• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

scm77

Inactive
Reaction score
Al-Qaida in Iraq leader is dead, prime minister announces
TERROR MASTERMIND WAS KILLED IN AIR RAID NORTH OF BAGHDAD

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of Al-Qaida in Iraq who led a bloody campaign of suicide bombings, kidnappings and hostage beheadings in Iraq, has been killed in a U.S. air raid north of Baghdad, Iraq's prime minister said today.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, with the top U.S. general in Iraq, Gen. George Casey, said al-Zarqawi was killed Wednesday evening along with seven aides. Casey said Zarqawi's body was identified by fingerprints and facial recognition.

Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. ambassador to Iraq, says killing of Zarqawi marks a great success for Iraq and the global war on terror.

The Jordanian-born militant, who was believed to have personally beheaded at least two American hostages, became Iraq's most wanted militant, as notorious as Osama bin Laden, to whom he swore allegiance in 2004. The United States had put a $25 million bounty on Zarqawi, the same as bin Laden.

In the past year, he moved his campaign beyond Iraq's borders, claiming to have carried out a Nov. 9, 2005, triple suicide bombing against hotels in Amman, Jordan, that killed 60 people, as well as other attacks in Jordan and even a rocket attack from Lebanon into northern Israel.

U.S. forces and their allies came close to capturing Zarqawi several times since his campaign began in mid-2003.

His closest brush may have come in late 2004. Deputy Interior Ministry Maj. Gen. Hussein Kamal said Iraqi security forces caught Zarqawi near the insurgent stronghold of Al-Fallujah but then released him because they didn't realize who he was.

In May 2005, Web statements by his group said Zarqawi had been wounded in fighting with Americans and was being treated in a hospital abroad -- raising speculation over a successor among his lieutenants. But days later, a statement said Zarqawi was fine and had returned to Iraq. There was never any independent confirmation of the reports of his wounding.

U.S. forces believe they just missed capturing Zarqawi in a Feb. 20, 2005, raid in which troops closed in on his vehicle west of Baghdad near the Euphrates River. His driver and another associate were captured and Zarqawi's computer was seized along with pistols and ammunition.

U.S. troops twice launched massive invasions of Al-Fallujah, the stronghold used by Al-Qaida in Iraq fighters and other insurgents west of Baghdad. An April 2004 offensive left the city still in insurgent hands, but the October 2004 assault wrested it from them. However, Zarqawi -- if he was in the city -- escaped.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/14768265.htm

Another article here.
-------------------
Enjoy your virgins you piece of shit!

Some pictures.

71151824.jpg

71151821.jpg

71151827.jpg

Baghdad, IRAQ: An Iraqi woman shares Iraqi soldiers their joy minutes after hearing Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki announcing 08 June 2006 the death of al-Qaeda leader in Iraq Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Nuri said Zarqawi "has been eliminated," in a combined US-Iraqi raid north of the restive city of Baquba, southeast of Baghdad. AFP PHOTO/ALL AL-SAADI (Photo credit should read ALI AL-SAADI/AFP/Getty Images)

Good riddance.   :cheers:

It shall be interesting to see how this plays out; obviously, it isn't going to do much, as the insurgency is in full swing now, but I am curious of what the effect of losing the figurehead of jihad will do.  Should give us an indication of what will happen when we bag Osama and Co.

On CNN right now. Zarqawi was killed by percision US airstrikes. Not much more information available. Sorry no link. I am watching it on TV and Im in a hurry.

Although  I doubt it will make much difference he was one rat bastard and got what was coming to him.  I hope all his virgins are fat and toothless.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200606/s1658906.htm

Terrorism in Iraq 'not over' despite Zarqawi death
By Middle East correspondent Matt Brown and wires

US President George W Bush says American special forces "delivered justice" to Al Qaeda's leader in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, by killing him in an air strike.

Mr Bush called Zarqawi's death a victory in the war on terrorism, but says the insurgents' attacks will continue.

President Bush says Zarqawi was located after the Americans received intelligence tip-offs from Iraqis.

"Coalition and Iraqi forces persevered through years of near misses and false leads, and they never gave up," he said.

"Last night, their persistence and determination were rewarded.

"On behalf of all Americans, I congratulate our troops on this remarkable achievement," he said.

But he says, despite the death, the "difficult and necessary mission" in Iraq continues.

"We can expect the terrorists and insurgents to carry on without him," he said.

"We can expect the sectarian violence to continue. Yet the ideology of terror has lost one of its most visible and aggressive leaders."

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki announced to a media conference in Baghdad that Zarqawi was dead.

The commander of coalition forces in Iraq, General George Casey, says senior members of Zarqawi's own network gave his forces information that led to a remote safehouse just outside the town of Baquba, north of Baghdad, and Zarqawi was killed in an airstrike soon after.

But General Casey says Al Qaeda remains a threat, and other members of the network will continue to carry out attacks in Iraq.

No illusions

British Prime Minister Tony Blair says he had "no illusions" that Zarqawi's death would alone lead to stability in Iraq, but welcomed it as a blow to Al-Qaeda everywhere.

"And if we defeat Al Qaeda in Iraq, we will defeat them everywhere," Mr Blair said.

The Prime Minister John Howard says the death is great news for the people of Iraq.

He says not only does the death remove a cruel terrorist, it is also a huge boost for anti-terrorist forces in Iraq.

The Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer says he is delighted Zarqawi has been killed.

"Normally I like to feel a reasonably mainstream compassionate Australian wouldn't express any pleasure at the death of anybody, but frankly this man is well and truly out of the way," he said.

Website posting

A website linked to the Al-Qaeda network in Iraq says the group has vowed to continue the jihad waged by Zarqawi.

"We herald the martydom of our mujahed (warrior) Sheikh Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in Iraq ... and we stress that this is an honour to our nation," said a statement on an Islamist website, signed by Zarqawi's deputy, Abu Abdulrahman al-Iraqi.

The authenticity of the statement could not immediately be verified, but the website has been used by the group in the past.

- AFP/Reuters

Neither were several of his 'Lieutenants'.  ;D

Let's hope there isn't a 'hydra' under that layer.

Kudos to TF 145. I think we will learn that much of the top leadership died along with Zarqawi.

tomahawk6 said:
Kudos to TF 145. I think we will learn that much of the top leadership died along with Zarqawi.

Apparently, the hunting team had intentionally been leaving Zarqawi's Lieutenants free to move around in order to follow them in the hopes of finding their primary target.  Once Zarqawi was confirmed killed they executed 17 raids within a couple of hours to round up "the second tier".

Matthew.  :salute:

I hope they tied him by the ankles and dragged him 5 times around the walls of the city.  Maybe burying him in a pig skin?

Kat Stevens said:
I hope they tied him by the ankles and dragged him 5 times around the walls of the city.  Maybe burying him in a pig skin?

Not this again.  I hope they buried what was left of him according to his faith. The cycle of rage has to end somewhere.

What sets apart a professional soldier from a maniacal murderer?

Congratulations to the US troops and their allies who helped bring some closure to the families of al-Zarqawi's many victims.

This is great news, but I have to agree with Infanteer that it probably won't change much.

However, maybe this will give the Iraqi Government a little bit of breathing room and allow it to get on its feet.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060608/abu_musab_060608

This is all over the news on television this morning as well.

HL

Apparently they acted on information provided by the locals.  What I want to hear next is that the 25 mil US bounty was paid promptly and correctly. 

Everyone who wants to see success in Iraq can brag about it. Those that dont won't. :skull:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back