• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Accommodations on U.S. bases

Chummy

Inactive
Reaction score
Apologies if there is already a thread... I searched, but didn't find it.

My question is: anecdotally, I understand that CF members, and particularly some Naval Reservists, have been able to use U.S. military facilities such as Navy Lodge when on leave, in various choice locales. Other reg force members I know have stayed on US bases when off-duty travelling in the 'States. Naturally this was subject to availability and taking your chances against the facility being required for US duty personnel or active duty pers' families. Fair enough.

However, it appears from the Navy Lodge website that "international military" is restricted to people on TD or posted to the area (PCS I assume means "permanent change of station").

Has anyone had recent experience with non-duty use of U.S. facilities by CF pers? If so, what are the ins and outs?

I don't doubt that it was once available, but is this still available? I'll make phone calls to the reservation lines for info, but if someone knows of a global policy, I would be interested to know about it. Will a CF ID even get us on a US base anymore, e.g. if I wanted to head down from Victoria and find a high collar white tunic in Everett or something? Which begs the question, can a current CF member not on exchange in the US even shop at the NEX? 

Chummy said:
Which begs the question, can a current CF member not on exchange in the US even shop at the NEX? 

Yes you can.  When we sailed to different bases, we could have friends/family visit and they only had to show their military ID to get into the base and therefore into the NEX.  Be aware though, that some bases will close at the drop of a hat to anyone except their own, due to security etc.  I found it happens far more regularly then our own do.

As for the accommodations, there is a thread somewhere around here talking about it.

edited to add: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47177.0/all.html

Navy Lodges can be used by anybody with a ID card. They are the same price as a regular Holiday Inn or just below.

In Boston, there is an awesome USO Hotel at the Constitution Pier. Its a 10 minute walk to the ship , and the free water shuttle to downtown is across the street.

Check the USO out in any port you go, as they either have there own hotels or like in NYC will give you 50% off vouchers for hotels right in Time Square. (Sweet)

If you have a ID Card you can shop at most NEX's except for Rota , Spain and you may not buy meat from any Commissary as it is subsidized.

I wish Canada was so accommodating to the military

Thanks, your responses and the other thread are most helpful. I guess the CF must enjoy a slightly different status than "international military" generally, as I would not have guessed that degree of access based on the Navy Lodge website. I'm definitely encouraged to follow up and use this.

Just remember that some bases are "space A" only ( space available) and wont take reservations for non-duty travel.

HFXCrow said:
you may not buy meat from any Commissary as it is subsidized.

You mean that for NAS Rota only right ? Because......

And to buy hard liquor at NAS Sigonella, Sicily, you need to be issued with a special "ration card" from the americans otherwise...no duty-free for you !! (well...from the NEX that is)

In NAS Rota, only the US may use the PX.

Meat purchasing includes Norfolk and Roosey and Charleston. As we wanted to have section Bar-b-ques and we tried to purchase and we were told we needed a special card.

I seem to remember an Irish bar at Sig 2 and an Dance club near the gym (converted McDonalds) at Sig 1. It's a little hazy...

HFXCrow said:
In NAS Rota, only the US may use the PX.

Never been to Rota

Meat purchasing includes Norfolk and Roosey and Charleston. As we wanted to have section Bar-b-ques and we tried to purchase and we were told we needed a special card.

It does not include NAS North Island, MCRD San Diego, Naval Station San Diego, NAB Coronado, Point Loma Submarine base, MCBH Kanehoe Bay, Naval base Pearl Harbour, NAS Sigonella, Elmondorf AFB........

I seem to remember an Irish bar at Sig 2 and an Dance club near the gym (converted McDonalds) at Sig 1. It's a little hazy...

Didnt spend much time at NAS 1 other than NEX/Comissary.  I think i know what you are refering to about the bar at NAS 2

Last time I used a Navy Lodge was in August 2006, in Everett, WA.  No hassles.  As long as there is space Cdn Military can get in.

I know people who stayed at navy lodges in Norfolk, New York, Panama City Florida and so forth. Never had any problems buying at the local commissary or the package store. Military can also stay at places such as the Union Jack club in London, for a cheap rate. If your in the States, look up the local USO office and they can fix you up with tourist information, cheap tickets to sporting events, plays and other fun things to do. Wish we had that in Canada.

While I was in the navy and in San diego, i would just walk over to the Marine base and stay there, so much better than the ship. never gave me a hassle, of course that was al pre 9-11

Back