• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ACOG banter

Can-american

Inactive
Reaction score
I am writing this in regard to the wonderful piece of gear known as the ACOG, I know a fair deal about the sight system, but have I have recently placed a different sight system acog on my m4, the version i am using now is 4x32 model ta0m4a1 I am used to the acog that involves the chevron in the retical, but the cross hair I am have had the chance to fire and adjust to my sight preference.
Does anyone have any knowledge they wish to talk about this equipment, I am wondering about zeroing along with range estimation etc. Take care

While up at Connaught Ranges, for the DCRA's NSCC, I was talking to Keith Cunningham, who is ex-CF, runs the Rifle side of NSCC, and just started his own Association the "OSA"...and he's under the impression that tha ACOG is a POS. He mentioned it not holding a Zero?
I hear the EOTech's are decent though.

CF_Lifer said:
While up at Connaught Ranges, for the DCRA's NSCC, I was talking to Keith Cunningham, who is ex-CF, runs the Rifle side of NSCC, and just started his own Association the "OSA"...and he's under the impression that tha ACOG is a POS. He mentioned it not holding a Zero?
I hear the EOTech's are decent though.

There are enough people running ACOGs that I think that one man's opinion may only be one man's opinion.

ACOG and EOTech serve two different roles. ACOGs are usually magnified, whereas the EOTech is made for close range instinctive shooting- although the new magnifier for it is very interesting.

Uhm tell Keith to put the bottle down...

I know one unit suffered zero shifts on a certain ACOG model - but it was the TA01NSN and later attributed to the mount interface with the CF flattop as opposed to the M1913 rail it was meant for.

ACOG's are rock solid - far superior to the C79/C79A2 ELCAN.

The TA31F (Chevron) is a BAC scope - while the TA01NSN scope is not -- the TA31 is a superior combat scope but the crosshair on the NSN is better for range shooting for groups.

I have beat the hell out of my ACOG, no shift of POI at all,it is no S&B Short Dot but a perfectly fine combat optic. Keith must have been trying to sell something to you if he was bad mouthing the ACOG. :)

ACOGs for the US Army
10-Oct-2007 17:19
Article Link

Major General J.N. Mattis, Commanding General of the 1st Marine Division during Operation Iraqi Freedom, called them "the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in WWII." The USMC calls them the first-ever Rifle Combat Optic (RCO) of the United States Marine Corps, and placed a $660 million order for up to 800,000 in 2005.

Trijicon Inc. in Wixom, MI calls them ACOG – Advanced Combat Optical Gunsights® whose Bindon Aiming Concept™ permits a both-eyes-open shooting method in fast moving Close Quarter Battle (CQB) scenarios like urban warfare. The soldier has both eyes open for better identification and fewer mistakes, and once a decision is made it's just "put the dot on target and shoot" – and leave the batteries at home. Now the US Army calls ACOGs their M150 Rifle Combat Optic, thanks to a significant order…

Although the ACOGs have many features which are very advantageous for military use, they were originally developed by Trijicon without government funding. They're an excellent example of product development, however, because the US Army has now added itself to the customer roster beside the USMC and US SOCOM, via their M150 Rifle Combat Optic (RCO) program's 5-year contract for up to 135,000 ACOGs.

ACOGs combine traditional, precise distance marksmanship with close-in aiming speed. The Army is buying internally-adjustable, compact telescopic sights that are dual-illuminated, with tritium phosphor lamp (low light)/ fiber optic (day) system reticle patterns that can function without batteries. The scopes are machined from solid, 7075-T6 aluminum alloy and filled with dry nitrogen filled to prevent fogging, then coatings are added to ensure excellent clarity even under battle conditions, when the soldiers' eyes may not be perfectly in-line. Highly accurate from muzzle out to 800 meters, the ACOG incorporates a built-in bullet drop compensator tuned to the M16/M4 family of weapons, allowing the shooter to immediately engage threats no matter the distance.
More on link

Back