• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Acronyms & Abbreviations of The CAF

airmich said:
Why?  The CF is full of slang terms and acronyms.  Civies and people new to the military (heck, even when you've been around for awhile there are still new ones popping up all of the time!) are going to run into alot of them and will possibly be looking here for an explanation.  Besides, you say that and then in your list you have:

Sure, list slangs... just figure we could create an entirely seperate thread just for slangs. And that one was left in there in error.

Not to spoil your fun, or anything, but try here:

http://army.ca/words/?function=showall

Roy

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
Law & Order said:
Is the term "mike" for minutes an official term?
No

Nor is "Mike Mike" an official term for millimeters.

Nor "Kilo Mike" for Kilometers.

So why is everything called M113; M60; M16; M72; M548; M109; M1A2; M67;..........and on and on?

'Cause it is 'Merican boy, 'Merican.

Same with MIKE MIKE's....................They're 'Merican.

TLA = "Three Letter Acronym"

I poo you not.  It's in our official list as a NATO acronym.
Of course, I'm asking for "MLA" to be included, as a "Multi Letter Acronym"

;D

TLA = "Three Letter Acronym"

I poo you not.  It's in our official list as a NATO acronym.
Of course, I'm asking for "MLA" to be included, as a "Multi Letter Acronym"

;D

MLA is already taken

CDN Aviator said:
MLA is already taken
Other than "Member of Legislative Assembly", what does MLA stand for?

(Remember, "MP" means both "Military Police" and "Member of Parliament")

;D

As it's not in the Military Terms database, I'm wondering the same thing...

Other than "Member of Legislative Assembly", what does MLA stand for?

Main Line of Advance

(Remember, "MP" means both "Military Police" and "Member of Parliament")

also Maritime Patrol

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what a W/BPSO interview is? In regards to CSOR selection process.

Thanks for the help

W/BPSO = Wing or Base Personnel Selection Officer

The interview will probe those areas that are indicators of success / aptitude for being part of CSOR.  It will be something like the interview done by the Military Career Counsellor as part of the process to enroll into the military.

As for the details of what the interview covers - I'll let someone else address that issue.

George Wallace said:
So why is everything called M113; M60; M16; M72; M548; M109; M1A2; M67;..........and on and on?

:p In those instances doesn't the M stand for Model, the number (16) is the variant and the A2 part would be the improvement or Mk (Mark). But as you originally said each of those abbreviations/meanings are...

'Merican ;D

Kilfoil said:
Anyone know what "IPC" is an acronym for? Thanks

In addition to Incentive Pay Category, it can also represent Initial Planning Conference, as in the kick-off for preparing an exercise.

Back