4 to acting FSgts. I was one of those 4. I will become a full FSgt at the end of next year when I pass level 4.

Back