• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Access to gym at St. Jean / BMQ / BMOQ

Raeden said:
Thanks for the tips! I hope I can manage to retain some size & strength by time I'm finished there.

If I get any weekends off I can drive home as I've said too so perhaps I can stall the degradation somewhat.

I appreciate that your muscles are important to you at the moment and I get that, but your career choice should be more important and as such I wouldn't focus too much on your loss of gains.

I found basic hard to keep any gains I had made partially due to being too tired to workout whenver we did have free time, as well as nutrition factors and sleep deprivation. Basic training (and probably all of your training courses) are not ideal environments for muscle gain, but don't worry about that. Also keep in mind that protein powder and creatine and whatever else you're taking probably won't be allowed at basic but please check elsewhere because I may be wrong on that.

dangles said:
Also keep in mind that protein powder and creatine and whatever else you're taking probably won't be allowed at basic but please check elsewhere because I may be wrong on that.

Supplements on BMQ (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/4051.0/nowap.html

dangles said:
I appreciate that your muscles are important to you at the moment and I get that, but your career choice should be more important and as such I wouldn't focus too much on your loss of gains.

I found basic hard to keep any gains I had made partially due to being too tired to workout whenver we did have free time, as well as nutrition factors and sleep deprivation. Basic training (and probably all of your training courses) are not ideal environments for muscle gain, but don't worry about that. Also keep in mind that protein powder and creatine and whatever else you're taking probably won't be allowed at basic but please check elsewhere because I may be wrong on that.

I am doing it all natural without protein powder & supplements! I know the career is important. I don't intend on sacrificing my career developments/skills for my own muscle gains. I would just like to work on my own physical goals along side career ones!

Thanks for your input! I understand what you're saying. Speaking of nutrition. In your free time can you eat? Or are there only dedicated feeding times?

Keep in mind you will be marching, climbing stairs, and numerous other activities daily.  You will need rest as much or more than iron slinging time.

Raeden said:
In your free time can you eat? Or are there only dedicated feeding times?

http://army.ca/forums/threads/118168/post-1355905.html#msg1355905
Reply #4

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page

We had a pro bodybuilder on our course who ate as much as he could and still lost almost 25 lbs by the end. It's fine tho... he gained it back with the borden 40! Ha!

I am week three at basic right now and I've lost a lot of mass that I had before, along with a few of my mates in my platoon. Don't worry though you'll get it back. Basic is more to do with the mental readiness of a candidate than their muscle mass. Don't get me wrong you need to be prepared for basic physically but worry more about your head space.

I was just wondering if you were able to use the fitness facilities during basic training. Ive heard you aren't allowed and for some reason apparently frowned upon to use them. This doesn't make sense to me so just wanted to confirm it. Starting July 24

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Lloydjohn93 said:
I was just wondering if you were able to use the fitness facilities during basic training.

You will have access to the following services at the St-Jean Garrison:

a.chapel (Protestant and Roman Catholic) and Inter-faith Room;
b.internet (limited access);
c.public telephones;
d.a general store (CANEX) with dry cleaning service;
e.barber;
f.banking facilities (ATMs for BMO and Caisse populaire Desjardins);
g.post office; and
h.physical training and recreation facilities.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page

Lloydjohn93 said:
I was just wondering if you were able to use the fitness facilities during basic training. Ive heard you aren't allowed and for some reason apparently frowned upon to use them. This doesn't make sense to me so just wanted to confirm it. Starting July 24

Ultimately, it depends on staff. On my first pl, at the beginning of course, recruits were asking about wanting to use the facilities for working out and such on the weekends. Staff said no, for a few reasons.

1) They don't want anyone injuring themselves.

2) During Indoc there's too much to do and recruits are confined to their floors/rooms after the working day is over anyway.

3) Once Indoc is over staff generally encouraged the recruits to leave the base, go decompress with friends, relax outside the mega.

There were probably other reasons also, I would think...

Later on in the course, however, staff said to submit memos requesting usage of the pool, weight room, etc.

Some recruits are very concerned about maintaining the workout regimen they had prior to getting to St Jean, especially if they were into weights. But many quickly realize it's not possible (at least not at first) and the PT/physical activity engaged in during course is substantial when combined. (Drill, marching everywhere all day, PT, up and down stairs, corrective measures, etc)

On my second pl, it was a flat out "No." So it all depends, unless that has concretely changed since I was there.

Thanks a lot for the info, I weight train 5 days a week and run everyday already so fitness is big in my life so that's mainly why I was wondering, hopefully I can if not ill end up training on weekends off base after the indoc period

My question would be how much time do you actually have to get to the gym.

I'm assuming weightlifting is a staple in your life as it is in mine and I had a similar question. I wouldn't mind just getting in sets of Squats, Deadlifts,bench Press,bent over rows, shoulder Press and pull-ups once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah me as well, just the basic power movements since cardio is covered throughout that time

Well that's good information. To be honest I can go 3 months without going to the gym. Career is top priority and doing my best in basic physically and mentally. If I can get in some gym during the 3 months it is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back