• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Academic Recognition of Military Experience

enfield

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘ve posted this on soccnet and the LFRR page, but I want to get as many responses as possible.

I recently looked into getting academic credit for the upcoming CRIC Bosnia tour, but have discovered that there is no allowance at UBC for military experience, combined with some sort of academic paper, to be recognized for credits.

I talked to one prof, an expert in conflict management and worked on the Somalia report, who lamented the fact that such equivalency was not available and commented that many reservists and ex-regs ahd asked him about similar programs before.

I believe that there should a military-acadmeic relationship, a bridge, that provides credit for the performance of academic papers based on personal overseas experience. If sitting in a classroom and reading a few books can get me credits in Int‘l Conflict Mannagement, why not some sort of credit for actually DOING the job and conducting an acadmeic analysis of your experience.

This isn‘t out of the blue- the Militia already plans training and courses around students, offers tuition reimbursement, and is actively trying to promote academic progress amongst members - I believe there is some sort of program for senior officers in this regard.
Why not create a relationship beween DND and academia that gives military experience some civvie-world worth?

A very good idea, but one that is not limited to the CF and the military in general.

As a customs officer, we gain knoweldge and experience in many facets of law, trade administration, business, accounting principles, sociology, and other areas for which absolutely no recognition is given by universities. We train in an adult learning environment that mimicks somewhat an academic setting, yet the piece of paper we get for our 9 weeks of troubles at Rigaud isn‘t worth squat outside of the CCRA.

The police have similar problems, as I am sure other trades do as well. Although I am told York University will give equivalency to police officers in Ontario who meet certain qualifications, which mean they could end up finishing a degree part-time in about the same time as it would take a full-time student, 3-4 years. This is an exception to the rule.

The fact is, many professions offer academic-level experience and knowledge, and people working in those fields simply do not have the resources to be able to quit or go part-time/casual in order to return to school. In the police, for example, this is expressly not possible! You are expected to be available to work just like everybody else.

Try the University of Manitoba - they do some equivalancies for formal CF courses. Maybe more, not sure though.

My information may be dated, but Univeristy of Manitoba used to run a program in conjunction with the CF. I believe they evaluate and provide equivalency recognition for your qualifications (i.e., work experience - to a certain limit of credits, courses offered by the military - again, to a certain limit of credits, and courses taken at other universities). Based on this evaluation, they would determine what was required to complete a BA or BSc. In the end, they issue your degree.

You might also want to check with RMC, since it has greatly expanded its mandate to offer many courses outside of the traditional ROTP.

Finally, consider spending some serious time on the internet searching for schools that do offer credit for military experience. I think you would be particularly successful with US or UK schools. Many of these schools would allow you to continue your education through distance learning.

DL is not correspondence. Typically, you receive textbooks and workbooks, and possibly online tutorials, and work more or less at your own pace until you are ready to complete the exam. There may (although not typically) be assignments submitted,for credit or not. The exam should be offered at a recognized institution and should be properly proctored. Some of these DL schools are highly regarded. A sign of a good DL school is that it is run out of the facilities of a "normal" university of good repute.

I was impressed with the materials provided while I continued my MBA studies for the year I was on the Golan. I was able to complete both the Finance and Accounting courses from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. These were readily accepted for credit when I transferred to the MBA program at Queen‘s University.

I don‘t think you will find a reputable school that will offer a degree based 100% on work experience and non-university courses, however. University programs are as much about developing theoretical understanding, and appropriate analysis skills, etc. of the subject area in its larger context as they are about pure techincal skills in a job area. If your courses and experience are more practical in nature, you may have to investigate a community college version of the above.

Best of luck.

There is a program out there that is called "CF community College Program". It is an arrangement between the CF and Collège Ahuntsic in Montréal. With this program, you can get credit for your military experience. You can get answers to your questions at the following adress:

COLLÈGE AHUNTSIC
9155 rue St-hubert
Montréal, Qc
H2M 1YB

Phone: (514) 389-5921 ext 2130
Fax: (514) 389-4554

Good luck!!!

Still Looking,
I dont think Ahuntsic does this anymore, You used to be able to input Mil courses, in English, now I dont see it anywhere.

Algonquin College recognizes military experiences for some of their programs.  I am working toward the Basic Office Administration Certificate.  I was given credit for 7 of the 11 courses needed because I was QL6 qualified. 

You need to look at this thread, it has lots of details on were NCMPD is going and programs at Algonquin.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/108362.0

The Digital Chief has unfortunately retired, but his FB page is still up, it will just not be updated.

Another option which no one seems to have mentioned yet is Royal Roads University in Victoria (www.royalroads.ca).  While I didn't get any credits for my mil experience (apparently being an Artillery officer has very little to do with getting an MBA...), their flexible admission process (http://www.royalroads.ca/prospective-students/flexible-admission) takes into account what you've done throughout your career and can provide that extra push that you need to gain acceptance into your chosen program.  Despite having been closed as a military college almost 20 years ago, Royal Roads still tries to facilitate educational requirements of CAF members.

Update-
Algonquin wont give equivalencies,
they only have this special exciting  Diploma in Military Arts and Science.

Nothing really specific to your trade etc.

As a local alternative to UBC, BCIT offers credit towards their BBA program for military experience.

http://www.bcit.ca/legion/

From what I've heard from more than a few folks, approaching the Registrar with your MPRR may be a route to having a university provide equivalencies for mil trg.

One of my sgts recently got three university crs credits for his PLQ and ILQ. I don't have details handy, but one of our officers has requested, in light of this, and from the same university, crs credits for his BMOQ-L.

If you can demonstrate a connection btwn relevant crs and mil trg crs, who knows...

Back